2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics thread

Started by The Zipp, January 11, 2018, 04:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Zipp

The 2018 Winter Olympics are less than a month away!! There is something special about cheering for our great country during this event.  Hockey will be a bit different without the NHL players but once it gets going I am sure it will still be exciting to watch.

The roster for the men's team was annonced this morning.

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada-unveils-men-s-2018-olympic-roster-1.965278

theaardvark

Can't we just merge this with the NHL other thread... oh wait.... nevermind ;)
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 11, 2018, 04:37:56 PM
They announced our hobo hockey team today. Hopefully Ben Scrivens gets hot!  :-[

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada-unveils-men-s-2018-olympic-roster-1.965278

I think it's fair to say Canada won't be the dominant powerhouse it was like in 2002, 2010, or 2014. Thanks, NHL. >:(

Nice to see a few pieces from the Spengler Cup championship team.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

drahgon

Yes, but most countries will have similar talent levels available as well. Exception being maybe Russia with guys like Datsyuk and Kovalchuk playing in the KHL.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on January 11, 2018, 05:17:19 PM
I think it's fair to say Canada won't be the dominant powerhouse it was like in 2002, 2010, or 2014. Thanks, NHL. >:(

Nice to see a few pieces from the Spengler Cup championship team.

Won't be dominate?!? Perhaps you missed this but Rob Klinkhammer will be on the team. ROB KLINKHAMMER!

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

blue_or_die

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 11, 2018, 07:27:29 PM
Won't be dominate?!? Perhaps you missed this but Rob Klinkhammer will be on the team. ROB KLINKHAMMER!

I've already got my Rob "The Hammer" Klinkhammer jersey on!

Winter Olympics is always tons of fun to watch, but I would be lying if I didn't admit I'm 40-50x less interested without the NHL players. I feel like I watched more of the rest of the Olympics when they were a part of it. Going to give it my all to get it up for Team Canada Men's hockey, but it might be a bit harder (lol).

I always enjoy Women's Olympic hockey, though. That will be great no matter what.
#Ride?

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: blue_or_die on January 11, 2018, 07:35:10 PM
I've already got my Rob "The Hammer" Klinkhammer jersey on!

Winter Olympics is always tons of fun to watch, but I would be lying if I didn't admit I'm 40-50x less interested without the NHL players. I feel like I watched more of the rest of the Olympics when they were a part of it. Going to give it my all to get it up for Team Canada Men's hockey, but it might be a bit harder (lol).

I always enjoy Women's Olympic hockey, though. That will be great no matter what.

:D :D :D

The Zipp

You guys are just too focused on Men?s Hockey ? even though they aren?t technically the best we have as a country the minute they are chosen to represent our Canada we should be cheering them on?it can be our own ?miracle on ice? (gotta think of something better than though)?besides hockey there are so many other great stories to follow ? we are fortunate to have some of the best TV coverage in the world available to us that getting immersed in all the action is so fun!

Love the Olympics ? especially the winter ones ? skiing, skating, bobsled. curling etc etc.

GO CANADA!!

blue_or_die

Quote from: The Zipp on January 11, 2018, 07:48:36 PM
You guys are just too focused on Men?s Hockey ? even though they aren?t technically the best we have as a country the minute they are chosen to represent our Canada we should be cheering them on?it can be our own ?miracle on ice? (gotta think of something better than though)?besides hockey there are so many other great stories to follow ? we are fortunate to have some of the best TV coverage in the world available to us that getting immersed in all the action is so fun!

Love the Olympics ? especially the winter ones ? skiing, skating, bobsled. curling etc etc.

GO CANADA!!

Yeah the other stuff is lots of fun, but NHL players playing for their country was a completely and totally different thing altogether. Like I said, I feel like following it made me follow the other events and get more hyped for the whole thing.

I'll be cheering for Canada and following a good amount of events, but you've gotta admit we've taken an enormous hit on the most important event to Canada.
#Ride?

Sir Blue and Gold

GO CANADA!!

Ya, the Olympics as a whole will still be good, I like watching a lot of the events. For me, men's hockey was absolutely the crown jewel of the games and winning felt important. I would have set my alarm at any time to watch every game. Now it's sort of a laugh, and that's fine, in Rob "The Hammer" Klinkhammer we trust, but I'll catch his highlights when I wake up. It's just different.

blue_or_die

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 12, 2018, 01:35:28 PM
Ya, the Olympics as a whole will still be good, I like watching a lot of the events. For me, men's hockey was absolutely the crown jewel of the games and winning felt important. I would have set my alarm at any time to watch every game. Now it's sort of a laugh, and that's fine, in Rob "The Hammer" Klinkhammer we trust, but I'll catch his highlights when I wake up. It's just different.

Disagree! Whatever time these games are on, it's HAMMER TIME!!!
#Ride?

TrueBlue75

GO CANADA!!

I agree! Winter Olympics are Canada's best showing. Moguls, snowboarding, bobsled, luge, figure skating, speed skating are all events that will likely bring medals for Canada- and maybe even gold! Can't wait! Work preparation is going to suffer a bit during that time...especially with the Jets still playing too.

The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB

If the two teams were to ever play each other I think the Moose could beat team Canada 7-2.
I assume most of the other teams at the olympics will have underwhelming rosters as well.
I think Jim Slater might be playing for the US 😮 well good for him if true!