NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd

Quote from: J5V on June 25, 2024, 03:48:35 AMFunny. I wanted to barf.
Why?? I thought it was a huge amount of respect shown for the jets fan base that in his moment of euphoria he mentions the jets, he didn't have to do it, but he did anyways. I thought that that showed he wanted to win a cup for us but couldn't and wished we d win the next one. Not for the panthers to repeat, he wanted Winnipeg to win the next one. Won't happen but it was sincere

Jockitch

Panthers win with such a great defensive job on McDavid and his entourage

Maurice continues to be a classy man, who, with his staff, certainly got the best out of his soldiers

His "bonus" mention of a wish for the Jets, was so very kind
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

J5V

Quote from: dd on June 25, 2024, 06:44:48 PMWhy?? I thought it was a huge amount of respect shown for the jets fan base that in his moment of euphoria he mentions the jets, he didn't have to do it, but he did anyways. I thought that that showed he wanted to win a cup for us but couldn't and wished we d win the next one. Not for the panthers to repeat, he wanted Winnipeg to win the next one. Won't happen but it was sincere
If you're happy praising him, fine. Personally, I'm glad Maurice is gone from the Peg and the Jets and frankly I don't ever want to hear him mention the Jets again. When we do win a cup I don't want him associated with the Jets in any way, shape, or form. I much prefer coaches that see the job through until the end and don't bail for greener pastures elsewhere. Best scenario for me would be the Jets beating a team that he coaches for the cup. For this Jets fan, the day he walked out on this team is the day he became the enemy. His comments about the Jets made me want to vomit.
Go Bombers!

dd

Quote from: J5V on June 26, 2024, 12:47:11 AMIf you're happy praising him, fine. Personally, I'm glad Maurice is gone from the Peg and the Jets and frankly I don't ever want to hear him mention the Jets again. When we do win a cup I don't want him associated with the Jets in any way, shape, or form. I much prefer coaches that see the job through until the end and don't bail for greener pastures elsewhere. Best scenario for me would be the Jets beating a team that he coaches for the cup. For this Jets fan, the day he walked out on this team is the day he became the enemy. His comments about the Jets made me want to vomit.
Well go barf then. He left the jets as he said he couldn't take them any further that they needed someone else delivering the message to them. He could have just rode it out and collected his cheque but he was honest and up front, rare traits in today's game. I interpreted his resignation as he wasn't getting the players he needed to be competitive so he said fine Chevy it's your show I'm done. And he was right. Maurice wasn't the problem for the Jets, talent was. Still it. And you're dreaming if you think the jets are winning a cup anytime soon, half their lineup should be in the AHL.

J5V

Quote from: dd on June 26, 2024, 01:12:16 AMWell go barf then.

LOL. I already have, figuratively.

Quote from: dd on June 26, 2024, 01:12:16 AMHe left the jets as he said he couldn't take them any further that they needed someone else delivering the message to them. He could have just rode it out and collected his cheque but he was honest and up front, rare traits in today's game. I interpreted his resignation as he wasn't getting the players he needed to be competitive so he said fine Chevy it's your show I'm done. And he was right. Maurice wasn't the problem for the Jets, talent was. Still it.

I know that's the story we got from the media. How believable it is obviously differs between us. I think the truth is a lot closer to Maurice didn't want to put in the time and work necessary to bring this team along so he bailed. Nothing necessarily wrong with that and he obviously got what he wanted, a ready-made team that was ready to compete for the cup. Frame it any way you like, he quit on us.

Quote from: dd on June 26, 2024, 01:12:16 AMAnd you're dreaming if you think the jets are winning a cup anytime soon, half their lineup should be in the AHL.

Wow. A little down on the boys are you? Here's to hoping they win it all in my lifetime. Go Jets Go!
Go Bombers!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: dd on June 26, 2024, 01:12:16 AMhalf their lineup should be in the AHL.

What a woefully ignorant thing to say.

Quote from: J5V on June 26, 2024, 02:33:50 AMI think the truth is a lot closer to Maurice didn't want to put in the time and work necessary to bring this team along so he bailed.

Quite the baseless accusation here. What did Maurice do or say for you to come to such a conclusion?

Watch his exit presser from Dec. 2021. The words come directly from the horse's mouth, not the media.

link: https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/winnipeg-jets-head-coach-paul-maurice-resigns/
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

J5V

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 26, 2024, 01:34:26 PMQuite the baseless accusation here. What did Maurice do or say for you to come to such a conclusion?

Watch his exit presser from Dec. 2021. The words come directly from the horse's mouth, not the media.

link: https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/winnipeg-jets-head-coach-paul-maurice-resigns/
Thanks for the link. He says he doesn't have the same passion after the lockout year but I guess he found it again when he signed on with Florida. I find it odd that he shocks the Jets by leaving and then finds himself coaching the best team in the league a few months later. Doesn't pass the sniff test for me.
Go Bombers!

ModAdmin

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 26, 2024, 01:34:26 PMWhat a woefully ignorant thing to say.

Quite the baseless accusation here. What did Maurice do or say for you to come to such a conclusion?

Quote from: J5V on June 26, 2024, 10:51:52 PMThanks for the link. He says he doesn't have the same passion after the lockout year but I guess he found it again when he signed on with Florida. I find it odd that he shocks the Jets by leaving and then finds himself coaching the best team in the league a few months later. Doesn't pass the sniff test for me.

Maurice chose to leave the Jets because, in his assessment, his message was not reaching the players.  He apparently did what his conscience told him to do and what he thought was right for him AND the Jets.  Doesn't mean he completely lost his passion for the game and coaching. He clearly has some compassion and interest in the Jets and he didn't have to say what he said following the Panthers' SC victory.  Sounds like an honest and up-front guy to me.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

blue_gold_84

Quote from: J5V on June 26, 2024, 10:51:52 PMThanks for the link. He says he doesn't have the same passion after the lockout year but I guess he found it again when he signed on with Florida. I find it odd that he shocks the Jets by leaving and then finds himself coaching the best team in the league a few months later. Doesn't pass the sniff test for me.

Did he shock anyone by stepping down? I'd say no. The Jets got off to a shaky start in the 2021-22 season and there were rumours well before his resignation. It was also more than six months later that he took the job with the Panthers.

I can't say I understand your ire with him.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

J5V

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 27, 2024, 01:09:38 PMDid he shock anyone by stepping down? I'd say no. The Jets got off to a shaky start in the 2021-22 season and there were rumours well before his resignation. It was also more than six months later that he took the job with the Panthers.

I can't say I understand your ire with him.
When did he leave, December? It left a bad taste in my mouth. I like Rick Bowness but I honestly believe he was a downgrade from Maurice and it set our team back. The jury is out on Arneil and I hope he's at least as good as Maurice was but I just don't know. In a way we are still reeling from what Maurice did and the clock is ticking as our time with this core group of players that we've committed to is running out. Would we have done better with Maurice behind the bench in this recent playoffs? I believe so. Instead we got embarrassed. Just lots of things compounded since Maurice bailed on us. I think he knows that too.
Go Bombers!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: J5V on June 27, 2024, 10:45:46 PMWhen did he leave, December? It left a bad taste in my mouth. I like Rick Bowness but I honestly believe he was a downgrade from Maurice and it set our team back. The jury is out on Arneil and I hope he's at least as good as Maurice was but I just don't know. In a way we are still reeling from what Maurice did and the clock is ticking as our time with this core group of players that we've committed to is running out. Would we have done better with Maurice behind the bench in this recent playoffs? I believe so. Instead we got embarrassed. Just lots of things compounded since Maurice bailed on us. I think he knows that too.

You're putting too much on him, IMO. He resigned over 2.5 years ago and that entire coaching staff was gone save Flaherty. Bowness was brought in to reset things in the summer of 2022 to steer the team in a better direction. That happened over the past two seasons despite the poor showings in the playoffs. The team finished last season 4th overall in the entire league and was the best defensive team of the 2023-24 season. That success flies in the face of the claim that the team is "still reeling" because of Maurice's decision to resign. They were objectively better over the last two campaigns under Bowness - even with some bumps in the road along the way.

I would argue the core is just fine when you look at the Dubois trade, Wheeler's buyout, the extensions of Scheifele and Hellebuyck last fall, and now the extension of DeMelo. The moving parts of a roster are affected by far more than just a head coach, anyway. The GM bears arguably just as much responsibility, if not more.

I would also argue there is nothing to suggest the team would've fared better in the post-season had he stayed on. Outside of the 2017-18 run to the WCF, the team had very little post-season success in the ensuing years: bounced in the first round in 2018-19, bounced in the qualifying round in 2019-20, and then a second round sweep in 2020-21.

From what I can tell, the team's lack of playoff success over the past handful of years seems unchanged regardless of who's behind the bench. To me, that speaks to a lack of experience from a players' standpoint. This roster (and the core) has yet to figure out how to find that next gear to become a better playoff performer despite two coaching changes over the last three seasons or so.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.