Trade deadline - Oct 1st

Started by gobombersgo, September 24, 2024, 05:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunker

Quote from: J5V on October 02, 2024, 10:51:25 PMYes that's a fair comment however I believe the CFL record is a 63 yard FG by Paul McCallum kicked in the dome at BC Place.
McCallum kicked a 62 yarder when he was a Rider, at Taylor Field

Stats Junkie

Paul McCallum was originally credited with a 62 yard FG. In 2023, McCallum convinced his buddy Steve Daniel to re-evaluate the distance of the kick and it was adjusted to 63 yards because it was ruled that the ball was closer to 63 than 62.

My measurements put the front of the kicking tee closer to the 62 yard distance but my opinion doesn't count. I also disagree with changing any stats after the fact.

The longest FG at BC Place is officially scored as 56 yards by Richie Leone. The ball was placed 55 yards & 1 foot away and every media person in Vancouver listed it as a 55 yard FG that night.

Based on warmups I've seen of Sergio Castillo at BC Place, his range appears to be about 58-59 yards.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie

I am a Stats Junkie, a Rules Junkie & a Canadian Football History Junkie!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: J5V on October 02, 2024, 10:51:25 PMYes that's a fair comment however I believe the CFL record is a 63 yard FG by Paul McCallum kicked in the dome at BC Place.

Interesting, do you know if the dome was opened or closed at the time?

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 03, 2024, 12:04:07 AMInteresting, do you know if the dome was opened or closed at the time?

Read Stats Junkies comment. It didn't happen.
My wife is amazing!

J5V

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 03, 2024, 12:04:07 AMInteresting, do you know if the dome was opened or closed at the time?
Apologies. It was Paul McCallum but at Taylor Field not BC place. That's what I get for trusting an AI search engine.  ;-(

"BC Place CFL Longest Field Goal
According to the search results, Paul McCallum holds the record for the longest field goal made in the Canadian Football League (CFL) at 62 yards, achieved on October 27, 2001, during a game against the Edmonton Eskimos at Taylor Field (now known as Molson Stadium). Although BC Place is the home stadium of the BC Lions, the record mentioned above was set at a different venue.

There is no record of a 63-yard field goal made by Paul McCallum at BC Place, as stated in one of the search results. The 62-yard record remains the longest field goal made in the CFL, and it was achieved at a different stadium.

Note: BC Place does not have a specific record for the longest CFL field goal, as the 62-yard record mentioned above was set at a different venue."

Go Bombers!

J5V

Quote from: Stats Junkie on October 02, 2024, 11:41:41 PMThe longest FG at BC Place is officially scored as 56 yards by Richie Leone.
Many thanks for the correction.
Go Bombers!

J5V

Quote from: bunker on October 02, 2024, 11:07:12 PMMcCallum kicked a 62 yarder when he was a Rider, at Taylor Field
Yes, correct. My bad.
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Stats Junkie on October 02, 2024, 06:07:55 PMTo BC - Jeshrun Antwi
To Mtl - 3rd round pick (2025)

Deadline is 6pm ET

The announcement was on the 2nd with zero word (like here or 3down) on the 1st.  Was the deadline really the 2nd not the first?

As for Antwi, BC just bought the Antwi Antics trick play.  100% BC uses that trick in the post-season and we better be darn ready for it.  I want to see our SAM, WILL or DB just clobber him.  Hallett would be a great choice as he's so quick at closing the distance.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on October 02, 2024, 07:06:44 PMSo, BC gave away a third rounder... because they need to keep their first and second rounders to forfeit for going over the cap by a bundle ;)

Ok... here's a question then:

What happens if BC trades away their 1st and/or 2nd rounder and then lose them in 4 months for being over cap?

Seriously.

No matter what happens, they got the benefit of playing Antwi the rest of the season!

This is a serious flaw in the (very lax and lame) cap-overage penalties.  If I was BC, I'd trade my #1/#2 DPs away immediately for whatever pie in the sky player they want to save their season.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: bunker on October 02, 2024, 11:07:12 PMMcCallum kicked a 62 yarder when he was a Rider, at Taylor Field

Wind aided no doubt, likely 20-25 kph. With hurricane wind conditions at his back I wouldn't be surprised if Sergio could kick a 70 yd FG.

theaardvark

Long field goals do not rely on still air, but wind aid.  Medlock's miss from 60+ was because he changed his approach, taller tee and put more arch into it.  It was a technical flub more than anything to do with it being a dome.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Did BC pull a fast one sniping Antwi from the team they would face if they make the cup?  Like TOR grabbing Agudosi for no reason late last season...

Now they have the entire up-to-date MTL O playbook.  Convenient.

(Ya, many don't believe that happens, but why wouldn't a player spill the beans?  Especially if they feel slighted.)

Good thing we'll beat BC in the WDF, eh!  (If they even make it that far!)  The Antwi Antics won't save them, IMHO.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 04, 2024, 01:32:35 AMDid BC pull a fast one sniping Antwi from the team they would face if they make the cup?  Like TOR grabbing Agudosi for no reason late last season...

Now they have the entire up-to-date MTL O playbook.  Convenient.

(Ya, many don't believe that happens, but why wouldn't a player spill the beans?  Especially if they feel slighted.)

Good thing we'll beat BC in the WDF, eh!  (If they even make it that far!)  The Antwi Antics won't save them, IMHO.

It's the first thing any player does. The argument is that it doesn't matter much.
My wife is amazing!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 03, 2024, 06:38:13 AMOk... here's a question then:

What happens if BC trades away their 1st and/or 2nd rounder and then lose them in 4 months for being over cap?

Seriously.

No matter what happens, they got the benefit of playing Antwi the rest of the season!

This is a serious flaw in the (very lax and lame) cap-overage penalties.  If I was BC, I'd trade my #1/#2 DPs away immediately for whatever pie in the sky player they want to save their season.

Probably falls into the next season is my guess or some verbiage in the league rules that covers such a scenario. Then you've lost TWO YEARS IN A ROW two top picks in each draft....not a good idea! :) Refer to CRYDERS in 2013 putting all chips in to win that GC....then sucked for several years after that.  If it gets you a Cup I guess worth it, but if you want more consistency as a team to draw a season ticket base then not a great idea.

Trade deadline has already passed though, so don't even think you can do a futures trader at this point anyway. 

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ichabod_crane on October 05, 2024, 10:32:44 PMProbably falls into the next season is my guess or some verbiage in the league rules that covers such a scenario. Then you've lost TWO YEARS IN A ROW two top picks in each draft

Well, you didn't really "lose" the 1st year's top DPs, as you traded them for valuable league-leading players.  If they do like you say you still only lose 1 year's worth of DPs (or equivalent DP value).

I bet the league never even thought of this scenario and it's completely unknown what will happen.  Too bad BC didn't trade for a 1st or 2nd RDP before the deadline... then we could have found out!

Also, if you're in win-now to-heck-with-next-season mode, you may be willing to take 1 or 2 years down the road punishments.  Like Wimpy in Popeye: I'll gladly trade you league-top players now for punishment in 1.5 years!
Never go full Rider!