Blue Bombers Forum
December 02, 2021, 08:46:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: [OLD] Blue Bombers roster - 2017-2018  (Read 292284 times)
NewBlue

« Reply #600 on: June 04, 2018, 05:02:22 PM »

Watch Edm pick him up for just a couple weeks.....
Blue In BC

« Reply #601 on: June 04, 2018, 05:30:31 PM »

Ya, it would have been real tough to get both Walker and Clarke on the AR.  I wonder if Seisay/Sayles would take a PR job?  I hope Cooper does.

Taking this with a grain of salt. While I give Walker credit for a good camp showing improvement since his rookie season, I don't know he's a lock to make the roster. Walker and Alexander were discussed at length prior to TC during the off season. There were more than a few posters suggesting immediate release of both players.

Not to say posters were right in their suggestions one way or the other.

There seem to be some rookies getting high praise but so did Carmichael going into 2017 season.

So still waiting to see how this shakes out.

Seisay retired last week. Might have been a paper shuffle while he's unable to practice. Don't know if he'll be back or what's going on with him.

Sayles or Cooper probably would be willing to take PR's but you never know. At the moment we can't rule out anything from outright release to making the AR.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 05:34:41 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin

« Reply #602 on: June 04, 2018, 07:15:42 PM »

Walker has a year under his belt. This help him understand how the CFL is played and what he had to work on in the winter. Walker looks bigger this year, and he always had great speed.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
RebusRankin

« Reply #603 on: June 04, 2018, 08:10:21 PM »

Sometimes DBs take time. In about 2000, Riders have Omar Morgan, Ladouphous McCalla and another DB starting as rookies. Lots of growing pains that year but it eventually payed off. Could be the same with Walker and Alexander.
Blue In BC

« Reply #604 on: June 04, 2018, 08:47:58 PM »

Walker has a year under his belt. This help him understand how the CFL is played and what he had to work on in the winter. Walker looks bigger this year, and he always had great speed.

So did Clarke who had a few more games than Walker and Alexander under his belt. Just putting things in perspective.

Walker might end up starting. Our improvements on the DL and LB's will help the defense overall. I was opposed to not giving him an opportunity to improve in TC 2018. So it's true he might turn out to be a very good DB.

Not all players are great season one.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:49:51 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #605 on: June 04, 2018, 10:03:19 PM »

it will be great to see Walker and Alexander progress this season (I hope)

many called for their heads, I call for patience

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Blue In BC

« Reply #606 on: June 04, 2018, 10:20:23 PM »

it will be great to see Walker and Alexander progress this season (I hope)

many called for their heads, I call for patience

Sure but nothing wrong with finding the next Aaron Grymes or Tommie Campbell either. All of Cooper, Sayles and Seisay have had moments as well. Fogg seems to have improved too.

Who is ahead of who is what the coaches will decide with Sunday's cuts. If Leggett is healthy either he or Fenner will be at strong side DB. Gaitor might have the other DB spot.

So where anyone fits is an interesting puzzle still being evaluated. If Alexander or Walker don't win a starting spot outright will either accept a PR?

Earlier I didn't think Fogg would even make the roster. Now he might be fighting to start. Things can change on a dime.

Those going to TC practices might give us a better idea of who's working on the 1st team defense at the moment.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:22:38 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #607 on: June 04, 2018, 10:21:48 PM »

Winnipeg Blue Bombers Transactions - June 2, 2018 
WINNIPEG, MB., June 2, 2018 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has transferred international receiver Charles Nelson to the retired list.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers Transactions - June 4, 2018
WINNIPEG, MB., June 4, 2018 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has released international defensive back Steven Clarke.

Darrin Bauming   @DarrinBauming
Spoke to #Bombers DB Steven Clarke yesterday. He was pleased with his INT and performance in Friday's preseason tilt. Clarke was released today. Likely a combo of his (probably) marginally-higher veteran pay, and the DB depth on display here all camp.

Mohammed Seisay returned to the field for the first time today. A long, 6'2" frame highlights his physical tools. The DB hopes to play vs B.C. this Friday. Mike O'Shea says it's been a very good camp for both the level of play and the depth amongst their defensive backs.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:28:55 PM by gobombersgo » Logged

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #608 on: June 05, 2018, 06:59:13 AM »

BOMBERS TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 16
Ed Tait

COMINGS/GOINGS:

The Bombers released veteran DB Steven Clarke on Monday, just a couple of days after he picked off a pass and had a pass knock-down in the pre-season win over Edmonton. Clarke appeared in 25 games over four seasons with the B.C. Lions, but his release speaks volumes of the remaining competition at defensive back in camp.

That crew includes imports Chris Randle, Brian Walker, Brandon Alexander, Anthony Gaitor, Tyneil Cooper, Chris Humes, Robert Priester, Marcus Sayles, Mohammed Seisay and Jordan Thomas - and either Chandler Fenner or Maurice Leggett, depending on who starts at the strong-side linebacker/dime spot. As well, the club has Canadians Taylor Loffler, Derek Jones, Kahlen Branning, Abu Conteh, Jacob Firlotte and Brendan Morgan in the defensive backfield.

Here's Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea on the decision to release Clarke:

"We wanted to give the other guys a bigger opportunity and when you have a veteran player in front of them and you've got the urge to play him for a half in the next game, you're really limiting the number of reps that you get to see these younger guys.

"There are some young guys in training camp that have made some pretty impressive plays that are getting healthy now that we really want to take a harder look at."

One of those young guys is Seisay, the 6-2, 203-pound product of Nebraska who has had stints with the Detroit Lions (2014) and Seattle Seahawks (2015-16) and just returned to practice this week after missing time with an injury.

"He's long. We like his athleticism," said O'Shea. "I'm glad he gets back on the field and gets a couple practices under his belt before this next game so that we can see what he can do."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/06/04/training-camp-june-4-recap/

Current list of DB's

Maurice Leggett      I    re-signed Feb 6 2018
Chris Randle           I    re-signed Jan 23 2018 
Kevin Fogg             I    re-signed Feb 12 2018
Brandon Alexander   I    signed April 17 2017 
Brian Walker           I    signed May 22 2017
Anthony Gaitor       I    signed Feb 1 2018 
Chandler Fenner      I    signed Feb 13 2018
Tyneil Cooper         I    signed Apr 19 2018   
Marcus Sayles        I    signed May 8 2018   
Chris Humes           I    signed May 15 2018   
Mohammed Seisay   I    signed May 16 2018
Jordan Thomas       I    signed May 20 2018
Robert Priester       I     signed May 22 2018   
Taylor Loffler         N    signed  May 23 2016   
Derek Jones           N    re-signed Nov 20 2017   
Kahlen Branning      N    signed  Nov 2 2017 
Abu Conteh           N    signed Dec 11 2017   
Brendan Morgan      N    signed Jan 24 2018   
Jacob Firlotte         N    signed May 10 2018   
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 07:11:04 AM by gobombersgo » Logged

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #609 on: June 08, 2018, 11:21:26 AM »

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #610 on: June 08, 2018, 11:23:02 AM »

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #611 on: June 08, 2018, 11:33:19 AM »

June 7 roster news:

Ed Tait   @EdTaitWFC
Mike O'Shea announces #Bombers QB Matt Nichols will be out 4-6 weeks

Mike O'Shea said Matt Nichols will be placed on 6-game injured list. Hope to have him back earlier.

Darrin Bauming  @DarrinBauming
Breaking: Matt Nichols will miss 4-6 weeks with a right knee injury, according to #Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea. The coach is confident it will not be longer than that timeline. Nichols will begin the season on the 6-Game IL, but can come off after four.

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #612 on: June 09, 2018, 11:31:56 PM »

WPG Blue Bombers   @Wpg_BlueBombers   6 minutes ago
The team has announced the following transactions.

dd

« Reply #613 on: June 10, 2018, 12:28:58 AM »

He was released
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #614 on: June 10, 2018, 02:39:51 AM »

He was released

While this is unfortunate, it speaks to our ability to find new faces that fit better in our system

This alone tells me that our depth on DB just got much better than last year.  Good luck in your career Walker and thanks for the time as a Bomber.

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: