Blue Bombers Forum
December 01, 2021, 08:31:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: [OLD] Blue Bombers roster - 2017-2018  (Read 292160 times)
Jesse

« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2017, 06:18:48 PM »

IIRC Buono wanted DP's before letting a GM talk to Reilly.  Was there a backchannel expression of his desire to go to Edm?  Most likely.  But no deal was signed until after the trade.  Its the reason Mack didn't make the deal.

Similarly, Willy wasn't signed before SSK traded him to us, but he wanted to start and this was the most likely spot for that.  And we only gave up Jade, who we were not signing anyway.

EDM will get at least a second rounder from Reed for Franklin.  Maybe even a roster player, not that they need any...

I am a firm believer in the theory that Buono was trying to fleece us out of draft picks when Reilly was going to hit FA and sign with Edmonton regardless. And that Mack wisely said no thanks.

In the Willy trade, we were Willy's only option, and he was our last resort after Collaros and Burris both signed elsewhere.

My wife is amazing!
gbill2004

« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2017, 06:19:36 PM »

IIRC Buono wanted DP's before letting a GM talk to Reilly.  Was there a backchannel expression of his desire to go to Edm?  Most likely.  But no deal was signed until after the trade.  Its the reason Mack didn't make the deal.

Similarly, Willy wasn't signed before SSK traded him to us, but he wanted to start and this was the most likely spot for that.  And we only gave up Jade, who we were not signing anyway.

EDM will get at least a second rounder from Reed for Franklin.  Maybe even a roster player, not that they need any...
I spoke to Joe Mack directly about this and he basically explained to me that Wally was trying to rip him off and that's why he didn't trade for Reilly. 
bluebeard

« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2017, 07:34:06 PM »

I spoke to Joe Mack directly about this and he basically explained to me that Wally was trying to rip him off and that's why he didn't trade for Reilly. 

Is it not Wally's job to get the best return for his player that he can??  Mack was protecting his turf as he saw it at that time.  No doubt that he did not think Reilly was worth what Wally wanted.  Turns out that he was wrong.
gbill2004

« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2017, 07:35:48 PM »

Is it not Wally's job to get the best return for his player that he can??  Mack was protecting his turf as he saw it at that time.  No doubt that he did not think Reilly was worth what Wally wanted.  Turns out that he was wrong.
No it's because Reilly had no intention of ever coming to Winnipeg.  Wally allowed Edmonton to talk to Reilly before making a trade, but he wouldn't allow Winnipeg to talk to him.  Hmmmm....
GCn19

« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2017, 07:42:16 PM »

It may be true that Reilly would never come to Winnipeg, but right now that's purely speculation. We have no way of knowing if he would have signed with us or not. No one in Reilly's camp has ever said he wouldn't have signed. Mack was not wrong because he was not allowed to gauge the interest by Reilly, but that does not mean Reilly would not have signed here.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
theaardvark

« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2017, 09:21:58 PM »

No it's because Reilly had no intention of ever coming to Winnipeg.  Wally allowed Edmonton to talk to Reilly before making a trade, but he wouldn't allow Winnipeg to talk to him.  Hmmmm....

If Wally let Edm talk to Reilly, and Edm found that Reilly was very interested in coming to Edm, why the heck would they trade for him?  Wait for FA.  Did they think somehow we would up the ante too much? 

Unless there was a conditional pick pledged in exchange for talking with him, that if they signed him, they'd get the pick.  Which is effectively a trade, but after the fact.  That would make sense...  I wonder if Mack made an offer like that... if we signed him, Wally would get a first rounder...  would have been worth Wally letting Reilly talk to us.  Although it might then kill his deal with Edm, becasue once we were out of the picture, no need to trade for him...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
gbill2004

« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2017, 09:36:36 PM »

If Wally let Edm talk to Reilly, and Edm found that Reilly was very interested in coming to Edm, why the heck would they trade for him?  Wait for FA.  Did they think somehow we would up the ante too much? 

Unless there was a conditional pick pledged in exchange for talking with him, that if they signed him, they'd get the pick.  Which is effectively a trade, but after the fact.  That would make sense...  I wonder if Mack made an offer like that... if we signed him, Wally would get a first rounder...  would have been worth Wally letting Reilly talk to us.  Although it might then kill his deal with Edm, becasue once we were out of the picture, no need to trade for him...
I?d think Reilly wanted to create some leverage in negotiations. 
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2017, 11:03:29 PM »

That was probably the courtesy for allowing a player under contract to have a back channel conversation with another team.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
DM83

« Reply #98 on: November 27, 2017, 04:46:06 AM »

Why are you taking about something that happened three yes ago.

Naylor said Franklin wants to pursue the NFL.  Now that should be enuff to scar teams away.  Franklin must have been concussed somewhere along the line and has brain damage.Smiley
dd

« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2017, 01:42:18 AM »

Franklin going to the NFL is absolutely laughable,laughable I say. What about the 9 STARTING Qb's, should they be going too!?!? Concussed is right!!
DM83

« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2017, 01:45:28 AM »

I kind of laughed when I heard that from Naylor.  Franklin should shut up and try and play a couple years in CFzl as a starter, before he Warren Moons it.
kkc60

« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2017, 02:38:54 AM »

Franklin hasn't done much to warrant an NFL shot, but I can't fault him for potentially pursuing an opportunity. He's still young and probably has Practice Squad eligibility. And he has enough CFL film to have a job in Canada if the NFL doesn't pan out. That being said, if I were him I'd follow the money in the CFL for this offseason, sign a 2 year deal and go from there
GCn19

« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2017, 01:17:07 PM »

Franklin going to the NFL is absolutely laughable,laughable I say. What about the 9 STARTING Qb's, should they be going too!?!? Concussed is right!!

The CFL QB who has lasted the longest in the NFL over the past several years was a backup who signed with Green Bay after never playing a CFL down. The NFL cares more about measurables than it does about playing time.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2017, 01:20:32 PM »

Franklin hasn't done much to warrant an NFL shot, but I can't fault him for potentially pursuing an opportunity. He's still young and probably has Practice Squad eligibility. And he has enough CFL film to have a job in Canada if the NFL doesn't pan out. That being said, if I were him I'd follow the money in the CFL for this offseason, sign a 2 year deal and go from there

I suppose if you were comparing CFL starters money to NFL practice roster you might conclude that the CFL is the better way to go. But if you're following the money...you'd be hoping for a third-string roster spot in the NFL. Hang around the NFL doing that for a couple years and you'll make the same or more as a starter in the CFL over the same span.
kkc60

« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2017, 01:21:32 PM »

I suppose if you were comparing CFL starters money to NFL practice roster you might conclude that the CFL is the better way to go. But if you're following the money...you'd be hoping for a third-string roster spot in the NFL. Hang around the NFL doing that for a couple years and you'll make the same or more as a starter in the CFL over the same span.
NFL teams seldom carry 3 QBs. At best he would be a gameday scratch
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: