Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2017/2018 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 16, 2017, 03:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Quote from: The Zipp on January 03, 2018, 03:51:27 AM
Snake bit in OT once again.  Perhaps buff had too much ice time in OT??  Lucky to get a point in that one.  Jets played hard couldn't get the bounces.  Helly had a great game especially in the 3rd

OT is definitely not a strength of this team. Fortunately, it's a different format come playoff time. And for whatever reason, the Jets always seem to lose in Denver. Ah, well... Just take the point and go. Wheeler and Hellebuyck were monsters last night.

Quote from: theaardvark on January 03, 2018, 05:21:40 AM
Trouba is probably after $10mil/yr.

Based on what...? What a silly claim. We have absolutely no idea what Trouba is after. And no GM in his right mind would pay him $10M per year.

The rest of your post isn't even worthy of acknowledgement, much less a response. Your ongoing vilification narrative of Jacob Trouba is just strange.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

gbill2004

Trouba isn't getting $10 million per year and I doubt that's what he's looking for.  Based on his play this season, I'm guessing his market is in the $6 million per season.  He would probably get 6-7 years if he wanted as term. 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: gbill2004 on January 03, 2018, 01:25:21 PM
Trouba isn't getting $10 million per year and I doubt that's what he's looking for.  Based on his play this season, I'm guessing his market is in the $6 million per season.  He would probably get 6-7 years if he wanted as term. 

Precisely. Well said. Trouba is clearly confident in his abilities as a defenseman but he is not a delusional idiot. Remember: money wasn't his concern when he chose to sit out. For anyone to think he'd ask for a million more per year than the highest paid blueliner in the NHL (PK Subban - http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/2018/cap-hit/defenseman/) just smacks of utter ignorance.

I see no reason why Cheveldayoff wouldn't negotiate in good faith and give him a fair and reasonable contract when the time comes. He knows the worth of Jacob Trouba better than any armchair GM would.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: gbill2004 on January 03, 2018, 01:25:21 PM

Word was that he had a $6mil 8 yr deal on the table he turned it down.  If that's true, he spent $6million dollars for the right to negotiate again next year.  Six million to get more control over where he plays.  $6,000,000.00 to have a better option at playing 30 other places.

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on January 03, 2018, 01:21:26 PM
OT is definitely not a strength of this team. Fortunately, it's a different format come playoff time. And for whatever reason, the Jets always seem to lose in Denver. Ah, well... Just take the point and go. Wheeler and Hellebuyck were monsters last night.

Based on what...? What a silly claim. We have absolutely no idea what Trouba is after. And no GM in his right mind would pay him $10M per year.

The rest of your post isn't even worthy of acknowledgement, much less a response. Your ongoing vilification narrative of Jacob Trouba is just strange.

If he wanted to be a Jet, he would have signed a long term deal.  Instead, he left more money than most of us will see in our lifetimes on the table.  And he held out, not saying we make the playoffs if he's in the lineup to start the year, but it may have been a lot closer.

Scheifele, Ehlers, Little... all signed for long term, 55 and 27 for $6 mil'ish deals, and both of them I'd say are more important players on this roster than Trouba. 

Not begrudging Trouba his right to seek the maximum contract he can, or his right to choose where he plays (withing the confines of the CBA).  But I don't have to embrace him as a Jet, and am free to "vilify" his actions towards my team.     

It almost feels like to me that he's is going to end up being our Matt Duschene.  And that wasn't a healthy thing.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on January 03, 2018, 02:02:49 PM
Word was that he had a $6mil 8 yr deal on the table he turned it down.  If that's true, he spent $6million dollars for the right to negotiate again next year.  Six million to get more control over where he plays.  $6,000,000.00 to have a better option at playing 30 other places.

That was rumoured and never substantiated, either by his camp or by the Jets. So, try again.

Quote from: theaardvark on January 03, 2018, 02:02:49 PM
If he wanted to be a Jet, he would have signed a long term deal.  Instead, he left more money than most of us will see in our lifetimes on the table.  And he held out, not saying we make the playoffs if he's in the lineup to start the year, but it may have been a lot closer.

Scheifele, Ehlers, Little... all signed for long term, 55 and 27 for $6 mil'ish deals, and both of them I'd say are more important players on this roster than Trouba. 

Not begrudging Trouba his right to seek the maximum contract he can, or his right to choose where he plays (withing the confines of the CBA).  But I don't have to embrace him as a Jet, and am free to "vilify" his actions towards my team.     

It almost feels like to me that he's is going to end up being our Matt Duschene.  And that wasn't a healthy thing.

Patently false. PK Subban signed a bridge deal with the Canadiens in Jan. 2013 and then negotiated a long-term deal in Aug. 2014. He wasn't traded until You have no idea how a bridge deal works or why they're even an option for young RFAs.

In one breath, you say his presence would've helped the Jets' playoff chances early in the season, but then proceed to say he's less important than other players. ???

Despite the fact the issues were resolved ages ago, you fixate on them to justify your sad, pathetic bias towards him, to the point you erroneously compare him to a self-centered prima donna like Matt Duchene. And then pull the  free to do what I want because it's my team" card. You're the first one on this forum to bring up empty seats at Jets games. How pitifully transparent.

Ask a guy like Mark Scheifele what he thinks of Trouba, one of his best friends since the two were drafted. Or Andrew Copp, a childhood friend who's known Trouba since they were 10 years old (https://www.nhl.com/jets/news/trouba-and-copp-the-michigan-connection/c-879448).

Get a clue and spare us all from these painfully oblivious comments rife with what ifs and spin.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

gbill2004

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on January 03, 2018, 06:22:36 PM
That was rumoured and never substantiated, either by his camp or by the Jets. So, try again.
Wow you sure aren't one for "non-official" statements.  You do realize that there's a lot that happens without being officially being announced by a team, player or agent, right?  Guys like Bob McKenzie and Darren Dreger and legit and very credible. 

GOLDMEMBER

Whoop there it is blue_gold_84 on another posting tyrade!

Must be that time of year lol
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: gbill2004 on January 03, 2018, 06:40:32 PM
Wow you sure aren't one for "non-official" statements.  You do realize that there's a lot that happens without being officially being announced by a team, player or agent, right?  Guys like Bob McKenzie and Darren Dreger and legit and very credible. 

Should I be...? Speculation is fun and all but I'll stick with facts over unsubstantiated reports and rumours on Twitter. Reports during that time had the Jets offering him a 6-year deal, a 7-year deal, and a 8-year deal, as well as widely varying amounts of money. It was also reported back then had another team given Trouba an offer sheet, the Jets would've matched it. There were also reports saying multiple teams were interested in trading for him (BOS, DET, NYR, TOR, ARI, EDM), but nothing regarding what any team was willing to trade. That's a lot of inconsistency, so what's to be believed? What's to be gained by accepting "non-official" statements from those not affiliated with the organization?

And again, I never said McKenzie or Dreger weren't legit or credible. It's their job to dig for information and speculation around the league, and both do an excellent job of that. They look at all the angles and report everything equally, which is why they're legit and credible. But they never pass off that information as fact until they can confirm it with a respective GM or the like.
Take this article from McKenzie back on Oct. 31/2016 to see what I mean: https://www.tsn.ca/trouba-really-only-has-two-choices-1.596587

Anyone who follows the Jets closely knows how Cheveldayoff operates, anyway. He plays his cards as close to the vest as any GM in the NHL, which only further fuels the speculative fires on social media. Add Trouba's agent to the mix, who operates in a similar fashion, and that's good for a raging rumour wildfire we saw back in late summer and early fall of 2016.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_or_die

I think you're both wrong and that we don't know anything  :)

I have no idea what's up with Trouba, and I've flopped sides several times. Not sure if there's any substance to what he says, or what pundits are squawking on about. This is going to have to be a situation we see play out, and I think one side is going to be right/wrong in the most black/white sense of the term.

I want to believe Trouba wants to sign here and the reasons for it make lots of sense, but the skeptic in me also think the rumour mill may have truth to it too.

\_(ツ)_/
#Ride?

gbill2004

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on January 03, 2018, 07:18:02 PM
Should I be...? Speculation is fun and all but I'll stick with facts over unsubstantiated reports and rumours on Twitter. Reports during that time had the Jets offering him a 6-year deal, a 7-year deal, and a 8-year deal, as well as widely varying amounts of money. It was also reported back then had another team given Trouba an offer sheet, the Jets would've matched it. There were also reports saying multiple teams were interested in trading for him (BOS, DET, NYR, TOR, ARI, EDM), but nothing regarding what any team was willing to trade. That's a lot of inconsistency, so what's to be believed? What's to be gained by accepting "non-official" statements from those not affiliated with the organization?

And again, I never said McKenzie or Dreger weren't legit or credible. It's their job to dig for information and speculation around the league, and both do an excellent job of that. They look at all the angles and report everything equally, which is why they're legit and credible. But they never pass off that information as fact until they can confirm it with a respective GM or the like.
Take this article from McKenzie back on Oct. 31/2016 to see what I mean: https://www.tsn.ca/trouba-really-only-has-two-choices-1.596587

Anyone who follows the Jets closely knows how Cheveldayoff operates, anyway. He plays his cards as close to the vest as any GM in the NHL, which only further fuels the speculative fires on social media. Add Trouba's agent to the mix, who operates in a similar fashion, and that's good for a raging rumour wildfire we saw back in late summer and early fall of 2016.
The official party line from Chevy and Evander Kane's agent was that he never requested to be traded from the Jets.  Yet after he was traded, it was revealed that he had requested a trade two years earlier.  Trouba may or may not want to play in Canada, but I rarely believe the official statements.  And I believe that "where there smoke, there's fire". 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: gbill2004 on January 03, 2018, 08:01:58 PM
The official party line from Chevy and Evander Kane's agent was that he never requested to be traded from the Jets.  Yet after he was traded, it was revealed that he had requested a trade two years earlier.  Trouba may or may not want to play in Canada, but I rarely believe the official statements.  And I believe that "where there smoke, there's fire". 

There's no parallel to be made between Kane and Trouba. Kane was a locker room cancer more often than not as a Jet and it was a case of attitude and personality, not role or opportunity with the team. Kane was immature, arrogant, and rubbed his teammates the wrong way with his antics off the ice. I don't think it's reasonable to compare that situation to what happened with Trouba.

And sure, where there's smoke, there's fire - something we saw during Kane's time in Winnipeg every off-season. But the same can't be said for Trouba and there has been no smoke since he signed his bridge deal and rescinded his trade request back in Nov. 2016. He's simply focused on being the best player he can be: http://winnipegsun.com/2017/09/15/trouba-just-wants-to-play/wcm/83b375f0-e0df-49e6-aefd-82da6c2bf4bc
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Sir Blue and Gold

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if you told me he was traded and I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a long-term deal. I think it's about 50-50 and will probably come down to how the Jets want to spend their SMS dollars more so than anything from the Trouba camp. I think he'd sign the right deal.

gbill2004

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 03, 2018, 09:23:55 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if you told me he was traded and I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a long-term deal. I think it's about 50-50 and will probably come down to how the Jets want to spend their SMS dollars more so than anything from the Trouba camp. I think he'd sign the right deal.
Agreed, I have no idea what will happen.  I'm just going by what credible sources previously reported, but things can always change. 

gbill2004

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on January 03, 2018, 08:32:36 PM
There's no parallel to be made between Kane and Trouba. Kane was a locker room cancer more often than not as a Jet and it was a case of attitude and personality, not role or opportunity with the team. Kane was immature, arrogant, and rubbed his teammates the wrong way with his antics off the ice. I don't think it's reasonable to compare that situation to what happened with Trouba.

And sure, where there's smoke, there's fire - something we saw during Kane's time in Winnipeg every off-season. But the same can't be said for Trouba and there has been no smoke since he signed his bridge deal and rescinded his trade request back in Nov. 2016. He's simply focused on being the best player he can be: http://winnipegsun.com/2017/09/15/trouba-just-wants-to-play/wcm/83b375f0-e0df-49e6-aefd-82da6c2bf4bc
I'm not comparing the two situations.  I'm making the point that you can't always believe the official statements from players, agents and GMs. 

theaardvark

How many players have "rescinded" a trade request, only to be traded shortly thereafter?  Hard to stuff that genie back into the bottle.  Hamonic is a prime example.  After his family situation resolved itself, he was happy to stay on the Island, and then zoom... he's off to Calgary.

"We have a lot of depth on the blue line," Islanders general manager Garth Snow said. "It's going to give some of our younger D an opportunity to get some playing time, and we're really confident in that position moving forward. This was a situation that we felt we could capitalize and bring in some assets. Whether we use those in the draft or use them as a currency in a future player transaction, it's a good luxury for our organization to have."

Hamonic, who grew up in the Winnipeg area, had requested a trade to a Western Canadian team prior to the 2015-16 season for personal reasons. He rescinded that request after the season, when the Islanders won a playoff round for the first time since 1993.

Snow wouldn't comment on whether the trade was related to Hamonic's request last season.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.