Blue Bombers Forum
October 20, 2021, 02:30:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: [OLD] Blue Bombers roster - 2017-2018  (Read 280243 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #435 on: May 15, 2018, 04:01:37 PM »

Whose to say who will bid what? I would think we will big something, whether we are outbid remains to be seen. I would imagine no one expects to have the number one pick next year and will all bid assuming that it will be a late first rounder they are giving up. If that is the case then Montreal, IF they want him, will win the bidding. We won't know until we place our bid.

Technically, we won't know until after Montreal has had the opportunity to bid, and either does or does not. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn19

« Reply #436 on: May 15, 2018, 04:11:20 PM »

Technically, we won't know until after Montreal has had the opportunity to bid, and either does or does not. 

The bids are sealed, handed in and then opened. You must place your top bid first or risk losing out.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 04:13:18 PM by GCn17 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
TBURGESS

« Reply #437 on: May 15, 2018, 05:08:59 PM »

The bids are sealed, handed in and then opened. You must place your top bid first or risk losing out.
Where did you get the sealed bid process from? I thought it was a conference call with all the bidders.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #438 on: May 15, 2018, 05:14:21 PM »

and how would you know who wins if you are bidding future draft picks as draft order won't be decided until the end of the season, correct?

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
theaardvark

« Reply #439 on: May 15, 2018, 05:21:35 PM »

I always thought it was a team by team bid, like bridge or spades, where each team gets to beat the previous team's bid... so if no one bids, the last team can bid an 8th rounder... IIRC, when we picked Pohblah, we had to over bid someone else...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
the paw

« Reply #440 on: May 15, 2018, 05:40:40 PM »

and how would you know who wins if you are bidding future draft picks as draft order won't be decided until the end of the season, correct?

I think they bid in reverse order of last season's finish.  Where the actual draft pick being bid ends up being is not part of the calculus.  So, if the team finishing last place and the team finishing 4 th place both bid a second rounder, the former wins the player. 

I have no source, but I do believe the process is sequential and happens on conference call of some kind.  Whether all the teams can hear what the prior team bid or not, I don't know.

grab grass 'n growl
theaardvark

« Reply #441 on: May 15, 2018, 05:47:56 PM »

https://www.cfl.ca/2015/05/19/prospects-up-for-grabs-in-cfl-supplemental-draft/

The guidelines for the supplemental draft are as follows:

Clubs who wish to participate in the Supplemental Draft will be contacted on an individual basis and will be asked to submit their draft selections by order of waiver priority (each Club will be advised of the preceding Club?s bid). For example, Calgary will start the draft with the chance to offer a seventh round pick in the 2016 CFL Draft and move upwards through waiver priority.

The team willing to forfeit the highest original pick in the 2016 draft will get the player, while the process will repeat for the second player in the draft.

theaardvark

« Reply #442 on: May 15, 2018, 05:52:35 PM »

This is also important when there are multiple players in the "auction", as you can only bid picks you still have.  So, any you've committed to the first player wouldn't be available for the second if it was a sealed bid system...  so the whole sealed bid system doesn't make any sense...

GCn19

« Reply #443 on: May 15, 2018, 05:52:35 PM »

https://www.cfl.ca/2015/05/19/prospects-up-for-grabs-in-cfl-supplemental-draft/

The guidelines for the supplemental draft are as follows:

Clubs who wish to participate in the Supplemental Draft will be contacted on an individual basis and will be asked to submit their draft selections by order of waiver priority (each Club will be advised of the preceding Club?s bid). For example, Calgary will start the draft with the chance to offer a seventh round pick in the 2016 CFL Draft and move upwards through waiver priority.

The team willing to forfeit the highest original pick in the 2016 draft will get the player, while the process will repeat for the second player in the draft.

Ok...there you have it...I guess I was mistaken.

GCn19

« Reply #444 on: May 15, 2018, 05:53:30 PM »

This is also important when there are multiple players in the "auction", as you can only bid picks you still have.  So, any you've committed to the first player wouldn't be available for the second if it was a sealed bid system...  so the whole sealed bid system doesn't make any sense...

Each player is done individually in order of their eligibility Aards. It used to be done on sealed bids...that I know for sure. The current way is far more practical though.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 05:56:45 PM by GCn17 » Logged

theaardvark

« Reply #445 on: May 15, 2018, 05:56:01 PM »

Yes.  But you couldn't if it were "sealed bid"...

I remember the other question was who chooses which players come up first.  That makes a difference because you might want to hold back a higher pick for a player yet to come... or other situations where another team is most certainly saving a pick for a later player, allowing you to underbid knowing they can't use that pick...  so draft order can be a strategic thing as well...

GCn19

« Reply #446 on: May 15, 2018, 05:57:33 PM »

Yes.  But you couldn't if it were "sealed bid"...

I remember the other question was who chooses which players come up first.  That makes a difference because you might want to hold back a higher pick for a player yet to come... or other situations where another team is most certainly saving a pick for a later player, allowing you to underbid knowing they can't use that pick...  so draft order can be a strategic thing as well...

You are taking the words sealed bid far too literally. It just means that you are not informed about what other teams have bid....and it is how it used to be done. I remember some gnashing of teeth by other GMs because a player went cheaper than they thought and if they had known they would have bid higher. Probably why they changed it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 05:59:53 PM by GCn17 » Logged

Tehedra

« Reply #447 on: May 15, 2018, 06:12:12 PM »

You are taking the words sealed bid far too literally. It just means that you are not informed about what other teams have bid....and it is how it used to be done. I remember some gnashing of teeth by other GMs because a player went cheaper than they thought and if they had known they would have bid higher. Probably why they changed it.

This, I remember in past years it was definitely a "sealed" bid in that you did not know what other GMs had bid.
GCn19

« Reply #448 on: May 15, 2018, 06:30:45 PM »

This, I remember in past years it was definitely a "sealed" bid in that you did not know what other GMs had bid.

For sure that's how it used to be done...I'm glad they changed it. You used to have to give your best bid upfront and hope you were the best one. Most of the time the winning bid overpaid. I remember when we got Waggoner, some people had suggested we overpaid and Walters stated he didn't want to risk not getting him. It came out after a few days that there indeed was another team that had bid their first rounder and everyone celebrated how shrewd a move it was for Walters to make sure he got him.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 06:34:48 PM by GCn17 » Logged

66 Chevelle

« Reply #449 on: May 15, 2018, 07:08:53 PM »

but, if you don't win a player you don't lose the draft pick, you just can't use that same pick to bid on the next player, right... say the first guy comes up and I bid my 4th round pick, and lose... I keep my 4th round pick to use in the draft but I can't bid my 4th round pick again for guy #2, correct?

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: