Blue Bombers Forum
October 25, 2021, 03:43:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: [OLD] Blue Bombers roster - 2017-2018  (Read 282133 times)
GCn19

« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2017, 12:54:40 PM »

I've often wondered about this developing players thing. How much of this actually goes on in the league? Given the limited amount of time they practice through the week, it seems that only true time would be in training camp. However, that seems more like an evaluation opportunity more so than coaching up a player. Other than that, is it just throw reps in practice with the team or is there a 'process' that a team does? With the NFL they have the money and the time to have the #2 be a scout squad for the #1 defense, so they get a lot more 'real' reps, so to speak... just curious...

For INT players there is not much development time. It's about being a good player and being patient on the PR for 500 bucks a week. However, NAT players are given a lot development time and energy because they are tough to find. Diamonds in the rough may spend a couple years on the PR.
QBs are definitely developed. Rarely are they CFL ready, it is a completely different game than they are used too. However, by the time a QB is ready a lot of times they are off to another team that can offer them a chance to start. It's the nature of the business. This is a QB driven league so even though chances are you may be developing a QB for someone else, you still have to hope you find the next Ricky Ray that finds his game fast and pushes your current starter to the bench.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
theaardvark

« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2017, 03:04:43 PM »

Why is it astute? Are the extra yards he picks up in those situations worth both the extra SMS cost he would command and the roster spot we've committed to the guy? I would say no. Most quarterbacks can pick up a yard or two, he's not special in that regard. If you want to develop a quarterback you have to find one worth developing. To find one, you need roster spots for QBs available.

If Dom isn't the guy to be the backup, you need a Kevin Glenn type or someone who can actually go in and play if Nichols gets hurt. That means your new QB can't be two. If we're serious about developing a quarterback, we'd sign a veteran QB like KG to go in for Nichols, get rid of LeFeavour and put a new quarterback in the 3 spot and possibly one on the PR. If you don't, you're left with LeFeavour starting when your 'number 2' inevitably isn't ready yet.

Personally, I'd prefer LeFevour over Glenn any day of the week as a backup.  He actually brings the short yardage game to the table, and is just as likely to come off the bench and win you a game as Glenn...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn19

« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2017, 03:19:13 PM »

Personally, I'd prefer LeFevour over Glenn any day of the week as a backup.  He actually brings the short yardage game to the table, and is just as likely to come off the bench and win you a game as Glenn...

LOL...you're joking right?

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
gbill2004

« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2017, 03:31:39 PM »

Uhm...no  Roll Eyes
Horseman

« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2017, 04:01:48 PM »

For a back up QB, Glenn is head and shoulders better, if he is released by Sask, I would hope the Big Blue would approach him about coming back. I think at this point Glenn will have accepted the fact he will not start anywhere and if he wants to keep on playing, his role will be as a back up.
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2017, 04:16:05 PM »

If the bombers acquire Glenn it will be 28 without a cup.
theaardvark

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2017, 04:25:30 PM »

Uhm...no  Roll Eyes

For a back up QB, Glenn is head and shoulders better, if he is released by Sask, I would hope the Big Blue would approach him about coming back. I think at this point Glenn will have accepted the fact he will not start anywhere and if he wants to keep on playing, his role will be as a back up.

Why?  Glenn gonna Glenn.  He might win you the ESF, but then toss up 3 picks in the first half and kill your dreams.  Ask SSK if Glenn is the answer. 

At least with LeFevour you can plan around his play.  And he brings a day in / day out skill to the team with excellent short yardage skills... 

If the bombers acquire Glenn it will be 28 without a cup.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 02:23:59 PM by ModAdmin » Logged

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Jesse

« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2017, 04:37:10 PM »

Why?  Glenn gonna Glenn.  He might win you the ESF, but then toss up 3 picks in the first half and kill your dreams.  Ask SSK if Glenn is the answer. 

But Lefevour wouldn't even get you to the play offs.

My wife is amazing!
thunderNlightning

« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2017, 10:23:52 PM »

At least with LeFevour you can plan around his play.  And he brings a day in / day out skill to the team with excellent short yardage skills... 

Ding a ling a ling...
Wow!!! This is crazy talk right there!!
theaardvark

« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2017, 11:22:26 PM »

So, Glenn had a good ESF, and then absolutely crapped the bed in the EF.  

How does that affect my "credibility"?  He is exactly as his stats say.   A .500ish QB that has never won a big game even though he's thrown for a million yards...  the exact last guy you want to pin your hopes and dreams on.

gbill2004

« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2017, 11:47:17 PM »

How does that affect my "credibility"?  He is exactly as his stats say.   A .500ish QB that has never won a big game even though he's thrown for a million yards...  the exact last guy you want to pin your hopes and dreams on.
You say you prefer Lefevour over Glenn. What?s Lefevour win percentage and how many big games has he won?
NorthernSkunk

« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2017, 12:40:31 AM »

You say you prefer Lefevour over Glenn. What?s Lefevour win percentage and how many big games has he won?

Just for the record I don't say Lefevour over Glenn.....I just don't want Glenn.....the blue should go out and bring some really good QB talent to camp and see what happens.
gbill2004

« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2017, 12:44:21 AM »

Just for the record I don't say Lefevour over Glenn.....I just don't want Glenn.....the blue should go out and bring some really good QB talent to camp and see what happens.
I didn?t say you did. I was replying to Aards.
kkc60

« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2017, 12:51:16 AM »

Okay. And LeFevour almost killed our stud runningback because of a bad throw, has been mediocre at best in his career while getting replaced by Drew Willy last season. Is Glenn the most ideal backup QB? No. The most ideal backup would be a James Franklin or Brandon Bridge-esque guy. But to suggest LeFevour over Glenn just shows your unreasonable bias against Glenn.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2017, 01:49:32 AM »

I do not want either one as a backup, but if it is solely a choice between those two guys, give me Kevin Glenn. Does he implode at unfortunate times? Sure. Does he put up huge games occasionally? Yup. I would have been thrilled to go to him this year instead of Davis or LeFevour. He is not scared or timid. He has won playoff games. He has engineered comebacks. He won an Eastern Final in 2007 and a Western Final in 2012. Give me that as a back up on a contending team. We do not need two developmental guys (not suggesting that is what LeFevour is, but if we had Glenn, we would not have LeFevour). We need a QB who can engineer a win, not one who can merely hand off to a running back and get out of the way. The development guy can run short yardage.

I am not saying that Glenn should be a guy we actively pursue, but if he is released in Saskatchewan, then I think he would be a good fit. And I would happily take him over LeFevour on our team right now.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: