NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Ziggy66 on May 21, 2014, 07:55:29 PM
While I doubt that they would of won more cups. Their games would of been lower scoring. Fluery is a terrible post season goalie but a just above average regular season goalie. Not sure what his issue is.
Miller would improve the penguins, but realistically by not by much as Fluery had his best playoff performance since the 07-08 season.  Miller has been better playoff performer with a horrible sabers franchise. This season was his worst playoff perormance to date. maybe he is just regressing due to age? But regardless Miller would have made the penguins a bit better but that time has come and gone.

That's speculative at best. Miller wasn't exactly lights out with the Blues, even though that team having a much better defense than the Sabres.

Besides, it's win as a team, lose as a team. The Penguins have done Fleury no favours in recent years in the playoffs, anyway. They're not exactly built for the post-season, as indicated by their numbers as a whole.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Ziggy66

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 21, 2014, 08:03:57 PM
That's speculative at best. Miller wasn't exactly lights out with the Blues, even though that team having a much better defense than the Sabres.

Besides, it's win as a team, lose as a team. The Penguins have done Fleury no favours in recent years in the playoffs, anyway. They're not exactly built for the post-season, as indicated by their numbers as a whole.

exactly. he had his worst playoff performance to date with the blues. At best the numbers and track record of Miller projects that he would do much better than Fluery with the Penguins*** as the Sabers have been less of an offensive force than the penguins but probably on par defensively. This is known khaleesi.

Fluery is just a bad playoff performer

*** playoffs on my mind

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Ziggy66 on May 21, 2014, 08:11:50 PM
Fluery is just a bad playoff performer

And the Pens are bad playoff performers as a whole. He's the type of goalie who performs better when his does. But he isn't the only goalie like that.

And he still helped win his team a Stanley Cup. Not exactly a fluke, that.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Ziggy66

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 21, 2014, 08:34:20 PM
And the Pens are bad playoff performers as a whole. He's the type of goalie who performs better when his does. But he isn't the only goalie like that.

And he still helped win his team a Stanley Cup. Not exactly a fluke, that.

He was good on the cup run, that is for sure but Malkin and Crosby had a dominating performance which negated the amount of goals he let in. 

Average goalies can be a gift or a curse if the offense isnt clicking. If we can get an average goalie on the Jets we are playoff bound :D

Rhapsody in Blue

Fleury's GAA during the playoffs was 2.40.

AngryGreg

im betting Fleury remains on the team anyways
DONT RUSH ME!! IM ON BLUE BOMBER TIME!!!

BlueWonder

Pittsbrugh would want to much in return for Fleury
Go Bombers!

AngryGreg

they might try to sign a guy like Hiller to light a fire under his butt

AngryGreg

Pens may be pursuing Pierre McGuire for GM...very hockey smart...and very annoying

AngryGreg

sounds as though Miller wont be heading out west....the sharks and ducks have both said they arent interested in his services, and of course LA is out of the question....Phoenix might be his best chance

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: AngryGreg on May 22, 2014, 12:26:50 AM
sounds as though Miller wont be heading out west....the sharks and ducks have both said they arent interested in his services, and of course LA is out of the question....Phoenix might be his best chance

Maybe the nucks.
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

AngryGreg

Rhapsody in Blue

Quote from: AngryGreg on May 22, 2014, 12:26:50 AM

But could the Sharks and Ducks be saying that because Miller isn't an UFA yet and it would be tampering to say they are?

Rhapsody in Blue

From TSN:

VANCOUVER -- The Vancouver Canucks have named Jim Benning as their new general manager.

Benning is the first significant hire made by new Canucks president of hockey operations Trevor Linden, who was handed the franchise's reigns after the team missed the playoffs for the first time in six years following a disastrous 2013-14 campaign.

Benning spent the last eight seasons with the Boston Bruins, including seven as the club's assistant general manager.

A former Canucks defenceman during his playing days, the 51-year-old Benning is the 11th general manager in franchise history -- a post he has never held with an NHL club.

The Edmonton native replaces Mike Gillis, who was fired as Vancouver's president and general manager a day after the club was eliminated from playoff contention with three games left in the regular season.

Benning's first order of business with the Canucks will be to hire a new head coach after Linden axed John Tortorella earlier this month following one tumultuous campaign.

Benning will also have to prepare for next month's NHL draft and assess a roster that Tortorella accused of being "stale" at his end-of-season press conference.

Apart from helping to shape a Bruins team that defeated the Canucks in the 2011 Stanley Cup final, Benning's managerial resume also includes 12 seasons with Buffalo Sabres, with eight of those spent as that club's director of amateur scouting.

Selected sixth overall by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 1981 NHL draft, Benning played nine seasons with Toronto and Vancouver, collecting 52 goals and 191 assists in 610 career games.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=452733

AngryGreg

Quote from: Rhapsody in Blue on May 22, 2014, 02:17:04 AM
But could the Sharks and Ducks be saying that because Miller isn't an UFA yet and it would be tampering to say they are?

i dont think so.....but neither team specifically used Miller's name...i think the quote from SJ was that they were not looking to add any veterans and want to continue to rebuild through youth....another source said the Ducks were planning on going with there two youngsters next season.....these of course are just sources, so who knows...rumors and such will start to really ramp up in the next couple of weeks