Main Menu

NFL Discussion

Started by ModAdmin, September 07, 2017, 05:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: Chris1982 on January 19, 2018, 09:58:37 PM
They had no choice... he was in a contract year... it was either trade him or give him a HUGE contract which he would have demanded... and they can not afford to keep Brady and a big Garrapolo contract.

He was a free agent AFTER this year...  so, they got a second round pick in exchange for a great insurance policy... 

Pretty sure the reason EDM didn't trade Franklin during the year was in case Reilly dislocated his thumb and suffered a laceration on it and couldn't play in the WDF... 

And they still got something for him after the season was over... 

And, had Reilly suffered a career ending injury, well... 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Chris1982

Quote from: theaardvark on January 20, 2018, 03:09:33 AM
He was a free agent AFTER this year...  so, they got a second round pick in exchange for a great insurance policy... 

Pretty sure the reason EDM didn't trade Franklin during the year was in case Reilly dislocated his thumb and suffered a laceration on it and couldn't play in the WDF... 

And they still got something for him after the season was over... 

And, had Reilly suffered a career ending injury, well... 

Yes, I do not see your point.  I never said he was a free agent DURING the season.  I am not sure why you put "AFTER" in capital letters.

While its debatable and controversial as to if trading him was the right move, if they had waited until the season was over, he would have been free to sign with anyone... at least this way the Patriots got a 2nd round pick in exchange for him.

On to another topic, there is an interesting article about how it was possible they kept Brady and Garoppolo for another season:

But could New England have massaged its cap situation in some way to have hung on to both Garoppolo and Brady, at least for one more year?
Joe Banner, the former CEO for both the Eagles and Browns, certainly thinks so.

"It really isn?t that hard to do," Banner told me by phone this week.

For one thing, the cap keeps rising. It stood at $167 million per team in 2017, which is a 36 percent increase just since 2013. The 2018 cap is expected to be anywhere from $174 million to $178 million, though Banner believes the actual number might come in even higher. "I think the caps going to be more like 180 to 182 or 183," he said.

This means, simply, that there will be more money to spend. The Patriots have already committed $15 million in 2018 salary toward Brady, plus an additional $7 million from his prorated signing bonus toward his cap charge, for a total of $22 million. Garoppolo, had he not been traded, would have been scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in March. But the Patriots, as Banner suggested, could have placed the franchise tag on him - a move that likely would have cost an estimated $23.55 million in both salary and cap charges.

That would have meant $45.55 million against the cap for just two quarterbacks. Which seems crazy! But, as Banner explained, its not as simple as that. Because the cap is fungible.

"I always thought about the cap like a poker game, and you have X number of chips," Banner said. "And whether youre going to win or lose depends upon whether you bet the most on the right hands or not. So its always just an allocation of priorities and whats most important."

Banner laid out an extensive cost-benefit analysis that goes far beyond LOL $45 million for two QBs.

"If you had made the statement to me, Would you ever put $45 million into the quarterback position for two guys over one year? I mean, thats a no brainer. No. Id never do that," Banner said. "If you said to me, though, could you rationalize for one year of putting $45 million into two quarterbacks, and in return for this, you get the year and a half of [Brady] insurance, and maybe the starting quarterback for the next 10 years, or a phenomenal value in a trade and by the way the sacrifice youre making for the 18 roster is pretty modest because youve got some players who are planning on getting rid of anyway to create a bunch of room? Well, then, you go, "You know what, that isnt as obvious an answer as I initially thought it was.?"

The trade possibility is the first big part of it. By keeping and tagging Garoppolo, the Pats would have signaled to the rest of the league how much they valued him. The knock-on effect here is the leverage it would have given the Pats in a possible trade. New England ended up dealing Garoppolo to San Francisco for a second-round pick. But by tagging him, the Pats maybe could have gotten a first-rounder from a QB-needy team?perhaps even from the Niners in addition to clearing that $23.55 million tag cost from their books.

Jesse

Clearly, there were politics involved that had nothing to do with the salary cap.
My wife is amazing!

Chris1982

Quote from: Jesse on January 20, 2018, 02:31:01 PM
Clearly, there were politics involved that had nothing to do with the salary cap.

Yup, agreed.

theaardvark

Garapalo didn't want to sit behind Brady and waste his starting years...  likewise Franklin didn't want to sit behind Reilly. 

Both GM's got a second rounder for the asset, but Edm got a season of low cost insurance just for honouring a contract that was valid and enforceable.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Chris1982

Quote from: theaardvark on January 20, 2018, 06:26:18 PM
Garapalo didn't want to sit behind Brady and waste his starting years...  likewise Franklin didn't want to sit behind Reilly. 

Both GM's got a second rounder for the asset, but Edm got a season of low cost insurance just for honouring a contract that was valid and enforceable.

I don't really see where you are going with this Eskimos reference.  I can think of tons of better comparisons to this situation. 

The Zipp

Could be a great day of football!!!

Calling the Jags upset- their defence is that good!!

gbill2004

Quote from: The Zipp on January 21, 2018, 06:59:41 PM

I've got the Pats winning, but that wouldn't surprise me either...Jags do have a great D!  I'd LOVE to see Brady lose!

Jesse

Quote from: The Zipp on January 21, 2018, 06:59:41 PM

Hopefully. Nothing would be more boring than seeing the Pats win again.

I?m dreaming of a Jags/Vikings showdown.
My wife is amazing!

gbill2004

The Zipp

Quote from: gbill2004 on January 21, 2018, 07:54:59 PM
Jags up 14-3!!!

That is pretty much a perfect half so far for the Jags. 

Van Noy got completely owned on that TD. 

Never count the Pats out though.  Time for the refs to help them out somehow

gbill2004

Quote from: The Zipp on January 21, 2018, 07:57:53 PM
That is pretty much a perfect half so far for the Jags. 

Van Noy got completely owned on that TD. 

Never count the Pats out though.  Time for the refs to help them out somehow
Ya the NFL doesn?t want the Jags in the Super Bowl.

Chris1982

Being down 14-3 for any other team would be a lot more concerning. Somehow the Patriots always find a way to claw their way back. With or without help from the refs  ::)  ;)  will be surprised if Jags run away with it. They may win but Pats offense will probably get going in the 2nd half. 

gbill2004

Looks like Gronk might be done for the day with a concussion.  That hit to the head looked pretty nasty.

The Zipp

47 yards on that drive via penalties...hate to be like this but getting gronk potentially out is huge - prob worth the 15 yards.