NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Most boring trade deadline day ever... the guys on trade centre are bored to death... Prime Minister races, tshirt cannons.... yikes, this is sports programming?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

JMT21

Quote from: theaardvark on February 29, 2016, 05:21:22 PM
Most boring trade deadline day ever... the guys on trade centre are bored to death... Prime Minister races, tshirt cannons.... yikes, this is sports programming?

Agreed!  The whole TRADE CENTRE thing has become a joke.  Hyped up to nth degree season after season.  The whole show should last 90 minutes - 2 hours max. 

When did they start today?  7:00 am???    ::)

blue_gold_84

It's been like this for quite some time. And it isn't like TSN has much else to broadcast on a Monday, anyway.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

randy turner ‏@randyturner

At this point the insiders are just playing Clash of Clans on their phones. #TradeCentre

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

New_Earth_Mud

Last bunch of years things became different in the NHL and the way GMs do things. Chevy and a ton of GMs the last while have been saying they wont make trades just to trade ... it has to be a good hockey trade.

It seems we dont see many teams just swap players kinda thing. Most moves are done before the deadline and GMs are pretty set on prices for who ever before hand.
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

Old Rusty

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on February 29, 2016, 10:27:14 PM
Last bunch of years things became different in the NHL and the way GMs do things. Chevy and a ton of GMs the last while have been saying they wont make trades just to trade ... it has to be a good hockey trade.It seems we dont see many teams just swap players kinda thing. Most moves are done before the deadline and GMs are pretty set on prices for who ever before hand.

And.... rental player deals are suddenly labelled and spun as BLOCKBUSTER events, when in fact they are not.  Not even a little.  No real surprises. 

Edit: I note that Stempniak went to Boston from NJ for a 2nd and a 4th... I like this player.  He's getting "long in the tooth" at 33, and since 2001 has only played two full seasons - and when he did that showed that he could score ~ 24 goals or more.   

Calgary picked up Niklas Backstrom and a 6th rounder for David Jones to Minnesota. 
As you ramble on through life, Brother,
Whatever be your goal,
Keep your eye upon the doughnut,
And not upon the hole.

theaardvark

The Stempniak trade brought up an interesting point... the signing of a vet player to a one year deal can pay off more than just having him on the team...

KINGCHARLES

Quote from: JMT21 on February 29, 2016, 05:25:30 PM

Agreed!  The whole TRADE CENTRE thing has become a joke.  Hyped up to nth degree season after season.  The whole show should last 90 minutes - 2 hours max. 

When did they start today?  7:00 am???    ::)

hahahaha this one time like 9 years ago i called in sick to work to watch "Trade Centre"......fell asleep quickly woke up around 11:30 am and there was only like 2 or 3 trades that i missed and no one good was traded. I vowed that I would never do that again. I fully agree that it should only be a 90 min- 2 hrs max....Like the final 2 hours of deadline day.
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on March 02, 2016, 12:32:10 AM
The Stempniak trade brought up an interesting point... the signing of a vet player to a one year deal can pay off more than just having him on the team...

And he'll fit well on a team like the Bruins at this point in the season, much like he did last season on the Jets.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_or_die

Over the past two seasons I feel like Stempniak deserves a shake at being a regular player on a team where he fits rather than just being a rental. Solid contributor with vet presence. In that sense he reminds me of Frolik. He would do well for a team that was in its developing stages and could being in a 3rd line roll, leading young players and offering some consistent scoring (no I do not mean the Jets lol).

Really liked having Lee for a few months last year and he has continued to be solid for NJ and is definitely good in for a playoff run with the Bruins.
#Ride?

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: blue_or_die on March 02, 2016, 03:58:40 PM
Over the past two seasons I feel like Stempniak deserves a shake at being a regular player on a team where he fits rather than just being a rental. Solid contributor with vet presence. In that sense he reminds me of Frolik. He would do well for a team that was in its developing stages and could being in a 3rd line roll, leading young players and offering some consistent scoring (no I do not mean the Jets lol).

Really liked having Lee for a few months last year and he has continued to be solid for NJ and is definitely good in for a playoff run with the Bruins.
i agree should have signed him this year for sure for a number of reasons. I sure would rather have him in the line up than Peluso!

Old Rusty

Subban sure likes his spin-job escape moves.  He really walks the line between absolutely-brilliant-le-premiere-etoile and goat-man-dans-le-trou.
Whatever be your goal,
And not upon the hole.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Old Rusty on March 06, 2016, 04:56:40 AM
Subban sure likes his spin-job escape moves.  He really walks the line between absolutely-brilliant-le-premiere-etoile and goat-man-dans-le-trou.
glad he's not on our team. You'll never wins cup with a guy like that playing 30mins a game for ya.

Old Rusty

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on March 06, 2016, 02:23:43 PM
glad he's not on our team. You'll never wins cup with a guy like that playing 30mins a game for ya.

The crazy thing is that if he could control his play  -  bring out that cannon of a shot when needed -  forget the dipsy doodling and just go back to basics while still using his incredible skating ability - the guy would be a Norris shoo-in almost every year.
Whatever be your goal,
And not upon the hole.