Stamps at Lions GDT Fri 900PM CT

Started by gobombersgo, October 03, 2024, 08:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 05, 2024, 01:56:15 PMFor the first time in my memory, a bolded message appeared on the jumbotron prior to one of B.C.'s kick attempts telling fans that any ball caught following a field goal had to be returned or they would be prosecuted. I get that the team only has a finite number of balls for the game, but seriously? Talk about putting a damper on the game-day atmosphere.

...I think we know how they're trying to off-set the marketing dollars hahah. Who's bright idea was that?

Cost of those balls is $500 due to the $1.50 chip installed, most player remember not to throw them into the crowd least they be fined.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 05, 2024, 05:27:46 AMMichel has got to be out of the league next year.  He's stunk so bad since his NFL stint.  Another case of a promising guy being ruined by the NFL.

And this may be Maier's last game as #1 anywhere.  CGY should bring in 2 rookie nobodies and do try-outs for next year in their last 2 games.  He arguably never should have been a #1 in the first place.  A complete waste of 3 seasons by CGY.  They gambled, and lost.

I don't think so, can't throw the baby out with the dirty bathwater, Maier's inability to succeed may be environmental. He has enough going for him that even if the Stamps dumped him in the off-season he would be quickly picked up by another team.  I wouldn't mind seeing him in Wpg. as Zach's understudy, Maier would provide a more secure future than the current two backups and offer immediate improvement as a competent backup.  Head to head, he'd be a better investment than Streveler.

bwiser

I agree that the Bombers need a backup that we could throw in there for a couple games if necessary. Maier might be a decent option if his price was right.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: bwiser on October 05, 2024, 05:08:21 PMI agree that the Bombers need a backup that we could throw in there for a couple games if necessary. Maier might be a decent option if his price was right.

He might not come dirt cheap but he certainly can no longer demand starter's wages, he's treading in Shiltz territory now.  He may have to follow the footsteps of Trevor Harris and V.A. to redeem his career.

bunker

I think Maier could look alot better in a different setting. There's a huge difference between what he's surrounded by on Calgary's offense, and what he would have to work with here. I'd be happy with him as a number 2, but I think he would still be too expensive. I really liked what I saw of Davis Alexander, but its a small sample size and I''m not sure I would want to rely on him if Zach got injured.

theaardvark

There was a reason Maier made BLM expendable.  I think he could succeed elsewhere.  But who knows, Dickenson might not be the best at wearing too many hats. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on October 05, 2024, 06:37:58 PMThere was a reason Maier made BLM expendable.  I think he could succeed elsewhere.  But who knows, Dickenson might not be the best at wearing too many hats.

That's been well established, changes are coming in the off-season, no way they roll into 2025 with the status quo.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: theaardvark on October 05, 2024, 06:37:58 PMThere was a reason Maier made BLM expendable.  I think he could succeed elsewhere.  But who knows, Dickenson might not be the best at wearing too many hats. 

Dickenson is not Hufnagel. They have only been going backwards since he took on both roles. Something will have to change this offseason you would think, but I think Dickey Dee has enough goodwill with those in the executive suite to be given another year to turn things around. Every "dynasty" has a certain shelf life. Ask New England or the old Evil Empire Eskimos! ;) Dancy Danny Machoka ended the Esks 35 year playoff string about 10 years ago or so. A more happier day I can't remember! :)

dd

please, dickenson couldn't carry huffers jock strap to the field. The guys a wannabe who never will be, has driven the stamps to the state of embarrassment they're in. Dickie dee chose maker over blm and they've slid ever since. I would be showing both the door in the off season.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 05, 2024, 01:56:15 PMFor the first time in my memory, a bolded message appeared on the jumbotron prior to one of B.C.'s kick attempts telling fans that any ball caught following a field goal had to be returned or they would be prosecuted. I get that the team only has a finite number of balls for the game, but seriously? Talk about putting a damper on the game-day atmosphere.

I mentioned it in a WPG GDT: @PAS they were getting the balls back from fans but then handing them another ball or a gift bag or something (couldn't tell exactly).  I think trading the chip ball for a plain ball is a great idea.  The fan still gets to keep an official CFL ball, just like in pre-chip years.

Tyrell Ford handed an INT ball to his dad at yesterday's game... I guess $500 comes off his paycheck?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 05, 2024, 03:44:02 PMI don't think so, can't throw the baby out with the dirty bathwater, Maier's inability to succeed may be environmental. He has enough going for him that even if the Stamps dumped him in the off-season he would be quickly picked up by another team.  I wouldn't mind seeing him in Wpg. as Zach's understudy, Maier would provide a more secure future than the current two backups and offer immediate improvement as a competent backup.  Head to head, he'd be a better investment than Streveler.

My point is, and you basically agreed, Maier will not be a #1 again.  I guess he could understudy for 2-3 years and try again, but I doubt it will help.  And in any event, he won't be a #1 for those years and by then he'll start getting old.

Yes, he'd make a fine #2, on most any team, and should be cheap enough.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bunker on October 05, 2024, 06:05:27 PMI think Maier could look alot better in a different setting. There's a huge difference between what he's surrounded by on Calgary's offense

But when Maier started starting CGY was still considered "good".  Still made the playoffs reliably, still had many good players around him.  He may have an excuse to suck now, but what was his excuse in '22?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

You're letting BLM's recent revival cloud your memory of how bad BLM was when CGY fired him.  His arm was as bad as post-injury Nichols.  Like Brohm bad.  He was overthrowing or underthrowing every pass, and making bad reads to boot.

Remember BLM's first season in HAM?  It was horrible.  That was the real BLM at the time.  It's only this year BLM has found his mojo.

The point is it wasn't Maier being good or great, it was just him being better than a severely struggling BLM.
Never go full Rider!