Blue Bombers Forum
November 29, 2021, 10:49:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: [OLD] Blue Bombers roster - 2017-2018  (Read 291801 times)
GCn19

« Reply #840 on: July 25, 2018, 06:05:35 PM »

Long term veterans get protected in terms of the date their salaries are guaranteed, but it doesn't entitle them to a higher minimum salary.

Plesius was a high second rounder, so his entry level contract might have been somewhat higher than the minimum, and he may have gotten a raise when he was extended by Hamilton (who thought they were going to have him play a larger role). But once he was released by Montreal and sat on the shelf all the way through training camp and the first 5 games of the season, there is no telling what he signed for. He may very well be below $60k.

I doubt he was holding out a third of a season for a higher salary. If there is a candidate for close to minimum salary, it's an unemployed STer a third of the way into the season.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #841 on: July 25, 2018, 06:48:55 PM »

I doubt he was holding out a third of a season for a higher salary. If there is a candidate for close to minimum salary, it's an unemployed STer a third of the way into the season.

My point was that the minimum for players increases with seniority above the ELC for 1st years players.

It has nothing to do with whether he was sitting around and not playing waiting for a bigger deal.

So I would think he would get whatever is mandated for his time in the CFL and not some sort of bigger deal.

If that premise is incorrect I will stand corrected. I know that's the case in the NFL where min salaries go up and always thought that was the case as seasons added up.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:53:47 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
theaardvark

« Reply #842 on: July 25, 2018, 09:13:26 PM »

My point was that the minimum for players increases with seniority above the ELC for 1st years players.

It has nothing to do with whether he was sitting around and not playing waiting for a bigger deal.

So I would think he would get whatever is mandated for his time in the CFL and not some sort of bigger deal.

If that premise is incorrect I will stand corrected. I know that's the case in the NFL where min salaries go up and always thought that was the case as seasons added up.

Pretty sure that's not the case in the CFL.  ELC's have to be for 2 years, vets can sign for 1.  Other than that, there is no separate min for ELCs or vets... or for nats...  and while higher drafted players usually get paid more, its not because there is a rule.  You can pay a first overall a min salary as far as I can see...  he just probably won't sign with you.  Or something happens like Wilder last year... international player on his first deal, generally gets min wage unless he's Manzeil...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
the paw

« Reply #843 on: July 25, 2018, 09:38:54 PM »

I believe you are correct on the NFL, but that isn?t a feature of the CFL collective agreement.  The only tangible benefit to seniority is the provision that if they cut a vet after a certain date, he gets his full salary.  The more seniority you have, the earlier that date is. 

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #844 on: July 25, 2018, 10:01:50 PM »

Ok. Good to know. I stand corrected then.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #845 on: July 26, 2018, 03:32:54 PM »

Rosters for game 7:

Darrin Bauming   @DarrinBauming
#Bombers release practice roster quarterback Mitchell Gale. QB Alex Ross is nearing a return from the 6-Game Injured List.

Chandler Fenner will miss a third-straight game for the #Bombers due to injury.

Jeff Hamilton
#Bombers depth chart and roster ahead of tomorrow's game against the #Argos. Kenbrell Thompkins is in for Adarius Bowman and Chandler Fenner will miss a third straight game. #wfp

Ed Tait   @EdTaitWFC
The #Bombers depth chart for tomorrow features two changes: Plesius and Thompkins on, Bowman and K. Wilson off.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 09:26:26 PM by gobombersgo » Logged

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #846 on: July 26, 2018, 09:23:38 PM »

Blue Bombers Transactions - July 26, 2018

WINNIPEG, MB., July 26, 2018 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has released International quarterback Mitchell Gale from the practice roster.

Transactions July 26:

WPG ADD  INT Kenbrell THOMPKINS (WR)    Cincinnati  - from practice roster
WPG DEL  INT Timothy FLANDERS (RB)    Sam Houston State  - added to practice roster
WPG DEL  INT Kyrie WILSON (LB)    Fresno State  - added to practice roster
WPG EXT ON INJURED INT Chandler FENNER (DB)    Holy Cross - to Aug-09
WPG REM UNS  INT Mitchell GALE (QB)    Abilene Christian - released from practice roster

gbill2004

« Reply #847 on: July 26, 2018, 09:29:09 PM »

Wow Flanders on the practice roster!
Pigskin

« Reply #848 on: July 26, 2018, 09:46:32 PM »

I can't see Flanders getting on the field this year.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
rubanski

« Reply #849 on: July 26, 2018, 10:21:29 PM »

Watch out, TO needs an RB with the way their injuries are going!

Rookie or not, do we like Fogg at CB instead of Cooper?
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #850 on: July 26, 2018, 11:35:34 PM »

Wow Flanders on the practice roster!

Time to fish or cut bait already, hopefully they're paying him a decent salary, Flanders deserves a chance to play ball somewhere else.
Blue In BC

« Reply #851 on: July 27, 2018, 12:08:56 AM »

Time to fish or cut bait already, hopefully they're paying him a decent salary, Flanders deserves a chance to play ball somewhere else.

If they were willing to pay him a decent salary they would have moved him to the 1 game IR.  Ditto with Wilson.

This saves some SMS but how long will these players stick around if another team calls?

2019 Grey Cup Champions
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #852 on: July 27, 2018, 11:50:43 AM »

If they were willing to pay him a decent salary they would have moved him to the 1 game IR.  Ditto with Wilson.

This saves some SMS but how long will these players stick around if another team calls?

Depends on the player and how much they believe on this team... also depends what team is calling.

Spooner chose to stay last year.
booch

« Reply #853 on: July 27, 2018, 12:21:11 PM »

he could also be on the PR pulling in his game day money like he would if on the IR or the 46...a guy on the PR can make whatever a team wants to pay him, not just the minimum PR amount.

I wouldn't read too much into it, and highly doubt he would jump ship...but then again u never know eh?
gbill2004

« Reply #854 on: July 27, 2018, 12:47:15 PM »

he could also be on the PR pulling in his game day money like he would if on the IR or the 46...a guy on the PR can make whatever a team wants to pay him, not just the minimum PR amount.

I wouldn't read too much into it, and highly doubt he would jump ship...but then again u never know eh?
They way our roster is set up related to the ratio (the RB position is clearly a NAT position), there no way Flanders is playing anytime soon.  If another teams RB gets injured, and there is interest in Flanders, he'd be stupid not to take the opportunity. 
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: