NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockitch

not a big Oiler fan "yet" but I would suggest they might land a good to very good goalie in the Ranger's Talbot if they moved Draisaitl.
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

BomberPride

what's more important for the leafs right now... Draft or trade?
What is more gentle than water, yet who can control the raging flood?

Rhapsody in Blue

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 24, 2015, 04:05:11 PM
How ridiculous.

If anything it should reduce the number of shoot-outs which should make some happy.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Rhapsody in Blue on June 24, 2015, 08:22:27 PM
If anything it should reduce the number of shoot-outs which should make some happy.

That remains to be seen, IMO. 4-on-4 OT didn't solve much, so I remain skeptical getting rid of two more players on the ice will make a difference.

5 mins. of 4-on-4 and 5 mins. of 3-on-3. If the game ends with a tie, award each team a point and be done with it.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

BomberPride

Personally, I think we should go back to the sudden death OT. I hate losing on shoot-outs.

blue_or_die

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 24, 2015, 08:37:23 PM
That remains to be seen, IMO. 4-on-4 OT didn't solve much, so I remain skeptical getting rid of two more players on the ice will make a difference.

5 mins. of 4-on-4 and 5 mins. of 3-on-3. If the game ends with a tie, award each team a point and be done with it.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/nhlpa-earns-a-win-for-3-on-3-ot-change-1.316355

Apparently they experimented with these new rules and it solved 75% of post-regulation vs. 35% using the traditional rules. If that translates to the NHL level, that's a dramatic improvement! Anything to eliminate shoot outs. They're fun to watch when you're on the winning side only!
#Ride?

Colton

I'm not sure I understand the logic of trying to eliminate a "gimmick" in the form of a shootout, by changing the five minutes before they get there into another gimmick.

I'll wait until I see it in action before I decide if I like the change or not though.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_or_die

Quote from: Colton on June 25, 2015, 02:22:07 PM
I'm not sure I understand the logic of trying to eliminate a "gimmick" in the form of a shootout, by changing the five minutes before they get there into another gimmick.

I'll wait until I see it in action before I decide if I like the change or not though.

Well, at least 3-on-3 is still hockey. That must be the logic.
#Ride?

Colton

Quote from: blue_or_die on June 25, 2015, 06:13:44 PM
Well, at least 3-on-3 is still hockey. That must be the logic.

I have a hard time considered 3 on 3 legitimate hockey. The situations in which this occur in regulation are extremely few and far between. At the very least 4 on 4 and breakaways are routine situations in regulation.

blue_or_die

Quote from: Colton on June 25, 2015, 06:29:41 PM
I have a hard time considered 3 on 3 legitimate hockey. The situations in which this occur in regulation are extremely few and far between. At the very least 4 on 4 and breakaways are routine situations in regulation.

lol ya it's definitely not legitimate, just more so than a skills competition. This is a "choosing the lesser of two evils" situation.
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Colton on June 25, 2015, 06:29:41 PM

This. 3-on-3 hockey is strange to me. Sure, it opens up more ice but is it going be exciting to watch as a fan? I'm not so sure.

Quote from: blue_or_die on June 25, 2015, 08:37:59 PM
This is a "choosing the lesser of two evils" situation.

Seems to be the case. The fact there is still a shootout creams my corn, though.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

BomberPride

Lehner traded to Buffalo for Legwand.

blue_or_die

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 25, 2015, 08:54:57 PM
This. 3-on-3 hockey is strange to me. Sure, it opens up more ice but is it going be exciting to watch as a fan? I'm not so sure.

With more open ice it makes room for breakaways and the skill players to do what they don't get to do as often when they're shut down. This should lead to quicker goals and therefore avoid the shootout. Remains to be seen if this will work but I think it will be fun to watch. Worked in the A.
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.