Blue Bombers Forum
October 25, 2021, 02:55:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: [OLD] Blue Bombers roster - 2017-2018  (Read 281998 times)
booch

« Reply #525 on: May 31, 2018, 12:09:24 PM »

I think a lot of it too was he had too much ego....I am not gonnas say pride....to come out out look horrendous and have 2 rookies outperform him
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #526 on: May 31, 2018, 01:18:38 PM »

I mean, most teams if they had to rely on their QB backup for a period of time are going to be just hoping for a wish and a prayer.  Fortunately, you only need to not get last place in the east to move on to the playoffs; or not get second last place in the west.  So I'd say as long as we only have injuries during the season and not during playoff time we should be okay

Yes -- but due to circumstances perhaps beyond our control to some degree, our situation is more tenuous than others. All of our backups are complete unknowns. None of them were even in our system last year. Two of them weren't even in the CFL. Probably the reason Bennett was brought in is that he at least has some experience in what we are trying to do. There's a very real ramp-up time for young QBs to even have a chance to be effective. I agree that it's common for backups not to have a lot of real regular season CFL reps. But our 'number two' guy on paper has only been with us since April 19 and has only one CFL year under his belt. If we knew Durant was going to retire, I doubt we'd have moved on from Davis this year. We all want to develop a QB but realistically if we lose Nichols, throwing in a nonprepared Streveler or Mahoney isn't a real option. That leaves Ross and possibly Bennett (who isn't even practicing still). That's asking for a miracle of epic proportions. If you're going to go young and inexperienced at backup QB, which we are now forced to do, you want to have a guy that has at least been in your system for a couple years. We don't even have that. The situation is really bad and we shouldn't think otherwise.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:20:28 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
Tehedra

« Reply #527 on: May 31, 2018, 01:57:36 PM »

This is true, but it doesn't change the fact that most teams will lose with their backup. Meaning we may lose by a greater margin but at the end of the day, a team is seldom going to win it all with their backup so the affect on the end result is fairly moot.
booch

« Reply #528 on: May 31, 2018, 02:16:59 PM »

I think with how our offence is constructed and the in game strategies, if a back-up has to come in, he doesn't have to be a world beater and just manage the game-plan and take whats there...let the system and the play makers do the rest.

From watching the QB's this mini camp and TC i actually think Ross throws the best ball...and actually seems to have nice pocket presence and can actually progress through reads...something Davis seemed to struggle with. So with his last years experience and not seeing defensive looks for the first time, if he can basically utilize his first couple reads/options I think he will do fine in the short term if pressed into duty...call me not too concerned with our depth
Blue In BC

« Reply #529 on: May 31, 2018, 08:26:56 PM »

WR Nelson retires. Here we go again. Is this the result of players deciding they are way down the depth chart after seeing competition in the CFL. Is it deciding an injury has put them behind the 8 ball?

He was a late add but he sure didn't last long.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #530 on: May 31, 2018, 08:54:24 PM »

WR Nelson retires. Here we go again. Is this the result of players deciding they are way down the depth chart after seeing competition in the CFL. Is it deciding an injury has put them behind the 8 ball?

He was a late add but he sure didn't last long.
Happens every year. A bit of a waste.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #531 on: May 31, 2018, 09:23:22 PM »

May 31 WPG TRF TO  RETIRED INT Charles NELSON (WR)    Oregon

https://www.cfl.ca/transactions/

Krahnillogical

« Reply #532 on: June 01, 2018, 04:57:51 AM »

Why is it so hard to find a depth chart for this team? Even the Depth Chart section on the website still shows 2017 sched and the depth chart links don't seem to work.
Jesse

« Reply #533 on: June 01, 2018, 10:27:12 AM »

Why is it so hard to find a depth chart for this team? Even the Depth Chart section on the website still shows 2017 sched and the depth chart links don't seem to work.

Because the season hasn?t started and there isn?t one yet.

My wife is amazing!
NewBlue

« Reply #534 on: June 01, 2018, 11:15:43 AM »

I think Streveler is in a perfect spot to develop...He isn't/doesn't need to be pressed into 2nd string duty before he is ready as I am more than comfortable with Ross there for an in game option, or possibly a start...and Streveler can run the 3rd down gamle stuff and learn as he goes and push for 2nd string next year, then in yr 3 maybe push Nichols for number 1

I agree with this.  Ross is a little more experienced, give him plenty of snaps and let's see if he is ready to be a legit #2.  As is the case with many BB fans for years, I'm also high on the #3 prospect guy (Strev).  He doesn't need to start yet, hopefully he's content being an understudy for now. Bennett I think was brought in knowing he's injured and wouldn't take time away from Ross right away, more of an insurance plan.  If Ross can't show himself I think Bennett takes his spot.
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #535 on: June 01, 2018, 12:43:21 PM »

Ed Tait   @EdTaitWFC   23 hours ago
The #Bombers positional roster for tomorrow's preseason game vs Edmonton at IGF

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #536 on: June 01, 2018, 12:48:29 PM »

Darrin Bauming   @DarrinBauming   23 hours ago
Here is who the #Bombers expect to dress on Friday vs the #Esks, and then my look at their depth chart for the entire roster.

Notables not expected to dress Friday... Flanders, LaFrance, Wild, Hardrick, Leggett, Alexander, Gaitor, and notable rookies; DT Brandin Bryant, DBs Marcus Sayles and Mohammed Seisay, RECs Tyrone Pierre and Charles Nelson.

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #537 on: June 01, 2018, 12:51:11 PM »

Darrin Bauming   @DarrinBauming   22 hours ago
Edmonton is bringing their backups to town. Notable absences include; MOP Mike Reilly, Kevin Glenn, CJ Gable, Derel Walker, Duke Williams, Vidal Hazelton Aaron Grymes, JC Sherrit, Almondo Sewell, Kwaku Boateng - not expected to dress. #Bombers

At least we?ll get a look at rush end Alex Bazzie, now back from the NFL.

Blue In BC

« Reply #538 on: June 01, 2018, 02:45:55 PM »

It's beginning to look like Leggett won't be ready to start the season. Have to see if he is involved in practice next week.  So Fenner probably starting the season at SAM.

I'm wondering what the domino affect then becomes in the secondary. Gaitor is probably leading candidate at strong side DB until Leggett can play. Then one of Leggett or Fenner moves to that spot?

So who wins the weak side CB and DB spots in the short term? A couple of injuries for this week have shifted who were going to have playing this week?

With all the new DB's I have no idea who the real leading candidates were going into tonight. Time for players to show whatever they've shown in TC on game day.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Blue In BC

« Reply #539 on: June 01, 2018, 02:53:21 PM »

Cooper is listed as a returner and has had a good camp in the secondary. Will be listening to see who the primary returners seem to be.

Looking forward to the new receivers to see who shines tonight.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: