New Soccer Team Planned for Winnipeg

Started by Lamename, June 04, 2018, 07:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamename

I was hoping that multiple decades of being the football club of Winnipeg would mean something but I see the Bombers are doing the generic FC route with their soccer team.

Why hurt the branding to appease 5000 soccer fans in IGF?

Its fine to call a team SC in NA, other teams in MLS already do so and are successful brands.

I actually informed Carol the ticket manage my disappointment. She seemed to slightly agree, so they might listen if enough mention it.

Jesse

I'm going to give a big ol' "who cares?" on this one.
My wife is amazing!

gbill2004

Quote from: Jesse on June 04, 2018, 07:51:26 PM
I'm going to give a big ol' "who cares?" on this one.
Me too.  I'm not a soccer fan so I couldn't care less. 

Sir Blue and Gold

They should have named the soccer team the 'Winnipeg Football Club'. Ha.

bluengold204

Could have provided a source to said name but I guess that's ok

Darwinismyhomeboy

ModAdmin

Canadian Premier League to unveil Winnipeg's new professional soccer club.

Canada's highly anticipated professional men's soccer league is set to debut in the spring of 2019.

Speakers onsite include:

David Clanachan -Commissioner, Canadian Premier League

Cathy Cox -Minister of Sport, Culture and Heritage
Wade Miller -President & CEO,Winnipeg Football Club

300+ local supporters

Date: Wednesday, June 6, 2018
Time:
Doors open at 2p.m. CT - event starts at 2:30p.m.CT

(please enter through the Bomber Store)
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

GOLDMEMBER

Never heard of the league!

Minor league to mls?

I do not care either
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

kkc60

I personally am not a big soccer fan but I know soccer is a great sport for kids to play and its probably one of the safest to play. So it might be good for kids to be able to see that they can go somewhere with soccer just like kids see that with football, hockey and baseball

Big Daddy

Quote from: kkc60 on June 05, 2018, 02:26:06 AM
I personally am not a big soccer fan but I know soccer is a great sport for kids to play and its probably one of the safest to play. So it might be good for kids to be able to see that they can go somewhere with soccer just like kids see that with football, hockey and baseball

Actually, drama class in school is even more safe.  But soccer at least gets kids running around.  So I guess soccer is the same as a drama class, but with a good workout.

I think I finally see the attraction to soccer...

bwiser

The Bombers were a team that played at Winnipeg Stadium and the Jets played at Winnipeg Arena.Imagination doesn't seem to be this cities sports teams strong suit.

TecnoGenius

Soccer, meh... hours of guys running back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth.  Hours of nothing happening.  Then someone gets 1 goal if you're lucky.  And if I hear another vuvuzela in my lifetime I'm going to flip out.  Rather watch curling... but I will say it's a tie watching soccer vs watching golf.

Has the CFL season started yet???
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Big Daddy on June 05, 2018, 02:34:05 AM
Actually, drama class in school is even more safe.  But soccer at least gets kids running around.  So I guess soccer is the same as a drama class, but with a good workout.

I think I finally see the attraction to soccer...

Don't get me started on kid's soccer, going through that right now with my kids and it is torturous, **** mamby-pamby soccer Mom's trying to subvert natural selection by stifling competition and stuffing them full of oranges and watermelon after 15 mins. of tepid exercise.  Ought to ship them all off to South America and let them screw up their soccer development, maybe Canada could then qualify for the World Cup. 

Want to turn some heads, stand on the sidelines and yell "attack" at a 10 y.o.'s soccer game, they'll organize and vote you off the island right quick.  I speak from experience.

blue_or_die

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 05, 2018, 06:39:08 AM
Don't get me started on kid's soccer, going through that right now with my kids and it is torturous, **** mamby-pamby soccer Mom's trying to subvert natural selection by stifling competition and stuffing them full of oranges and watermelon after 15 mins. of tepid exercise.  Ought to ship them all off to South America and let them screw up their soccer development, maybe Canada could then qualify for the World Cup. 

Want to turn some heads, stand on the sidelines and yell "attack" at a 10 y.o.'s soccer game, they'll organize and vote you off the island right quick.  I speak from experience.

:D

Sounds like someone isn't too popular at the kids' soccer games.
#Ride?

rubanski

Quote from: Lamename on June 04, 2018, 07:47:32 PM
I actually informed Carol the ticket manage my disappointment. She seemed to slightly agree, so they might listen if enough mention it.

You realize that's Carol's job. Making you feel like she slightly agreed and are happy with her service at the ticket office.

Whoever you are Carol, I tip my cap to you today, another successful call!

CoryB

Quote from: Big Daddy on June 05, 2018, 02:34:05 AM
Actually, drama class in school is even more safe.

I would say football soccer is actually safer than drama class. My son managed to get a concussion in drama...

So apparently the name has leaked an it is Valour. What do people think of that?

blue_or_die

Quote from: CoryB on June 05, 2018, 07:20:44 PM
I would say football soccer is actually safer than drama class. My son managed to get a concussion in drama...

So apparently the name has leaked an it is Valour. What do people think of that?

I like the military ode. Keeps in line with the Jets and Bombers (ya ya I know the Bomber name isn't actually a military thing).

I was hoping for Rebellion. Could have done a cool Metis theme.
#Ride?

Sir Blue and Gold

Valour FC? I would have liked a more Winnipeg or Manitoba centric name but I probably will only go a couple times a year at most.

VictorRomano

Quote from: kkc60 on June 05, 2018, 02:26:06 AM

Quote from: CoryB on June 05, 2018, 07:20:44 PM

Actual medical studies in Canada show that soccer is the #1 sport for serious physical injuries in children - higher than hockey, football, rugby, basketball, and snowboarding, and particularly in the 10-14 range.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3878023/

Personally, I'm a high school teacher, varsity boys/girls rugby coach, and Red Cross-certified first responder at my school.  I treat way more basketball, volleyball and soccer injuries than I do rugby injuries.

theaardvark

Valour or Valor?  Either way, great name...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

ModAdmin

It's Valour as in Valour FC.

They will begin to play out of Investors Group Field in the spring of 2019.

Early membership deposits can be made starting June 8th.

Average price per game will be $20 for adults and $12 for youth.

More details will be forthcoming.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: ModAdmin on June 06, 2018, 08:45:00 PM
It's Valour as in Valour FC.
like the name not really a soccer buff though

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 05, 2018, 07:43:28 PM
Valour FC? I would have liked a more Winnipeg or Manitoba centric name but I probably will only go a couple times a year at most.

Like what Winnipeg united? Meh No Manitoba united No Winnipeg FC Nah

New_Earth_Mud

I see complaining about adding things to our City as pretty stupid.

IGF And the Bombers support this and doing so..... i figure they will make money to Pay for IGF

So not supporting this new team to our city will only hurt.

#35.... The Godfather of Swag

TecnoGenius

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on June 07, 2018, 02:42:52 AM
I see complaining about adding things to our City as pretty stupid.

IGF And the Bombers support this and doing so..... i figure they will make money to Pay for IGF

So not supporting this new team to our city will only hurt.

You're right, anything that gets fans (money) into IGF is 100% a good thing.

People are just moaning in general at the lameness of professional soccer.  I bet the number of BB STHs that go to >1 soccer game @IFG will be under 5%.  Football fans tend to like real football.  ;)

Hey, how are they going to handle the field transition?  There could be weeks with both BB and soccer games... do they just roll up the turf and put the other one down?  Or repaint it each time?  Hope this doesn't mess it up for the WFC.  And with weekday BB practices too!  Groundskeeper's job just got a whole lot tougher.  I hope they are making it abundantly clear who the #1 tenant is!
Never go full Rider!

In Motion

Valour is the Canadian spelling; Valor is American. I like the name. Wouldn't mind Manitoba FC or Winnipeg FC either.

It is fitting too, given the history of Valour Rd. in Winnipeg from whence three war heroes came,
all winning the highest honour, the Victoria Cross, for bravery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tao7ma4jxUQ

Actually, I like watching soccer occasionally. There is a method to the build-up, and there are flashes of brilliance.
The endurance required is something else one must admire.

I plan to go to some games.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: In Motion on June 07, 2018, 04:59:21 AM
Valour is the Canadian spelling; Valor is American. I like the name. Wouldn't mind Manitoba FC or Winnipeg FC either.

It is fitting too, given the history of Valour Rd. in Winnipeg from whence three war heroes came,
all winning the highest honour, the Victoria Cross, for bravery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tao7ma4jxUQ

Actually, I like watching soccer occasionally. There is a method to the build-up, and there are flashes of brilliance.
The endurance required is something else one must admire.

I plan to go to some games.

They actually grew up on Pine St., the street was renamed Valour Rd. in 1925 in honour of the 3 Victoria Cross recipients.  My grandfather's brother lived two houses down from the Clark family, he didn't receive any medals but he never came back from WW1 either.

bluengold204

Colton

Looks cool, pretty nice colour palette too. Excited to check out a game when they start

blue_or_die

Nice!

Although I would have used the same navy blue as the Bomber's past uniform rather than black, or that of the 50s throwbacks from a decade ago.
#Ride?

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: blue_or_die on June 07, 2018, 08:55:39 PM
Nice!

Although I would have used the same navy blue as the Bomber's past uniform rather than black, or that of the 50s throwbacks from a decade ago.

There is a reason for the colours tho.

I like it and i like footy ....ill go to games forsure.

Colton

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on June 07, 2018, 09:17:45 PM

There is a reason for the colours tho.

I like it and i like footy ....ill go to games forsure.

Always good to establish your own unique identity too.

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: Colton on June 07, 2018, 10:03:51 PM
Always good to establish your own unique identity too.

Agree....  I really like it.

Same sorta theme but in a diff way with diff colours.

blue_or_die

Just not a fan of black in most sports uniforms, and blue is my favourite colour. I like the Bombers' royals but was a huge fan of the navy colour (notsomuch the jersey). Sharp.
#Ride?

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: blue_or_die on June 08, 2018, 01:55:26 AM
Just not a fan of black in most sports uniforms, and blue is my favourite colour. I like the Bombers' royals but was a huge fan of the navy colour (notsomuch the jersey). Sharp.

If you read it there is a reason for the colours.

As im all growin up im pretty sure im over the whole fav colour thing.

bluengold204

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on June 08, 2018, 04:34:43 AM

If you read it there is a reason for the colours.

As im all growin up im pretty sure im over the whole fav colour thing.

Can never be too old to have a favourite colour...

bomber4life85

So from what I read by 2026 they plan to be at 16 teams. I like the idea but my bf isn?t very hopeful because it?s the left overs that can?t make MLS or go to Europe. He figures quality will be poor. I?m not sure if that?s going to bring thousands of fans into the stands. Wade Miller expects up to 9,000 per game. Realistically what do you figure will be the average attendance? My bf figures 5k.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: bomber4life85 on December 10, 2018, 05:37:43 AM
So from what I read by 2026 they plan to be at 16 teams. I like the idea but my bf isn?t very hopeful because it?s the left overs that can?t make MLS or go to Europe. He figures quality will be poor. I?m not sure if that?s going to bring thousands of fans into the stands. Wade Miller expects up to 9,000 per game. Realistically what do you figure will be the average attendance? My bf figures 5k.

I think it will depend largely on how bad it is. My best guess is that the quality will be terrible, certainly compared to Europe and probably even MLS. It's not even the "leftovers from Europe" because Europe has a ton of leagues that vary in skill.

Theoretically, I should be in the target market, as I watch every Bayern Munich game, follow the Bundesliga and also the Premier League casually but I'm in no way excited for whatever this league is. My mind could be changed I guess, but the quality of play would have to far exceed what I think it will deliver. The sport is partially to blame, I can watch bad hockey and still enjoy it but my god is bad soccer terrible to watch. MLS is getting better but you watch an MLS game and compare it to any of the European top flights and it's night and day.

The Zipp

How many games in a season ?

It will be like the Goldeyes - hopefully the game day experience can be good, might be tough in such a big stadium.

blue_or_die

Quote from: The Zipp on December 12, 2018, 01:19:31 AM
How many games in a season ?

It will be like the Goldeyes - hopefully the game day experience can be good, might be tough in such a big stadium.

Yeah, kind of think it'll be more about the hot dogs, mini donuts and bringing your little ones. Like Goldeyes, or Moose even (which has become more of a family thing since returning compared to the only hockey in town pre-2011).

I don't have kids and am not a soccer fan, so I'm not exactly going to rush out to a game. I am also not a baseball fan but like sports in general, going to stadiums for the concessions and game day experience, and cheering for any home team, so I get out to 1-2 per year usually. I am mildly interested enough in Valour to check it out, and am happy for all those who are really into it that they have something "professional" to see. If I had kids, especially ones who played/liked soccer, I would find this a really great thing.
#Ride?

bomber4life85

So single game tickets are onsale as of today for all home games at IGF. Tickets range between 20 and 58$ for single seats. They also have mini packs available minimum 6 games for purchase too.. I with they would start at 3 or 4 games because 6 minimum is like half the season almost. I think we are going to go to a few games forsure but dont have the time commitment for all of them.

I like the fact they got John Peacock from Manchester United as their technical consultant.. He was pretty impressed with the culture of the team and how its being run so far. He said its higher caliber of soccer than he  originally expected which is nice to hear from someone like that.

unlageabbene

Hi everyone im from usa and wanted to check out everyones ride but i cant seem to find a section where everyone have dedicated a thread for their rides, do you have that section? or even have a car of the month?

Thanks