NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

From what I can figure out, the "trade deadline" only applies to players moving teams AND being eligible for the playoffs. 

As Montreal is out of the playoffs anyway, if LA wanted to, no reason they can't trade PLD today to MTL, he just can't play for them this year.

Would you want to trade a serviceable piece before you start the playoffs?  Even if he's only your 4th line C at the moment?  Of course not.  But as soon as they are eliminated, and before 2024-25 starts, they can move him. 

Would MTL want him?  There's no denying his ability.  Will "home cooking" make a big change in his play?  They'd have to think so.

So, what does the trade look like?  PLD + a 2nd round pick, retaining $2.5mil/year of contract for a 3rd round pick?  Or does MTL have a spare piece with salary attached to dump back offsetting a few years of the retained salary?

Going into next season with PLD and his contract on the books means a world of issues for them. 

Although, in retrospect, a NMC can be waived, and I am sure PLD would do so to go home... right now, the Kings have that control, once the new contract year starts, PLD has all the control.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
What a wretched timeline.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!

Pigskin

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!

blue_or_die

Quote from: theaardvark on April 15, 2024, 08:19:48 PMFor all the Chevy hate out there (and there are good reasons going back to his Chicago days), he certainly made a Silk Purse out of a sow's ear here.  Liane is out of the league at the moment, PLD is on a 4th line, and we have Vilardi and Iafallo playing significant roles here, and Kupari to boot.

You're the only one still bringing up this "Chevy hate" from what I can tell...
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!

Pigskin

Watched the 3rd. period of the Coyotes and Oilers last night. Coyotes slap the Oilers in there final home game. Some talented young players on that team.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 18, 2024, 02:07:06 PMNHL, BOG to vote on Coyotes' sale, relocation today: https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/nhl-to-hold-3pm-et-board-call-on-coyotes-sale-1.2106116

"The Associated Press reported Saturday that the Coyotes will likely be sold to Utah Jazz owner Ryan Smith and the deal will include a provision guaranteeing current owner Alex Meruelo an expansion team in Arizona if a new arena is built within five years."

Bullcrap.  Meruelo messed up the franchise and the league for years, culminating with the embarrassing year in a 5,000 seat arena, should disqualify him from ever getting a franchise again, let alone an expansion team.

Want a team if you get a new arena?  Put that in your sale to Utah.  Have a right to rebuy the team (at a premium) if you get an arena in 5 years.  Its not like Utah is dying to have a hockey team.  This move is a "well, I guess so" add on of an NHL team to an NBA team... like the Flames buying the Stamps, but with the arena as an added bonus.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

1996 - Jets sold to Arizona for $170 mil

2019 - Yotes sod to Meurello for $425 million

2024 - Yotes roster and draft picks, but not name or history, sold to Utah for $1 billion.  Yotes name and history remain in limbo for 5 years in case Meurello can put together a stadium, at which time he can buy an expansion franchise for $1 billion from the NHL, making the league a ridiculous 33 teams. 

Anyone feel sorry for anyone who participated in the Arizona experiment?

1996-2019, they "lost" just over $200 million, but made $250mil selling the team.

2109-2024 the team "lost" less than $100 million on paper, but Meurello made half a billion on the "sale" of its assets. 

Not having a tag day anytime soon for these guys.

blue_gold_84

Fun opening weekend to the post-season.
#forthew
лава Україні!

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!

theaardvark

Pigskin

Lindy Ruff, back as head coach of the Buffalo Sabres.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Pigskin on April 23, 2024, 07:57:39 PMLindy Ruff, back as head coach of the Buffalo Sabres.

This timeline is wild.
#forthew
лава Україні!