Slippery Turf

Started by TecnoGenius, September 08, 2024, 08:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

It been an issue all season, and it really reared its ugly head in the Banjo Bowl: players slipping on the turf.  I counted a lot of slips while I was @PAS, and even on TSN they captured like 7-10 of them.  Some of them defined the plays, especially SSK DBs slipping for our Rs to get open.

Remember the Kenny catch where both he and the DB slip at the same time, but Kenny manages to get back up for a few YAC.

Or the Hickson run where he gets to the LoS, tries to cut and just falls on his butt.

I don't care if the opponents are slipping  8) , but surely WFC should have the equipment / footwear optimized for this new turf by now?  Can we put staples on the bottoms or something?  :D  :D  :D

I'm surprised other teams aren't complaining.  I guess we are the only stadium with this brand new turf?  What's so special about it that is causing this?  I don't remember all this slipping when IGF first opened and the old turf was brand new.

I'm just curious if anyone is ever going to say anything about this, or do something about it.  Maybe it's just slippy as all heck and there's nothing more we can do with the footwear?  It just seems odd, as I'm sure this turf is some sort of American standard that is also used in the NFL?

Weird.
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

The only thing I noticed was that it had more cushion that the old one. Bombers like it I think. If opponents slip more than we do I think I'll be able to live with it.  ;D
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

ModAdmin

Quote from: Waffler on September 08, 2024, 03:07:24 PMThe only thing I noticed was that it had more cushion that the old one. Bombers like it I think. If opponents slip more than we do I think I'll be able to live with it.  ;D

You are correct.  The players do like the new turf over the old one.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Bluehawk

Had one team guy in the know tell me that it is definately softer than the old turf but traction is not like before.
I'd rather be a Bomber than a .....

Sir Blue and Gold

Haven't heard many complaints from players on either team and I'm sure someone would have mentioned it this many games in if it wasn't as expected.

DM83

Yeah I noticed a lot of slipping.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Bluehawk on September 08, 2024, 06:03:02 PMHad one team guy in the know tell me that it is definately softer than the old turf but traction is not like before.

makes sense, a more forgiving surface is going to be less firm and have more give to it.

TecnoGenius

Since our team practices on this turf most days, why can't our equipment guys find cleats that won't slip on it?

Find out what NFL stadiums are using it and call them to see what gear they decided on.  I doubt NFL teams will have guys sliding like a curling rink and losing games!
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

We've had some weather changes too.

Cold nights warm days. I'm sure there was some extra moisture on the turf.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on September 09, 2024, 02:08:46 AMWe've had some weather changes too.

Cold nights warm days. I'm sure there was some extra moisture on the turf.

Sure, but don't we have special rain cleats?  Snow cleats?  Isn't this all taken into account?  Or can CFL budgets not accommodate such extravagance?  ;D  ;D

What's it going to be like when we have an actual rain game?  Or when winter games arrive?
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Apparently the new field needs tie to "break in". 

Guessing the slippage happens on the less used areas that might still be a bit "shiny".  Or, they could be slick from other sources of moisture from previous plays.

Its a new turf, and the groundskeepers need time to get used to how to prep it.

The players should have figured out the best footwear by now, though.   
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.