Way Too Early Power Rankings (by 3rd DownNation)

Started by ModAdmin, December 02, 2023, 03:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 05, 2024, 04:02:31 AMSurprised anyone would put CGY dead last, seeing as how they dominated most of the 2010-2019 decade.  And the Huffer/Dickenson combo always had a knack for finding talent.

I wonder if their snail's pace demise has been due to the old and decrepit facilities?  That decade saw many teams get new stadiums and player facilities, and maybe players look at the CGY situation and balk vs coming to WPG or SSK or HAM/TOR/OTT.

It used to be players would take a discount to be in CGY, now it seems like you have to pay them more.  Now they take a discount to be in WPG, BC or TOR.

Ya, you could say it's also/more about winning... but up until just 1-2 seasons ago CGY was always in the mix for a good playoff run.  Maybe it's all of the above, and a compounding factor.  I think it's getting time for CGY to pony up for a new home.

Not sure the facilities have anything to do with it, but they've kind of been slipping down hill since they lost John Murphy. Huff failed to adapt to the rise of free agency as a tool to re-build a club and hold it on top, which were the building blocks tha Bombers used to overtake them.  Looks like the ownership group is disinterested in supporting the franchise and funding it properly, over the last decade they have not kept up.

theaardvark

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

The player rankings are dumb because a) they didn't aggregate it (who cares what each player thinks on their own?!), and b) they were allowed to pick their own team for #2 (mega lame).

They should have forbidden players from ranking their own team at all, and aggregated the results.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 17, 2024, 04:51:37 AMThe player rankings are dumb because a) they didn't aggregate it (who cares what each player thinks on their own?!), and b) they were allowed to pick their own team for #2 (mega lame).

They should have forbidden players from ranking their own team at all, and aggregated the results.

Very valid points, if this was more than a puff piece.  This was not to attain a true ranking system, but rather a glimpse into the players thoughts.  And I am surprised that every player did not take their team first.  That would be the minimum I would expect.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on April 17, 2024, 02:29:18 PMAnd I am surprised that every player did not take their team first.  That would be the minimum I would expect.

The rules specifically forbade that.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on Today at 07:56:44 AMThe rules specifically forbade that.

If that is the case, their own team should not have been in the ranking at all...