Report: Bombers to sign QBs Jake Dolegala & Bryan Scott

Started by Sir Blue and Gold, September 11, 2024, 10:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueInCgy

Reading Techno say "we have to be realistic " is pure comedy gold.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 13, 2024, 05:47:18 AMI'll take whatever you're smoking!  Dolegala was basically (trying to be PC here) lackluster in SSK and BC and absolutely no one in either fanbase was sad to see him leave.  The only game I remember him winning in SSK was the LDC, though I'm sure he had a couple more.

It's fine to be on record that you don't like a player for whatever reason. Just say you don't like him. No one will fault you for that. But facts are facts:

2023 Jake Dolegala - second year in CFL - 216 of 333 (64.8%), 2641 yards, 11 TDs, 9 INTs
2024 Dru Brown - fourth year in CFL - 230 of 340 (67.6%), 2881 yards, 11 TDs, 5 INTs

I think what Jake Dolegala did in his first chance to start was pretty good all things considered. Not saying he's the second coming of Danny Mac but certainly his numbers are in line with someone who could be good one day.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: J5V on September 12, 2024, 11:30:46 PMLike what I see here ...

Bryan Scott Highlites

Maybe this was filmed during Covid but there is literally nobody in the stand in what looks to be a very large stadium. With the struggles the CFL endures making money I don't see how professional football can be sustainable with zero attendance.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 13, 2024, 04:04:25 PMThere are zero fans watching whatever league this is, seems to be a large stadium with literally nobody in attendance.  Maybe
Maybe this was filmed during Covid but there is literally nobody in the stand in what looks to be a very large stadium. With the struggles the CFL endures making money I don't see how professional football can be sustainable with zero attendance.

In some of these leagues, the QB makes less than our ELC rooks.  And the TV deals would probably be as good on a game by game basis as the CFL...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on September 13, 2024, 01:38:35 PMIt's fine to be on record that you don't like a player for whatever reason. Just say you don't like him. No one will fault you for that. But facts are facts:

2023 Jake Dolegala - second year in CFL - 216 of 333 (64.8%), 2641 yards, 11 TDs, 9 INTs
2024 Dru Brown - fourth year in CFL - 230 of 340 (67.6%), 2881 yards, 11 TDs, 5 INTs

Now do wins.  SSK went into heavy downtrend after Trevor got injured and they were forced into Dolegala.  And did he win a single game in BC?  (Maybe 1?)

Yes, he got "Bonner'd": thrust into #1 role prematurely.  Yes, he may get better with time.  Yes, in another 2 years he could be as good as Dru.

None of that matters: what we are trying to do right now is have .500 insurance in place if Zach gets hurt.  My only point is I don't think he'll achieve that.  And right now we don't care about anything more than wins, and a great playoff run.

And that's ok.  As a quick & easy stopgap measure, you could say he's perfect.  But we can't realistically expect him to win the cup for us should that need arise.  I fully expect that if Zach goes down we'll trade for a "real" QB before the deadline.  The key being the underlined part... If Zach goes down after that, we're kind of up the creek.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 13, 2024, 10:13:52 PMNow do wins.  SSK went into heavy downtrend after Trevor got injured and they were forced into Dolegala.  And did he win a single game in BC?  (Maybe 1?)

Yes, he got "Bonner'd": thrust into #1 role prematurely.  Yes, he may get better with time.  Yes, in another 2 years he could be as good as Dru.

None of that matters: what we are trying to do right now is have .500 insurance in place if Zach gets hurt.  My only point is I don't think he'll achieve that.  And right now we don't care about anything more than wins, and a great playoff run.

And that's ok.  As a quick & easy stopgap measure, you could say he's perfect.  But we can't realistically expect him to win the cup for us should that need arise.  I fully expect that if Zach goes down we'll trade for a "real" QB before the deadline.  The key being the underlined part... If Zach goes down after that, we're kind of up the creek.

One miracle trade in a life-time is all we get! No matter who the second string is, if Zach goes down it's on to next year.

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 13, 2024, 10:13:52 PMNow do wins.  SSK went into heavy downtrend after Trevor got injured and they were forced into Dolegala.  And did he win a single game in BC?  (Maybe 1?)

Do the wins? Your knock on him is he didn't win a lot of games?

Obviously he didn't. He would be the starting QB in Regina if he won a ton of games. Does that need to be pointed out?

Virtually every QB we could reasonably acquire right now is going to be either in their back 9 or young with potential that's hopefully unrealized. He has good enough numbers when compared to other young quarterbacks that he's got a shot. That's about as much proof as you're ever going to get.

DM83

Fellas...most of the. QBs that make a cfl roster are decent with great training . They all need an offensive line, unless they are name Doug Flutie.  The question is will a team be patient enough to bring out and develop his ability?  I don't think our offensive line could protect a pure pocket passer.  Either do a lot of most teams. The QB has to have escapeability

TBURGESS

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 13, 2024, 11:50:17 PMOne miracle trade in a life-time is all we get! No matter who the second string is, if Zach goes down it's on to next year.
Actually two in my lifetime. We traded Brock for Clements and went on to win the cup back in 83/84.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Jesse

Quote from: TBURGESS on September 14, 2024, 03:12:10 PMActually two in my lifetime. We traded Brock for Clements and went on to win the cup back in 83/84.

I wasn't born yet so it doesn't count, sorry.
My wife is amazing!