Main Menu

NFL Discussion

Started by ModAdmin, September 07, 2017, 05:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colton

Quote from: theaardvark on February 07, 2018, 01:34:23 PM
Not sure how he's blacklisted... you want to coach a 4-12 team, or wait to take over the Pats?  Ask Dave Dickenson about that... how long did he hang in CGY when other HC jobs were available?

Sure, he was a little dooshey about how it happened, but you know Kraft waited for the last second to rip the rug out from under the Colts.  McD's new deal in NE must be pretty sweet...

The 4-12 team with Andrew Luck as QB. Belichick+Brady is what makes the Patriots good. By the time there is an opening at HC neither will be there. The Patriots are not going to be a good team once that happens.

On the other hand, McDaniels makes for a horrible head coach. Once he does get another shot at it he'll likely get 2-3 years before he's booted again, might get some more years as an OC before people realize he's no good at that either and then he'll be either out of football or at least be making substantially less money doing so. Might as well take a few more years as the Patriots OC at what is more than likely close to or more than your average HC pay before that happens.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: gbill2004 on February 07, 2018, 02:59:16 PM
I disagree. I'd say his reputation is tarnished around the entire league. He's just proven that he is man who does not keep his word, and I don't think that can be disputed.

He hung them out to dry and burned them badly. Not to say someone else won't hire him, but they're definitely going to have something in writing next time.

theaardvark

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on February 07, 2018, 04:32:01 PM
He hung them out to dry and burned them badly. Not to say someone else won't hire him, but they're definitely going to have something in writing next time.

You have to admit, it was pretty silly to announce a deal before you have it in writing.  The Colts GM wanted to get out in front of it, having scooped up a coach that has been to the Superbowl a number of times, that has been running Tom Brady.  He let the cat out of the bag before he had the deal done, and let Kraft screw him. 

I don't feel at all sorry for him, and I don't fault McD for taking a better deal from Kraft.  The biggest thing I see is that with Kraft, he knows he has an owner that is going to pony up the cash.  He may not have Brady, but he's going to have a team that is not hamstrung by budget.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

gbill2004

Source says agent Bob LaMonte, who represents Josh McDaniels, Colts GM Chris Ballard and many other coaches/execs, is terminating his relationship with McDaniels.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on February 07, 2018, 05:17:25 PM
You have to admit, it was pretty silly to announce a deal before you have it in writing.  The Colts GM wanted to get out in front of it, having scooped up a coach that has been to the Superbowl a number of times, that has been running Tom Brady.  He let the cat out of the bag before he had the deal done, and let Kraft screw him. 

I don't feel at all sorry for him, and I don't fault McD for taking a better deal from Kraft.  The biggest thing I see is that with Kraft, he knows he has an owner that is going to pony up the cash.  He may not have Brady, but he's going to have a team that is not hamstrung by budget.

The fact that they announced it really doesn't enter into the equation. The guy told him he would be their head coach and then at the 11th hour decided he wouldn't. In the meantime, most of the other coaches that interviewed for the job agreed to other gigs. There are only three weeks until the combine. Coaches that had agreed to be on McDaniels staff are now stuck in limbo (to Indy's credit they say they'll honour them) but who knows what will happen when they find a coach. McDaniels screwed up. He either shouldn't have said he'd take the job if he wasn't sure, but when he did, he shouldn't have walked it back. Obviously, you don't see anything wrong with the situation because you go against the grain on virtually everything but that doesn't make it any less so.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: gbill2004 on February 07, 2018, 02:59:16 PM
I disagree. I'd say his reputation is tarnished around the entire league. He's just proven that he is man who does not keep his word, and I don't think that can be disputed.

While I agree this reflects poorly on him, I don't think he's been blacklisted across the entire league. Circumstances changed and he chose to do what's probably best for him - the same as any other coach. I don't think he's the guy to get the Colts on track, anyway. He just doesn't come across as HC material yet, IMO. And his job security as OC with the Patriots is basically guaranteed.

The Colts organization should've waited to go public until McDaniels actually signed a contract. They look silly here for making an announcement based on a verbal agreement.

Considering the recent history between the Colts and the Patriots, I'm not surprised at how this played out.

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Colton

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 07, 2018, 06:03:24 PM
While I agree this reflects poorly on him, I don't think he's been blacklisted across the entire league. Circumstances changed and he chose to do what's probably best for him - the same as any other coach. I don't think he's the guy to get the Colts on track, anyway. He just doesn't come across as HC material yet, IMO. And his job security as OC with the Patriots is basically guaranteed.

The Colts organization should've waited to go public until McDaniels actually signed a contract. They look silly here for making an announcement based on a verbal agreement.

Considering the recent history between the Colts and the Patriots, I'm not surprised at how this played out.

He didn't tell any of the assistant coaches he had lined up he was going to back out, at least one of which had left his previous job to join him in Indianapolis.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Colton on February 07, 2018, 06:07:23 PM
He didn't tell any of the assistant coaches he had lined up he was going to back out, at least one of which had left his previous job to join him in Indianapolis.

I know. Hence my comment saying this turn of events reflects poorly on him. There's no excuse: he could've handled it much better than he did.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: gbill2004 on February 07, 2018, 05:45:36 PM
Source says agent Bob LaMonte, who represents Josh McDaniels, Colts GM Chris Ballard and many other coaches/execs, is terminating his relationship with McDaniels.

That's short sighted, McD obviously is getting paid, and the agent still gets his cut.  I'd wait for teh cheque to clear, and then dump him ;)

Quote from: Colton on February 07, 2018, 06:07:23 PM

That sucks, but again, leaving a job before your new one is assured, you must not be happy with your old job anyway...  No reason a guy needs to quit early, wait for the firm offer before you tell you boss to that this job and shovel it...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Colton

Quote from: theaardvark on February 07, 2018, 09:32:06 PM
That sucks, but again, leaving a job before your new one is assured, you must not be happy with your old job anyway...  No reason a guy needs to quit early, wait for the firm offer before you tell you boss to that this job and shovel it...

This isn't factual whatsoever

theaardvark

Quote from: Colton on February 07, 2018, 10:23:00 PM
This isn't factual whatsoever

How so?  If yo are happy with your job, you wait until you have pen to paper to quit.  If you aren't, first opportunity, you bail.  I know, I've been there.  Quitting your job to go work for someone that hasn't even signed his own deal is kinda risky... dontcha think?

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on February 08, 2018, 02:31:16 AM
How so?  If yo are happy with your job, you wait until you have pen to paper to quit.  If you aren't, first opportunity, you bail.  I know, I've been there.  Quitting your job to go work for someone that hasn't even signed his own deal is kinda risky... dontcha think?

You're a little bit people challenged aren't you?

Colton

Quote from: theaardvark on February 08, 2018, 02:31:16 AM

They did have pen to paper, McDaniels is the one that had to wait until his team was no longer actively involved in the current season to sign the contract he had already agreed to. The assistants he lined up from other teams didn't have to.

Keep spouting off nonsense though when you don't even know what happened.

blue_gold_84

49ers re-up Garoppolo to a whopper of a contract: https://www.tsn.ca/report-49ers-sign-garoppolo-to-record-deal-1.992434

The San Francisco 49ers have reportedly signed quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo to a record-breaking contract.

According to Mike Garafolo of NFL Network, the 49ers have signed the quarterback to a five-year, $137.5 million contract.

Looks like the Niners have found their QB. Wow!
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

gbill2004

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 08, 2018, 07:56:51 PM
49ers re-up Garoppolo to a whopper of a contract: https://www.tsn.ca/report-49ers-sign-garoppolo-to-record-deal-1.992434

Looks like the Niners have found their QB. Wow!
Great news for Aaron Rodgers!