2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics thread

Started by The Zipp, January 11, 2018, 04:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Blue and Gold

Hobo hockey team couldn't beat Germany. The most useless hockey tournament approaches its unsatisfying conclusion. Who's the best team in the world? Who knows, but it's not the Canada B C team.

gbill2004

I was only listening on the radio, but ya it really seemed like Canada was playing quite undisciplined. 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: blue_or_die on February 23, 2018, 01:42:06 PM
Sure, blame them too. FWIW, I consider the owners "Bettman" because he represents their interests entirely.

What did the IOC have to do with it, though? Did they interfere? I'm actually asking, I did not know that was the case.

Yeah, Bettman is the commissioner and he does the bidding for the Board of Governors. It's also his job to do what's best for the NHL from a business standpoint.

The IOC, who basically threw the IIF under the bus, refused to cover the costs associated with NHL players going to Olympics (travel, accommodation, insurance) and the NHL didn't want to foot the bill, much less lose revenue on shutting down the season for at least two weeks. Neither side could work out a compromise.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/nhl-ioc-olympics-1.4054346
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

gbill2004

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 23, 2018, 01:58:49 PM
Yeah, Bettman is the commissioner and he does the bidding for the Board of Governors. It's also his job to do what's best for the NHL from a business standpoint.

The IOC refused to cover the costs associated with NHL players going to Olympics (travel, accommodation, insurance) and the NHL didn't want to foot the bill, much less lose revenue on shutting down the season for at least two weeks.
from a logical standpoint, I agree with Bettman.  The IOC makes millions of dollars form the NHL players being at the Olympics.  If they don't want to share that with the NHL or at the very least cover some of the NHL's costs, that's on the IOC, not Bettman.  The IOC is just being selfish here. 

blue_or_die

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 23, 2018, 01:58:49 PM

The IOC, who basically threw the IIF under the bus, refused to cover the costs associated with NHL players going to Olympics (travel, accommodation, insurance) and the NHL didn't want to foot the bill, much less lose revenue on shutting down the season for at least two weeks. Neither side could work out a compromise.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/nhl-ioc-olympics-1.4054346

Thank you.

Quote from: gbill2004 on February 23, 2018, 02:00:47 PM
from a logical standpoint, I agree with Bettman.  The IOC makes millions of dollars form the NHL players being at the Olympics.  If they don't want to share that with the NHL or at the very least cover some of the NHL's costs, that's on the IOC, not Bettman.  The IOC is just being selfish here. 

Yes, I get why Bettman and the owners are against it, and why the IOC is, as always, dysfunctional. In the end, everyone in the world minus 31 governors, one commissioner, and however many people do the decision making with the IOC end up losing.
#Ride?

Sir Blue and Gold

I couldn't care less if NHL players are in the Olympics, but if they're not, do a real world cup every four years. Not the fake one that they ran into Toronto with the young guns and that. Real best on best with qualifying for the teams. In fact, that would end up being better than the Olympics anyway.

blue_gold_84

Both parties are to blame, IMO. This was about money and self-interest from both the IOC and the NHL. Greed on both sides essentially blew this opportunity to showcase the world's best arguably the biggest stage.

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on February 23, 2018, 02:11:25 PM
I couldn't care less if NHL players are in the Olympics, but if they're not, do a real world cup every four years. Not the fake one that they ran into Toronto with the young guns and that. Real best on best with qualifying for the teams. In fact, that would end up being better than the Olympics anyway.

I think that's more or less the plan. But I also think what was done in 2016 will be the norm going forward: making it as flashy and unique as possible. It's meant to make money, after all. And the 2016 WHC made its fair share.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Should have sent our Spengler cup team...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

https://olympics.cbc.ca//news/article/canadian-athlete-arrested-released-after-alleged-drunken-car-theft.html

A Canadian athlete has been arrested and released after allegedly stealing a car and driving drunk in South Korea.

Pyeongchang police allege the unnamed athlete had a blood alcohol level of .160 and was with his wife and manager at the time.

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_or_die

Saw the last 30 seconds because I forgot, but bronze. Yay
#Ride?

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

The Zipp

Well I guess there was no guarantee of gold if the NHLers has played so getting a medal is still something to be proud of in the context of the competition that was present.

The Zipp

Wow.  Just watching the replay of the gold medal hockey game - what a play by OAR to tie it up short handed with 55 seconds left.  Some lucky bounces but wow a pretty good game. 

BomberPride

Highest medal count ever for Winter Olympics.
What is more gentle than water, yet who can control the raging flood?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: BomberPride on February 26, 2018, 12:34:30 PM
Highest medal count ever for Winter Olympics.

A really great outing for Canada this year. To think 30 medals could've been cracked with either curling team getting on the podium is very, very impressive.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.