Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2017/2018 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 16, 2017, 03:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbill2004

Quote from: Jesse on March 23, 2018, 03:23:38 PM
In this context, I would rather them sit him.

If he's not good to go the morning of the game, let him sit one out.
He practiced this morning. 

Jesse

Quote from: gbill2004 on March 23, 2018, 03:25:09 PM
He practiced this morning. 

I understand that, but it's how pomo worded it, "We'll give him the afternoon to make sure it continues to go the direction it's going."

It makes it sound as if he's not there yet, but they think it will be by tonight.
My wife is amazing!

gbill2004

Quote from: Jesse on March 23, 2018, 03:29:21 PM
I understand that, but it's how pomo worded it, "We'll give him the afternoon to make sure it continues to go the direction it's going."

It makes it sound as if he's not there yet, but they think it will be by tonight.
I think they just want to see how he feels after practice.  My bet is he plays tonight. 

theaardvark

If his mobility isn't great, then he is a liability except in his office on the PP.  Dress him for just PP time, sure.  But not regular shifts unless he's going to be able to skate naturally and defend himself (including getting out of the way of pucks...).  If he's distracted by pain, or by mobility issues, that's when you get caught in the crosshairs of a legal but devastating open ice hit...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

gbill2004

Laine?s sequence of events this morning according to Maurice:
1. Felt good so took the morning skate with the team rather than with injured players
2. Skated harder than he?s ever skated in a warm up to prove he was ok
3. Left ice, walked into coach?s office & said, ?I can play?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on March 23, 2018, 03:35:37 PM
If his mobility isn't great, then he is a liability except in his office on the PP.  Dress him for just PP time, sure.  But not regular shifts unless he's going to be able to skate naturally and defend himself (including getting out of the way of pucks...).

What a ridiculous suggestion. He either plays or he doesn't play. You don't dress a player just to have him sit for the majority game on the off chance he'll hit the ice for power play time. That's detrimental to the player and the team.

He practiced this morning. Now it'll depend on how the rest of the day goes to see if he'll be able to play as he normally would later on.

Quote from: gbill2004 on March 23, 2018, 03:38:07 PM
1. Felt good so took the morning skate with the team rather than with injured players

Such great news. Now we wait.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 23, 2018, 03:41:28 PM
What a ridiculous suggestion. He either plays or he doesn't play. You don't dress a player just to have him sit for the majority game on the off chance he'll hit the ice for power play time. That's detrimental to the player and the team.

He practiced this morning. Now it'll depend on how the rest of the day goes to see if he'll be able to play as he normally would later on.

Such great news. Now we wait.

Exactly.  Some people would want him back because of his PP ability, and like I said, if it was just for that, sure.  So sorry I assumed that the "but that would be dumb" was implied.  Which is why he shouldn't dress until he is ready. 

Great news about his practice today.  Hopefully his foot doesn't swell up too much this afternoon, or require much freezing.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

The Zipp

I think he will play based on what Pomo says...

Jesse

Quote from: gbill2004 on March 23, 2018, 03:38:07 PM

Sounds pretty good, I would simply exercise extra caution with a player like Laine this close to the play offs.
My wife is amazing!

gbill2004

Quote from: Jesse on March 23, 2018, 03:57:46 PM
Sounds pretty good, I would simply exercise extra caution with a player like Laine this close to the play offs.
I think he wants to win the Rocket Richard trophy. 

Jesse

Quote from: gbill2004 on March 23, 2018, 04:09:39 PM
I think he wants to win the Rocket Richard trophy. 

Absolutely he does.

But, and I'm not saying it is necessary in this particular case, but it is in these moments where the coach has to make the decision for the players' best interest.

But hey, if Laine skated hard at practice and they don't see any ill-effects in the warm-up, what else is the coach supposed to do?

Is Helle in net tonight?
My wife is amazing!

gbill2004

Quote from: Jesse on March 23, 2018, 04:21:41 PM
Absolutely he does.

But, and I'm not saying it is necessary in this particular case, but it is in these moments where the coach has to make the decision for the players' best interest.

But hey, if Laine skated hard at practice and they don't see any ill-effects in the warm-up, what else is the coach supposed to do?

Is Helle in net tonight?
I'd assume the medical staff has final sign-off on whether he plays. 

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: Jesse on March 23, 2018, 04:21:41 PM
Absolutely he does.

Is Helle in net tonight?

Yup
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: gbill2004 on March 23, 2018, 04:22:24 PM
I'd assume the medical staff has final sign-off on whether he plays. 

I believe they have to do that before he can practice with the reg team. If he pracyiced this morning then they signed off.

Now its up to the coach.
#35.... The Godfather of Swag