Street parking rates almost doubled

Started by Chris1982, April 01, 2018, 05:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris1982

Wow.  Almost doubled. 

http://accesswinnipeg.com/2018/03/winnipeg-street-parking-rates-increasing-to-1-50-on-april-1/

It?s going to cost you a bit more to park in Winnipeg. The city announced that it will be increasing parking rates by $1.50 starting April 1, 2018. The current $2/hour rate will bump up to $3.50.

Each individual pay station will need to be re-programmed manually so it will take a six to eight weeks to fully implement. If the rate card still has the old rates, then it will be honoured.

To help with the transition, the Winnipeg Parking Authority will post and update a map online daily (weekdays only) that shows which pay stations have been updated.

As a bonus, the PayByPhone app will charge the old rate until all pay stations are updated. So even if your parking spot has the new rate card, you?ll continue getting the old rate with the PayByPhone app until the transition is fully complete.

Scratch and park meter passes with a lower rate will be valid until June 1, 2018.

gbill2004

That was announced a couple months ago to offset the provinces reduction in its share of funding for Winnipeg Transit.

Chris1982

Quote from: gbill2004 on April 01, 2018, 05:56:14 PM
That was announced a couple months ago to offset the provinces reduction in its share of funding for Winnipeg Transit.

Yes.  I simply posted it because it takes effect today.

gbill2004

Quote from: The Zipp on April 01, 2018, 06:12:45 PM
How we compare to other cities in Canada. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/3910557/comparing-winnipegs-proposed-parking-rates-to-other-canadian-cities/

Businesses won?t like this but I take the bus to work downtown so no impact on me. I think it?s actually fair that since my bus fare increased because of Pallister, drivers should face a similar, if not higher increase.

Chris1982

gbill2004

Quote from: Chris1982 on April 01, 2018, 06:22:43 PM
Surprised Toronto is only 4 dollars compared to Edmonton at 5 and Vancouver at 7.

Ya I thought Toronto would have been the highest.

GOLDMEMBER

I guess they city really does not want people hanging out downtown. Friend of mines car was towed at the Sunday Jets game a couple weeks back. Bravo major Bowman Bravo!!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Chris1982

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on April 02, 2018, 07:52:51 PM
I guess they city really does not want people hanging out downtown. Friend of mines car was towed at the Sunday Jets game a couple weeks back. Bravo major Bowman Bravo!!

Hmmmm.... I thought all downtown parking was free on Sunday.... maybe there was another reason he was towed.

The Zipp

Quote from: Chris1982 on April 02, 2018, 08:40:50 PM
Hmmmm.... I thought all downtown parking was free on Sunday.... maybe there was another reason he was towed.

yah...exactly...they don't tow cars for no reason - chances are the dude was in the wrong.  Terrible feeling going out to your car and it's not where you left it.  Happened to me once - I just plain read/interpreted the sign wrong and they towed me, 100% my fault.  If you go over your time in a spot they typically ticket you unless it's rush hour.

Colton

Quote from: Chris1982 on April 02, 2018, 08:40:50 PM

The city placed temporary no parking signs on Princess for something like 8-10PM (for snow clearing), but they put up those signs some time after 4:30PM, when there was a 6:00PM puck drop for the Jets. Several people had their vehicles towed who I imagine either arrived early for the game, or wanted to get dinner before the game.

Pigskin

I don't like Bowman. Our front street hasn't been cleaned in 2 years, that's summer or winter. Back lane, not once this winter.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

Quote from: Pigskin on April 07, 2018, 09:44:09 PM
I don't like Bowman. Our front street hasn't been cleaned in 2 years, that's summer or winter. Back lane, not once this winter.

You can contact 311 on the phone or by twitter, and they will address the situation.  Do it a couple times, and you will be top of the list...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

gbill2004

Quote from: theaardvark on April 08, 2018, 02:47:29 PM
You can contact 311 on the phone or by twitter, and they will address the situation.  Do it a couple times, and you will be top of the list...
Funny we?ve tried 311 a few times and usually nothing happens. They give you a reference number and that?s it.

theaardvark

Quote from: gbill2004 on April 08, 2018, 04:07:38 PM
Funny we?ve tried 311 a few times and usually nothing happens. They give you a reference number and that?s it.

They give you a reference number for a reason.  If you are not satisfied, escalate the issue.  Call back, quote the reference number, and then contact your councilor.

Squeaky wheels get greased.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.