Blue Bombers Forum
October 20, 2021, 02:59:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: [OLD] Blue Bombers roster - 2017-2018  (Read 280277 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #570 on: June 02, 2018, 10:25:41 PM »

Are you going to claw back some of Medlock's salary if he isn't punting? I say let Medlock do everything as rostering FMB would mean removing a receiver,7th olineman or linebacker type special teamer.

Lots of teams use two roster spots for kickers in exactly this way. I'm not expecting to roster a 7th OL on the 44 AR this year so we have a potential spot available. Could be used for an extra kicker or extra RB.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
RebusRankin

« Reply #571 on: June 03, 2018, 02:11:19 AM »

BiBC raises an interesting point about how we use our spots for 20 NIs on the roster. Let's assume Goossen, Chungh, Neufeld, Harris, Loffler, Demski and Wolitarsky as the 7 starters for now. Couture as the 6th OL. Rempel as our LS. Mike Miller as a ST ace. Derek Jones, Rashun Simonise, Daniel Peterman, Thomas Miles, Jesse Briggs, Jake Thomas, Faith Ekatkikie, LaFrance or Augustine and I've left two spots which could be interesting who takes them.
Blue In BC

« Reply #572 on: June 03, 2018, 02:50:37 AM »

BiBC raises an interesting point about how we use our spots for 20 NIs on the roster. Let's assume Goossen, Chungh, Neufeld, Harris, Loffler, Demski and Wolitarsky as the 7 starters for now. Couture as the 6th OL. Rempel as our LS. Mike Miller as a ST ace. Derek Jones, Rashun Simonise, Daniel Peterman, Thomas Miles, Jesse Briggs, Jake Thomas, Faith Ekatkikie, LaFrance or Augustine and I've left two spots which could be interesting who takes them.

I assume an import LB as a DI. Regardless of who it is ( let's say Wild ) that guy will be a big ST player. That's more than I would expect from a Gauthier or Renard for example. Miles is capable of playing LB in a back up role.

I've mentioned it before but Rush is listed as a FB but if either of LaFrance or Augustine can block ( which reports suggest they can ) then wouldn't the 2nd RB be a better option than Rush. Both can run, block, catch and be an offensive threat while backing up or rotating with Harris for different looks.

Hence my suggestion that both of those guys could be on the roster at the expense of Rush as the example. Our 6 OL could still be used occasionally when we go with a TE. Neufeld and Couture both did that last year.

All that would still leave one open spot for a Canadian. It's all a question of what's the best option. IMO it's the player that does the most things with the least amount of risk.

A 7th OL is not a horrible idea but chances are he sees the field seldom if at all. So in game you'd have to have 2 OL injured. It can happen but that's where Thomas getting some reps is the emergency guy.

A 4th Canadian receiver or DB that can play ST's could be used as another option. But the Canadian kicker might be a guy they want to give some time in regular season games being used when game conditions allow. That's not a choice we've had in the past.

It's nice to have some young up and coming Canadians with potential in our depth this year.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 01:31:37 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
NewBlue

« Reply #573 on: June 03, 2018, 01:41:31 PM »

He's talking about the 21 Nationals, Wild wouldn't be one of them  Wink

I don't know if we need 4 National WR, I'd have Petermann on PR if the other 3 are healthy, that opnes up a spot for Rush who is versatile (FB/LB/ST), and I'd make sure Felix MB is also one of the 21.
the paw

« Reply #574 on: June 03, 2018, 01:47:09 PM »

I don't know if we need 4 National WR, I'd have Petermann on PR if the other 3 are healthy, that opnes up a spot for Rush who is versatile (FB/LB/ST), and I'd make sure Felix MB is also one of the 21.

If they use a guy like Coney as a DI returner, he can also back up INT receivers.  If they don?t, then it is likely they dress two NTL receivers to back up all 5 positions.

I don?t see Felix making the AR, we are paying Medlock too much (and using a DI spot) for him not to be doing all 3 jobs.

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #575 on: June 03, 2018, 02:08:21 PM »

I know Wild is an import. The point is that we don't need 3 or 4 Canadian LB's to play ST's when all our imports excel at ST's.

I agree we may not decide to have 4 Canadian receivers but that's another choice.

Not trying to pick on Rush but I'm not sure what he's capable of after 2017. I'm not certain he had one game rep at FB and he has no ST's. He may have a different role on ST's but I'm not clear on what it is.

You say he's versatile but he has no DT's, ST's or touches offensively. He's transitioning from defense in university to offense. Others have done that and he may have good upside. I'm just not sure but at this point would have to rank near the bottom of our current Canadian roster.

We have to make some room for others drafted this season. Doesn't mean he can't make the roster or should be cut but we have some young talent and can't keep all of them.

He may have upside but does he really have a role on the 44 AR that can't be better filled. I'd probably choose the 4th Canadian receiver over Rush at the moment.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 02:23:39 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Blue In BC

« Reply #576 on: June 03, 2018, 02:16:49 PM »

If they use a guy like Coney as a DI returner, he can also back up INT receivers.  If they don?t, then it is likely they dress two NTL receivers to back up all 5 positions.

I don?t see Felix making the AR, we are paying Medlock too much (and using a DI spot) for him not to be doing all 3 jobs.

We're going to start 2 Canadian receivers so we need to have at least 3 on the 44 AR. At this point it's not certain we have room for an import receiver as a DI. I hope we are able to do that but we'll see.

I'm not too concerned about how much Medlock earns in regard to him giving up a partial role in transition.

Menard could be kept on the 1 game IR ( he might be lost if we PR him ). OTOH I'm not opposed to see him on the AR making a few game rep opportunities.

The 1st question is he a better directional punter than Medlock? Medlock has struggled with that in the past. Does he have better hang time? As I mentioned it's not unusual to have 2 kickers on the roster. Even when one is highly paid.

It's just another choice that may or may not make.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 02:19:50 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
NewBlue

« Reply #577 on: June 03, 2018, 02:49:24 PM »

So if there is a 44 man game roster, how do the 2 reserve players work?  Does this mean it's actually a 46 man roster, but 2 are scratched before game time?  That could be where Rush/FBM/Petermann etc get stached.
I would hope we have a DI WR, but it'd either be Langford/Coney, someone who could backup an Internatonal WR & return kicks.
Blue In BC

« Reply #578 on: June 03, 2018, 03:02:40 PM »

So if there is a 44 man game roster, how do the 2 reserve players work?  Does this mean it's actually a 46 man roster, but 2 are scratched before game time?  That could be where Rush/FBM/Petermann etc get stached.
I would hope we have a DI WR, but it'd either be Langford/Coney, someone who could backup an Internatonal WR & return kicks.

Yes it means a 46 man roster. The extra 2 men can be activated game day one hour before game time. The Bombers have tended to have 1 NI OL and 1 import OL. So that would mean Spooner and Foketi at the moment if we don't actually keep 7 OL on the 44 AR.

It can change game to game potentially. For example if one of the import receivers was nicked was a game day decision they might add a receiver to the 2 man reserve that could be activated game day if necessary. The OL would then be moved to the 1 game IR.

So the norm is to have a player there that might need to be activated game day.

OTOH I've never understood why they don't dress all 46 players. The fly in the ointment is the ratio context and how that would work.

We'll certainly see some players added to the 1 game IR. Players we want to retain and would be at risk of losing on the the PR. However that still has an SMS implication that has to be managed.

I wouldn't put Peterman on the PR for example. Some team would try and take him. At worst I'd 1 game IR him so he can still practice.  That said I fully expect he makes the 44 AR.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
RebusRankin

« Reply #579 on: June 03, 2018, 03:49:37 PM »

Rush may be listed as a fullback but he's on the roster strictly as a ST player. Which is fine, all teams have them. I suspect they go 4 NI receivers since two are starting just to have depth and to deal with injuries but I could be wrong. I do agree with BiBC that Peterman will not be on the PR but would be stashed on the 1 game injured list to prevent another team from stealing him away.
Krahnillogical

« Reply #580 on: June 03, 2018, 04:57:08 PM »

We're going to start 2 Canadian receivers so we need to have at least 3 on the 44 AR. At this point it's not certain we have room for an import receiver as a DI. I hope we are able to do that but we'll see.

I'm not too concerned about how much Medlock earns in regard to him giving up a partial role in transition.

Menard could be kept on the 1 game IR ( he might be lost if we PR him ). OTOH I'm not opposed to see him on the AR making a few game rep opportunities.

The 1st question is he a better directional punter than Medlock? Medlock has struggled with that in the past. Does he have better hang time? As I mentioned it's not unusual to have 2 kickers on the roster. Even when one is highly paid.

It's just another choice that may or may not make.
I think that's a risk they'll take. If they've told FMB that he's likely next kicker if he sticks around when Medlock retires, then even if other teams sniff around he's likely to stay. There are also a few other kickers with CFL experience hanging around out there not currently on a roster, which would also help. Think they have enough other talent they'd like to keep that FMB will be PR'ed.
Blue In BC

« Reply #581 on: June 03, 2018, 07:38:50 PM »

Rush may be listed as a fullback but he's on the roster strictly as a ST player. Which is fine, all teams have them. I suspect they go 4 NI receivers since two are starting just to have depth and to deal with injuries but I could be wrong. I do agree with BiBC that Peterman will not be on the PR but would be stashed on the 1 game injured list to prevent another team from stealing him away.

I think that's the case, however, it means we don't really have a FB per se. Not that we use one that often. So does that open the door for a 7th OL. Do we have a DL that might be a " William Perry " fridge guy on a few plays?

There are a bunch of options and different players that could be used. I suppose even Harris could be blocker on some plays while LaFrance lines up as a RB. All RB's block at times. Lining them up a little differently at times gives the defense more to think about.

Down and distance, field position and game situation are all factors that make up part of the game plan. It's a what do we do " if " this or that is the situation.

We'll have lots of weapons that's for sure. Exactly who make up the 46 AR will be interesting. A few potential starters are nicked so a couple of guys may start the season on the game IR as well.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 07:52:01 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
RebusRankin

« Reply #582 on: June 04, 2018, 01:33:58 AM »

The offensive weapons are exciting for sure. Bowman and Adams looked like they can be a lethal duo on Friday and then you add in Harris, Dressler, Demski et all and man totally excited.
NewBlue

« Reply #583 on: June 04, 2018, 11:17:39 AM »

Can anyone tell me the last time we had a player plucked from our PR, or even if it's commonplace on other teams?  I've been under the impression it was an unwritten rule you don't take a player from another teams PR. Sports are so competitive now though, so....

Is this mostly just a worry for fans? 

Another question is if a prospect goes back to college, do we retain their rights?  So that they are not listed on any PR, and can't be stolen by another team?
theaardvark

« Reply #584 on: June 04, 2018, 11:29:58 AM »

Can anyone tell me the last time we had a player plucked from our PR, or even if it's commonplace on other teams?  I've been under the impression it was an unwritten rule you don't take a player from another teams PR. Sports are so competitive now though, so....

Is this mostly just a worry for fans? 

Another question is if a prospect goes back to college, do we retain their rights?  So that they are not listed on any PR, and can't be stolen by another team?

It was reported that BC tried to poach Spooner last year, but if I recall correctly, he turned down their contract offer to stay on our PR...  it is the players option to take a contract offer, they do not have to.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: