NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_or_die

So does this make Richards an FA? Any guesses from folks who picks him up and how much money he makes?

IMO might be a good pickup for a contender looking to bust through. Would give some size to Montreal's so-so offense. Maybe NYR? I wonder what he's willing to play for, but then again there will be no shortage of teams interested, so the market will dictate that.
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: blue_or_die on June 29, 2015, 08:34:03 PM
So does this make Richards an FA? Any guesses from folks who picks him up and how much money he makes?

IMO might be a good pickup for a contender looking to bust through. Would give some size to Montreal's so-so offense. Maybe NYR? I wonder what he's willing to play for, but then again there will be no shortage of teams interested, so the market will dictate that.

He's a free agent. I have no idea what happens to him now, though. I think any team interested knows the risks involved. And whatever happens, he'll be making peanuts compared to what he had been making.

Speaking of free agents, who else is stoked for July 1? Canada Day celebrations aside, it's always fun to see who ends up where.

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-s-top-unrestricted-free-agents-1.316769

Mike Reilly should be off the list. He signed with the Wild on the 26th, IIRC.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_or_die

Pretty juicy list. Hard to think any of these would be interesting to Chevy (for the price most would cost), and if any would want to play here.
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: blue_or_die on June 29, 2015, 08:46:21 PM
Pretty juicy list. Hard to think any of these would be interesting to Chevy (for the price most would cost), and if any would want to play here.

Frolik's been getting a lost of interest. I fail to see how the Jets keep him.

I would like to see Stafford return, though. As for the others, I haven't the slightest clue.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Colton

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 29, 2015, 08:41:11 PM
He's a free agent. I have no idea what happens to him now, though. I think any team interested knows the risks involved. And whatever happens, he'll be making peanuts compared to what he had been making.

Speaking of free agents, who else is stoked for July 1? Canada Day celebrations aside, it's always fun to see who ends up where.

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-s-top-unrestricted-free-agents-1.316769

Mike Reilly should be off the list. He signed with the Wild on the 26th, IIRC.

I'm usually glued to a screen on July 1st, but I don't even think I'll be tuning in this year. Not many names I have even slight interest in.

Also, Eff Ribeiro, Can't believe he is listed as a top 5 free agent.

PloenFan

There are a few decent scorers on this list.
Hopefully the Jets had some salary cap room to sign a few.

theaardvark

The whole Richards thing is crazy.  But I can understand it, a great use of "the rules".

Here's the question.  They void his contract, and take 1.35mil/yr in cap hit.  He sues in civil court, and wins (because they've set a precident with other teammates with criminal charges not being canned).  He either settles for 1/2 up front, or gets a judgement for payment of his contract in full, LA appeals and settles out of court for 1/2. 

Does that 1/2 become cap hit?  Or do they sidestep the cap because it is a civil court payment? 

If Richards takes this "buyout", does the NHLPA still launch a grievance?  Can they without his participation?  To protect the rest of their players?

SMS cap for haves and have nots makes this kinda thing a lawyers wet dream.   Toronto eating Horton's non-SMS contract last year is opening up all kinds of creative SMS / budget possibilities between those flush with cash they can't spend on players, and those with hard budget concerns and SMS floor player budgets.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Colton

Quote from: theaardvark on June 30, 2015, 03:28:05 PM
The whole Richards thing is crazy.  But I can understand it, a great use of "the rules".

Here's the question.  They void his contract, and take 1.35mil/yr in cap hit.  He sues in civil court, and wins (because they've set a precident with other teammates with criminal charges not being canned).  He either settles for 1/2 up front, or gets a judgement for payment of his contract in full, LA appeals and settles out of court for 1/2. 

Does that 1/2 become cap hit?  Or do they sidestep the cap because it is a civil court payment? 

If Richards takes this "buyout", does the NHLPA still launch a grievance?  Can they without his participation?  To protect the rest of their players?

SMS cap for haves and have nots makes this kinda thing a lawyers wet dream.   Toronto eating Horton's non-SMS contract last year is opening up all kinds of creative SMS / budget possibilities between those flush with cash they can't spend on players, and those with hard budget concerns and SMS floor player budgets.

If it was considered to be wrongful termination I would expect the Kings to get hit with some cap circumvention penalties a la NJ with Kovalchuk.

blue_gold_84

Apparently, the rumour regarding an incident at a border crossing is pretty accurate. Pierre McGuire reported on this yesterday and CBC just released this:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/mike-richards-part-of-rcmp-investigation-report-1.3133350

This sounds pretty serious.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Colton

I hate being a Sharks fan so much right now.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Colton on June 30, 2015, 05:05:16 PM
I hate being a Sharks fan so much right now.

Could be a Bruins fan. ;)

Jones goes from one coast to the other... And back to the other coast.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Colton

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 30, 2015, 05:06:18 PM
Could be a Bruins fan. ;)

Jones goes from one coast to the other... And back to the other coast.

I'll take Don Sweeney right now, he just turned Wilson's absolute stupidity into Milan Lucic for 2 firsts.

theaardvark

Quote from: Colton on June 30, 2015, 05:09:16 PM
I'll take Don Sweeney right now, he just turned Wilson's absolute stupidity into Milan Lucic for 2 firsts.

Gotta love Carlo...

carlo todaro ‏@juventus777JETS
Don Sweeney : " We are not trading Tukka Rask " Tukka Rask : FML #Bruins #NHL

carlo todaro ‏@juventus777JETS
The #Raptors have traded Luke Ridnour to the Boston Bruins for Patrice Bergeron ! Sweeney : We needed some size #NHL #Bruins #Raptors
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Colton on June 30, 2015, 05:09:16 PM

Yeah, that was pretty clever. I'm still not sure what to think of letting Hamilton go and picking up Rinaldo.

And how about Hextall getting rid of Pronger and Grossman for Gagner...? Crazy.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Colton

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 30, 2015, 05:54:39 PM
Yeah, that was pretty clever. I'm still not sure what to think of letting Hamilton go and picking up Rinaldo.

And how about Hextall getting rid of Pronger and Grossman for Gagner...? Crazy.

Sweeney is still pretty bad, We just seem to have it worse at times and definitely got swindled by him here.

I'm not a big fan of the Coyotes acquiring Pronger's contract. I agree with the sentiment that it's borderline cap circumvention and definitely agree with the sentiment of Coyotes fans pissed off that the organization would rather do something like this just to save money than actually attempt to field a competitive hockey team.

QuoteThis kind of blatant cap floor circumvention is faaar more offensive to me than cap circumvention a la (kovalchuk) - I'd rather see a team push the rules to try and WIN than to try and lose.