NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Of course it is a daunting 4 or 5 year task.  And both the Leaf's owners and management have committed to that.

So, as a GM, you want a 5 year guaranteed deal.

Coach isn't as important as a GM now, getting a guy like Nolan might be a good stopgap. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on April 13, 2015, 08:31:04 PM
Of course it is a daunting 4 or 5 year task.  And both the Leaf's owners and management have committed to that.

So, as a GM, you want a 5 year guaranteed deal.

Coach isn't as important as a GM now, getting a guy like Nolan might be a good stopgap. 

Nonsense. By that logic, Murray wouldn't have fired Nolan in Buffalo. Coaching is just as important as management.

Look what a coaching change did for teams like the Predators, the Capitals, the Canucks, and the Jets.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_or_die

I think he means that given the Leaf's situation, the best coach in the world couldn't make a winner with the crap they have. They need a GM to get good players in first before the coaching factor can make a big difference. The teams you listed are certainly good examples of where a coaching change was positive, but the rosters were better than the previous coaches were able to get outta them. A Nolan would definitely be a good start though I think, but they need to concentrate on bringing in the right guys into the rebuild first.

As GM in TO, not a task just anyone would take, but some good people out there enjoy the challenge (and pay cheque TO can offer). Still a tough sell and not just any great GM would jump at that opportunity lol.
#Ride?

New_Earth_Mud

I have a funny feeling TO will hire a up n coming GM. An Asst GM out of somewhere.
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

Nic16

The Leafs have spent $ foolishly in FA, strapped themselves with some bad contracts that are difficult to move and drafted poorly for far too long. This is not an easy fix.

theaardvark

Quote from: Nic16 on April 13, 2015, 10:12:01 PM
The Leafs have spent $ foolishly in FA, strapped themselves with some bad contracts that are difficult to move and drafted poorly for far too long. This is not an easy fix.

Not easy, that's why they need a good GM.  Contracts go away in time.  Waiver wire is easier for crappy teams.  And UFA/RFA offer sheets are a good tool, used wisely.

The Jets are a prime example of a team that has too much in the pantry.  We have too many good prospects, and too many good players under contract.  I'd be surprised to see any of our UFA's back next year.  Toronto can cobble together a nice team from spare parts like that, and start the rebuild.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: theaardvark on April 13, 2015, 11:08:26 PM
Not easy, that's why they need a good GM.  Contracts go away in time.  Waiver wire is easier for crappy teams.  And UFA/RFA offer sheets are a good tool, used wisely.

The Jets are a prime example of a team that has too much in the pantry.  We have too many good prospects, and too many good players under contract.  I'd be surprised to see any of our UFA's back next year.  Toronto can cobble together a nice team from spare parts like that, and start the rebuild.

Guys on TSN were just saying its not likely they hire a big name GM. Shanny will be calling the shots to the rebuild. They dont want a guy to come in and start calling the shots.

Like i said before... they will bring in an Asst GM from another team to kinda groom him.

theaardvark

Wow, Dutch and Odog tjhink the Jets beat the Ducks, the panel had it as a pick 'em, and Dutch chimes in and breaks the tie backing the Jets...

Awesome...

Nic16

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on April 13, 2015, 11:37:35 PM
Guys on TSN were just saying its not likely they hire a big name GM. Shanny will be calling the shots to the rebuild. They dont want a guy to come in and start calling the shots.

Like i said before... they will bring in an Asst GM from another team to kinda groom him.

That's probably the best decision. Shanny was brought in to evaluate and then design an action plan to right a ship that is/was horribly off course. The from the ground up rebuild officially began at the TD and it will take a few years before they start to see any measureable results.

theaardvark

The time to get a quality GM in there is *now*.  Look what Chevy has done in the time he has been at the reins.  Bring in another Nonis, and you'll end up with Edmonton, years of first overall picks, and still miss the playoffs.  No playoffs since 2006, one 40 win season in that time.  They cannot have a Tambellini rebuild.

They need a big gun GM.  And they need him now.

Hopefully, Shanahan doesn't get a good GM and we get to revel in the Leaf's misery until 2067.  They can celebrate the 100th anniversary of the last cup win by winning their next one...

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: theaardvark on April 14, 2015, 04:55:11 AM
The time to get a quality GM in there is *now*.  Look what Chevy has done in the time he has been at the reins.  Bring in another Nonis, and you'll end up with Edmonton, years of first overall picks, and still miss the playoffs.  No playoffs since 2006, one 40 win season in that time.  They cannot have a Tambellini rebuild.

Hopefully, Shanahan doesn't get a good GM and we get to revel in the Leaf's misery until 2067.  They can celebrate the 100th anniversary of the last cup win by winning their next one...

I doubt any big name GM will want to go there if Shanny and his 2 buddys are calling the shots.

And you can bet the farm Shanny will be calling the shots.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on April 13, 2015, 11:08:26 PM

Maybe you should apply for the job. LOL :D

The Jets are a prime example of a team that has done things right. Your suggestion that too much in the pantry is a problem is absurd.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 14, 2015, 01:26:19 PM
Maybe you should apply for the job. LOL :D

The Jets are a prime example of a team that has done things right. Your suggestion that too much in the pantry is a problem is absurd.

Too much in the pantry is the best kind of problem you can have.  It is a "problem" caused by our success in drafting and trading.  Choosing which players to dispense of is a lot better position to be in than scraping the bottom of the other teams barrels to fill your roster.  Its going to be a while before we have to look for a UFA that wasn't already playing here to fill a hole in the offseason. 

If Shanahan is going to call the shots, he should take the position and hire an asst GM in training to do the scutwork.  No GM worth his salt will come in if Shanny is going to meddle. 

Colton

Quote from: theaardvark on April 14, 2015, 04:55:11 AM

So your response to two people who were discussing that they should bring in an assistant GM from a team and groom him, is that they shouldn't do that, they should hire a big name GM like Chevy?

When Chevy was brought in here his experience in the NHL was a total of 2 years as an assistant GM of the Hawks. The Jets did exactly what Mud and Nic were discussing.

Bringing a big name GM into the Leafs organization right now sounds like a horrible decision.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on April 14, 2015, 02:08:56 PM
Too much in the pantry is the best kind of problem you can have.  It is a "problem" caused by our success in drafting and trading.  Choosing which players to dispense of is a lot better position to be in than scraping the bottom of the other teams barrels to fill your roster.  Its going to be a while before we have to look for a UFA that wasn't already playing here to fill a hole in the offseason. 

If Shanahan is going to call the shots, he should take the position and hire an asst GM in training to do the scutwork.  No GM worth his salt will come in if Shanny is going to meddle. 

Except it isn't a problem. Having a solid roster and a healthy prospect pipeline gives the Jets a significant advantage. They can retain key pieces while shedding ineffective/aging pieces and replacing them with younger ones. Prospects who need time to develop can do so in the AHL. An embarrassment of riches is never a problem in today's NHL. Can this be said about the Maple Leafs right now? Hell no.

And it isn't about meddling. Shanahan was brought in to oversee the process. That doesn't mean he should appoint himself GM, though. Take a look at what Linden did in Vancouver. I think that's the kind of model Shanahan now hopes to emulate with the Maple Leafs. Hiring a big name GM and/or coach really goes against that.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.