NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galeforce

More fuel for the Kessel fire.  :D

(The fact that there's 296+ comments says a lot too  :D )

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/kelly-trading-phil-kessel-is-the-key-to-a-maple-leafs-rebuild/article22324810/

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

theaardvark

Air Canada @AirCanada 
Agreed > Kelly: Trading Phil Kessel is the key to the overdue rebuild of Maple Leafs fw.to/A6r9U2V

Great response from Turner...

randy turner ‏@randyturner15
I would never question @AirCanada's approval of the #Leafs trading Phil Kessel. These people are experts at making baggage disappear.

Love the retraction:

Air Canada @AirCanada 
Sorry for our earlier mistweet #ACHeartsKessel #SomeOfUsAreHabsFans Veuillez nous excuser pour l'erreur commise un peu plus t?t aujourd'hui
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Really...? Trading away one star forward with defensive issues and who's perhaps a coach killer is all that ails the Maple Leafs from being a better team...?

::)
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

New_Earth_Mud

#35.... The Godfather of Swag

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on January 08, 2015, 12:08:37 AM
Really...? Trading away one star forward with defensive issues and who's perhaps a coach killer is all that ails the Maple Leafs from being a better team...?

::)

I think that his trade value is pretty low right now, but if they could get any value for him, it would be a huge step to changing the culture.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

Toronto and the jersey issue is bugging me. 

Throwing anything on the ice during play should be harshly punished, its a player safety thing.  No question about that.

But, throwing a jersey on the ice in protest and disappointment, when it does not endanger players, seems to me to be a valid protest.  Yes, fans should celebrate their teams, but they should also be able to protest them.  Invoking a one year ban on "fans" that throw jersey's on the ice is kinda funny, though.  Might actually be doing the fan a favor, saving him from buying tickets to watch a horrible team.

It is a sad thing when a team sinks to this level of fan appreciation.   It hasn't been for a lack of spending, or a lack of effort to try and get better.  Its just a frustrating failure of their efforts.  And you can see it in the team, and their play.  Usually a coaching change brings new wind into a teams sails.  Not so in Toronto. 

They need a change of culture.  A big trade or a wholesale change of the lines, something needs to be done, and quick.  Maybe even as much as Shannahan firing Nonis and taking over.   But to keep on this path, well...

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on January 21, 2015, 06:13:57 PM
Toronto and the jersey issue is bugging me. 

Throwing anything on the ice during play should be harshly punished, its a player safety thing.  No question about that.

But, throwing a jersey on the ice in protest and disappointment, when it does not endanger players, seems to me to be a valid protest.  Yes, fans should celebrate their teams, but they should also be able to protest them.  Invoking a one year ban on "fans" that throw jersey's on the ice is kinda funny, though.  Might actually be doing the fan a favor, saving him from buying tickets to watch a horrible team.

It is a sad thing when a team sinks to this level of fan appreciation.   It hasn't been for a lack of spending, or a lack of effort to try and get better.  Its just a frustrating failure of their efforts.  And you can see it in the team, and their play.  Usually a coaching change brings new wind into a teams sails.  Not so in Toronto. 

They need a change of culture.  A big trade or a wholesale change of the lines, something needs to be done, and quick.  Maybe even as much as Shannahan firing Nonis and taking over.   But to keep on this path, well...

Is this a thing?

I completely agree with your take on it though. If the ice is clear of players/officials, throwing your jersey is a valid protest.

Not one I would do, as I think it's dumb to throw money away like that, and I'm not one to really boo my team, but people certainly have the right to do it as long as it's not a safety issue.
My wife is amazing!

Rhapsody in Blue

Quote from: Jesse on January 21, 2015, 08:34:03 PM
I completely agree with your take on it though. If the ice is clear of players/officials, throwing your jersey is a valid protest.

The ice wasn't clear of players/officials when the jerseys were thrown. During the Carolina game, jerseys were thrown on the ice 4 times - twice was play was still going on. During the Nashville game, a jersey was thrown while play was on as well.

Quote from: theaardvark on January 21, 2015, 06:13:57 PM

It is more than a 1 year ban from Leafs games - they are banned from any property owned by MLSE (ACC for Leafs and Raptors, BMO Field for Toronto FC and Maple Leaf Square). And if the "fans" who were banned were season ticket holders of any of those teams they won't find it funny.

New_Earth_Mud

@SportsCentre
JUST IN: @LAKings place centre Mike Richards on waivers.

theaardvark

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on January 26, 2015, 04:21:17 PM
@SportsCentre
JUST IN: @LAKings place centre Mike Richards on waivers.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Richards has $5.75M cap hit for 5 seasons after this one. He's being paid $7M this season, $6M, $5.5M, $4.5M, $3M and $3M in remaining yrs.

Zero cost in players, but cap room...  I wonder how much of his salary teams wanted LA to eat in trade talks. 

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: theaardvark on January 26, 2015, 04:38:50 PM

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Richards has $5.75M cap hit for 5 seasons after this one. He's being paid $7M this season, $6M, $5.5M, $4.5M, $3M and $3M in remaining yrs.

Zero cost in players, but cap room...  I wonder how much of his salary teams wanted LA to eat in trade talks. 

Id have to think atleast half

Colton

Not surprising. I have no idea what happened to this guy, one of the biggest drop offs I've seen in some time.