Blue Bombers Forum
December 05, 2021, 07:53:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: [OLD] Blue Bombers roster - 2017-2018  (Read 293613 times)
GCn19

« Reply #330 on: February 28, 2018, 12:19:35 PM »

Thanks for the summary.

IMO, we haven't done much. The defence is a joke.
Leggett and Wild are not really linebackers.
We have no MLB Knox- is an outside LB
We lost an All Star DB and an All star DE. And have replaced,them with journeymen albeit potentially solid players.

We have snubbed glue guys like Denmark and Thomas.  Thomas especially is shocking.  He is 3x the player the un-ripe Ekatitie is.

Gushing over Demski is a fantasy. He has done zero as a difference maker. He in reality has been a back up. Who,is the other guy??!oh yeah LeFramce.......if this guy gets a thousand yards as a Career Bomber, I would be surprised.  I am happy we are supporting the Bisons though, in signing their alumni.

These are all good signings, as depth guys.  But Walters, come on man, zero of these. Guys are game breakers.

The signings are all good, but hardly going to make all other teams. Quake in their boots.
Can Roh be another Westermann? Hope so.  Can Ekatite start? (Guffaw) Furthermore snubbing Denmark and Thomas are mystifying.....foot soldiers who do the heavy lifting, and do the job,in spite of media hostility( Denmark) and disrespect (Thomas).

Not impressed.

Complete over exaggeration, at the very least, on all of the bolded. How on god's green earth can you say that Leggett and Wild are not LBers. Huh

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
kkc60

« Reply #331 on: February 28, 2018, 12:46:58 PM »

Thanks for the summary.

We lost an All Star DB and an All star DE. And have replaced,them with journeymen albeit potentially solid players.

We have snubbed glue guys like Denmark and Thomas.  Thomas especially is shocking.  He is 3x the player the un-ripe Ekatitie is.

Gushing over Demski is a fantasy. He has done zero as a difference maker. He in reality has been a back up. Who,is the other guy??!oh yeah LeFramce.......if this guy gets a thousand yards as a Career Bomber, I would be surprised.  I am happy we are supporting the Bisons though, in signing their alumni.

These are all good signings, as depth guys.  But Walters, come on man, zero of these. Guys are game breakers.
Furthermore snubbing Denmark and Thomas are mystifying.....foot soldiers who do the heavy lifting, and do the job,in spite of media hostility( Denmark) and disrespect (Thomas).

The signings are all good, but hardly going to make all other teams. Quake in their boots.
Can Roh be another Westermann? Hope so.  Can Ekatite start? (Guffaw)

Not impressed.
Fenner and Roh are journeymen? Denmark did nothing down the stretch, I don't know why you have an issue with him not returning. I hate that we haven't signed an experienced LB, even if it was a guy who maybe only played a half season or was a backup more often. Just someone who has played in the CFL. But that being said, Walters did a good chunk of work this offseason compared to some other teams.
rubanski

« Reply #332 on: February 28, 2018, 01:45:18 PM »

Thanks for the summary.

Furthermore snubbing Denmark and Thomas are mystifying.....foot soldiers who do the heavy lifting, and do the job,in spite of media hostility( Denmark) and disrespect (Thomas).

Not impressed.

Some fair points, and some unfair ones.

SAM lbs are basically DBs in the CFL. Fenner/Leggett will be as good as Heath/Leggett on the field side. Gaitor is a pick up over Walker or Alexander. Secondary better, no question.

Wild I agree, but Knox definitely has the skill set to play MLB in the CFL.

Westerman got paid 25% more than anyone else was offering in MTL. Your comments need to be grounded in reality. Would you have preferred we paid an extra $50k to him?  I would not.

Thomas is still available... there's hope!

How in the name of all that is holy can you complain about "difference makers" on the team, and in the same breath - question why Denmark isn't back? We won't rag on the guy or debate the kind of player he is - we can surely all agree he is not a difference maker anymore.

Walters has hired ex-Bisons to be the footsoldiers instead of Denmark. People will be less apt to complain about mediocre local national talent, than complain about Denmark's seemingly mediocre contributions to the team.
booch

« Reply #333 on: February 28, 2018, 03:39:52 PM »

With Leggett and Fenner we have the 2 best SAM's in the league....Westerman's production will more than be replaced by our current ends and Thomas won't be missed in the least.

Heath is good...not a be all end all HB like lots here claim and for all his picks...he also messed up a lot and was victimized and at times his rogue play caused breakdowns elsewhere on the defense...I bet this year we will see significantly less explosion plays and actually have more physicality. There is a reason why the Bombers did go super aggressive to retain him
3rdand1.5

« Reply #334 on: February 28, 2018, 03:56:13 PM »

As mentioned I would say the loss of Heath and addition of Fenner/Gaitor makes our secondary at least as good potentially slightly improved.

As to Denmark if we run into injury concerns he will probably still be available and excells in that role, but Bowman gives us an improvement. Demski is a wild card....potential in spades...but is just empty potential?

Thomas may still be back? We don't know...Ekakitie hopefully improved this offseason I agree that what we saw he is no where near Thomas' contribution.

As to your LB concerns...I get it and mostly agree...Wild just can't seem to stay out of the tub, JSK showed promise but is he a MLB? Not a  proven one that's for sure. I disagree with any slander against Leggett, as an OLB he is arguably the best at his position league wide... and the other guy who comes into the conversation as the best will be playing behind him...or rotating with him.

Loosing Westerman does suck....no one can sugar coat that...But $50k is a-lot of $$ IMO Mtrl. over paid...Not that I don't think he is good as he is a ratio buster and a great player but IMO the price was just too high...that happens sometimes and in this case we lost him to a team more desperate, and because of what they paid they have to sacrifice somewhere else. so its not an all in win for Mtrl either!

Biggest concern is LB corpse again.....Although you (DM83) seem a little to tough on the team/Walters..I do share your concerns to a degree
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #335 on: March 07, 2018, 11:26:29 PM »

How the Bombers can create cap space for Henoc Muamba
March 6th - Justin Dunk

Canadian linebacker Henoc Muamba is "trying to make" re-joining the Winnipeg Blue Bombers "happen", the city where he started his CFL career.

The Bombers have wined and dined Muamba, so now it's time to get down to business. Given his hefty price tag - he will command in the neighbourhood of $200,000 - how will the Bombers be able to afford him?

Muamba's old contract with the Riders would have seen him make $220,000 (if he played in 15 games) and while his new deal may not quite reach that lofty number, $200,000 seems too be the starting rate for an elite, ratio-breaking Canadian. Argos' tackle Chris Van Zeyl, Alouettes' defensive lineman Jamaal Westerman, Redblacks' receiver Brad Sinopoli, Ticats' defensive tackle Ted Laurent, and Bombers' running back Andrew Harris are all within that (upper class) national neighbourhood. Muamba belongs in that group, but Winnipeg has to make sure he fits within their salary cap.

There is one easy way to create some room: release defensive end Tristan Okpalaugo. The 28-year-old signed a two-year contract with the Bombers last February. He played in 12 games making 34 tackles and six sacks while intercepting a pass for a touchdown. Okpalaugo made approximately $168,000 in 2017 and 2018 sees his contract bump $10,000 to $178,000. For comparison, that's over $30,000 more than the CFL?s reigning sack leader Charleston Hughes is due to make with the Riders.

Jackson Jeffcoat, who produced 36 tackles and seven sacks plus a forced fumble and interception, remains on a cheap rookie CFL deal. Free agent Craig Roh signed for two seasons, four days after the market opened when prices for players dropped and he has 20 sacks in 45 career games. Jeffcoat and Roh are both younger, played more games in 2017, and can rush the passer just as well if not better than Okpalaugo. Granted Okpalaugo is the only player on the Bombers roster with double-digit sack seasons on his resume.

All three are starting-calibre ends in the CFL, but money plays a factor and the least amount of value for the dollars out of the trio is obvious. Canadian Trent Corney is a rising talent and he's served as the rotational end since being drafted ninth overall in 2016. He?s a great depth piece, who has intriguing potential as a starter and rounds out the defensive end position nicely if Okpalaugo is there or not.

Without having access to the Bombers' exact salary cap numbers and tools to move numbers around, it would seem possible to take Okpalaugo's money out and tinker elsewhere on the roster to find the $200,000 that could bring Muamba back to Winnipeg.

http://3downnation.com/2018/03/06/how-the-bombers-can-create-cap-space-for-henoc-muamba/

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #336 on: March 07, 2018, 11:45:56 PM »

What the top CFL free agents got paid
March 7th - Justin Dunk

"You always overpay in free agency."

That's what one CFL player personnel man said about players hitting the open market and a look at the numbers indicates that was largely true in 2018 as well.

There was a lot of Canadian-coloured money thrown around for teams to land coveted football assets. The biggest dollars went to a national - Jamaal Westerman - which should serve as a reminder how valuable the ratio-breakers and starting Canucks are in the CFL.

If new Montreal Alouette defensive lineman Westerman plays six games in 2018 he'll make $218,000 plus performance bonuses on his two-year contract. Westerman made around $165,000 in 2017 and Winnipeg offered the national pass rusher a raise of approximately $190,000 to stay with the Bombers but he elected to test the market and the gamble paid off, literally. Montreal general manager Kavis Reed reportedly flew to New Jersey to woo the Als prized free agent who has made 32 sacks in 47 career CFL games.

Just before the ball was snapped on free agency, defensive tackle Ted Laurent re-signed in Hamilton. Even though he took a pay cut from his 2017 salary, Laurent will make over $200,000 in 2018 and 2019 on his two-year pact. The 30-year-old has been a disruptive force on the Ticats' defensive front for four years and over his career, Laurent has 150 tackles and 35 sacks in 110 games.

Elite linebacker Solomon Elimimian signed an extension in B.C. after the market opened that is worth over $200,000 in 2018 and 2019. The 2014 CFL MOP produced a league record 144 tackles in 2017, beating his own mark by one. Elimimian is well worth the money.

The Riders brought Zach Evans for a hefty $170,000 price tag. There were talent evaluators who felt Evans was among the best Canadian defensive lineman in the league and it's clear Saskatchewan had a similar rating. At 27 years old, Evans is in his prime which means the Riders should get quality production from the Regina native.

Hamilton secured their quarterback of the defence on the morning of Feb. 13 when free agency was just hours away. Larry Dean put his name on a one-year contract worth $160,000. Since becoming the man in the middle of the Ticats 'D', Dean has produced 174 tackles, five sacks, five forced fumbles and one interception in 36 games  - 94 stops earned the 29 - year-old an East all-star nod in 2017.

After a big bounce-back season Euclid Cummings cashed in. He had a down year making 16 tackles and three sacks for Winnipeg in 2016, but recorded 21 tackles, eight sacks and forced three fumbles in 2017. That made the Lions ante up $160,000 for Cummings, a consistent pocket pusher from the inside who stays stout against the run.

Pass rusher Alex Bazzie came back from an impressive training camp and pre-season with the Arizona Cardinals to play six games for B.C. in 2017 making 12 tackles and three sacks. In 56 career CFL games, Bazzie has 32 sacks, proven ability to get the quarterback to the ground Edmonton paid under $160,000 for 2018 with an increase for 2019.

Nic Demski was coveted based on his pure athleticism and rare abilities as a combo receiver and returner. Winnipeg paid a $35,000 signing bonus and nearly $150,000 on the one-year deal Demski signed. Watching Demski used in game plans put together by Bombers offensive coordinator Paul LaPolice is going to be fun for all.

Kickers who can perform all three duties - kick-offs, punting and field goals - are hard to find, Canadian ones even tougher. That?s why Hamilton paid $145,000 on a one-year deal for Lirim Hajrullahu. He went 47-of-58 on field goals (81 per cent) with 44-yard punting average in 2017.

Noel Thorpe wants big, physical defensive ends for his defensive scheme and A.C. Leonard was an ideal fit. After transitioning from offence (receiver/tight end) the 26-year-old had 67 tackles and 10 sacks in two seasons under Chris Jones. He earned a $50,000 signing bonus and $145,000 for the quick and productive transition made to defence.

Montreal upgraded the secondary in two major ways: signing Tommie Campbell and Mitchell White. The Alouettes could pay over $150,000 to the former Stampeder while White will earn almost $140,000 (with an increase in 2019.) Campbell and White should form a formidable duo of cover men for Montreal and rookie defensive coordinator Kahlil Carter.

Winnipeg did their window shopping and really wanted the shiny item in the display case: Chandler Fenner. The Bombers locked down a versatile defender for two years at around $130,000 per season. He can play strong-side linebacker and various positions in the secondary while being a demon on special teams.

Adam Konar displayed his ratio-breaking ability during 12 games in 2017 when he made 59 tackles, two interceptions, one sack and forced one fumble. That earned the University of Calgary product a raise on his two-year deal, worth in the neighbourhood of $130,000 for 2018 and $160,000 the following campaign. Just 24, Konar is a young, dynamic Canadian talent.

Sam Hurl's arrival in Saskatchewan meant Henoc Muamba was on the way out for one reason: salary cap. The former Bombers starting middle linebacker will make around $110,000 in 2018. If healthy Muamba could've made $220,000. Hurl, the 27-year-old who started all 18 games for Winnipeg in 2017 making 65 tackles, is a much cheaper option. That savings allowed the Riders to boost the ratio flexibility.

Enter Jerome Messam. The extra cap dollars opened up in the Hurl for Muamba swap made it possible for Saskatchewan to bring a starting-calibre Canadian running back to Regina for around $95,000 plus another over $15,000 in possible playtime incentives. The 32-year-old is coming off back-to-back 1,000-yard rushing season in Calgary and appears to have some gas left in the Brampton Bus.

http://3downnation.com/2018/03/07/what-top-cfl-free-agents-got-paid/

PloenFan

« Reply #337 on: March 09, 2018, 12:36:44 AM »

Thomas may still be back? We don't know...Ekakitie hopefully improved this offseason I agree that what we saw he is no where near Thomas' contribution.

As to your LB concerns...I get it and mostly agree...Wild just can't seem to stay out of the tub, JSK showed promise but is he a MLB? Not a  proven one that's for sure. I disagree with any slander against Leggett, as an OLB he is arguably the best at his position league wide... and the other guy who comes into the conversation as the best will be playing behind him...or rotating with him.

Loosing Westerman does suck....no one can sugar coat that...But $50k is a-lot of $$ IMO Mtrl. over paid...Not that I don't think he is good as he is a ratio buster and a great player but IMO the price was just too high...that happens sometimes and in this case we lost him to a team more desperate, and because of what they paid they have to sacrifice somewhere else. so its not an all in win for Mtrl either!
In a perfect world:
- Okpalaugo gets 11 or 12 sacks like he did in Toronto.
- Corney get 8 or 10 sacks
- Thomas returns and gets 8 sacks (double his total from last season)
- We sign Muamba at MLB, and don't have to release a key player to stay under the salary cap
- DB's Alexander and Walker develop into all-stars Cheesy
- The new DB's help us keep forcing turnovers, cut down the "explosion plays", and cut down our points and yardage allowed.

I guess I can dream, eh !  Grin
PloenFan

« Reply #338 on: March 09, 2018, 12:38:39 AM »

Almost forgot:
- the motivated Ekakite gets 4 sacks  Cheesy
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #339 on: March 09, 2018, 01:53:40 AM »

Thanks for the summary.

Not impressed.

Here we go again with the children's story of chicken little and the sky is falling (early too). 

Please don't use the term joke for our defense.  Way to early to judge them and please have more respect for this ball club. 

I do agree on Thomas to an extent.  He was worth keeping.

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
dd

« Reply #340 on: March 09, 2018, 02:11:14 AM »

Thanks for the summary.

Not impressed.
The only thing that's a joke is your post!! Over react much!!

Haven't done nothing in the offseason, what planet are you on?? We signed Darian Durante as our BACKUP Qb, a massive improvement over the previous chumps we had. Yep, Adarius Bowman s a joke too, but I ll enjoy watching him get his 1000 yd season just the same!! We upgraded our NAT depth at receiver with Demski and Lafrance gives us solid depth at NAT RB and helps with the ratio management

We lost Heath , big deal, the guy picked cherries/poorly thrown passes in some defense but couldn't cover a bet in man coverage. I ll take the fella from BC any day

We lost westerman, big deal, we got Roh and I ll take him anyday and westerman can count his money and
Rack up all the 15 yard UR penalties he wants, so long, see ya.

We haven't got a MLB,  but that s coming, HM will be here

Regarding Thomas, he s still available so we haven't really lost him, if he wants to win some football games, he can sign back on with us
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 02:13:47 AM by dd » Logged
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #341 on: March 09, 2018, 03:02:26 AM »

Here we go again with the children's story of chicken little and the sky is falling (early too). 

Please don't use the term joke for our defense.  Way to early to judge them and please have more respect for this ball club. 

I do agree on Thomas to an extent.  He was worth keeping.

Bringing back Thomas may be plan B if Muamba signs elsewhere, still need another Natl. on the D. IMO.
GCn19

« Reply #342 on: March 09, 2018, 04:37:19 AM »

Bringing back Thomas may be plan B if Muamba signs elsewhere, still need another Natl. on the D. IMO.

I highly doubt it will be Thomas. We had months to re-sign him and chose not to do so. Long before Muamba was even on our radar.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
booch

« Reply #343 on: March 09, 2018, 01:31:18 PM »

if Thomas is Plan B for the loss of Westerman and not being able to land Muamba in his place for ratio/salary...then we are in a world of trouble...We are better off using Corney in Thomas role in the middle...He is bigger ..faster..stronger and more athletic

Thomas may have a few "pounds" on him but it is doughie pounds
Horseman

« Reply #344 on: March 09, 2018, 01:51:45 PM »

The only thing that's a joke is your post!! Over react much!!

Haven't done nothing in the offseason, what planet are you on?? We signed Darian Durante as our BACKUP Qb, a massive improvement over the previous chumps we had. Yep, Adarius Bowman s a joke too, but I ll enjoy watching him get his 1000 yd season just the same!! We upgraded our NAT depth at receiver with Demski and Lafrance gives us solid depth at NAT RB and helps with the ratio management

We lost Heath , big deal, the guy picked cherries/poorly thrown passes in some defense but couldn't cover a bet in man coverage. I ll take the fella from BC any day

We lost westerman, big deal, we got Roh and I ll take him anyday and westerman can count his money and
Rack up all the 15 yard UR penalties he wants, so long, see ya.

We haven't got a MLB,  but that s coming, HM will be here

Regarding Thomas, he s still available so we haven't really lost him, if he wants to win some football games, he can sign back on with us

I wonder if Darian is related  to Jimmy Durante. Grin
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: