PLayer safety

Started by Pete, August 25, 2024, 05:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: markf on August 26, 2024, 05:06:35 PMI am far from an expert, but my feeling is Nothing has changed, there have been several late hits on Zach this season, no penalty.

There were a lot of extra rules added to give the QB special status and protection, and not just in the pocket, but everywhere on the field.  QB now enjoys special and unique head protection anywhere.  And they do regularly enforce it.

But yes, in some ways, especially for non-QB players, protection doesn't seem to have improved, and their injury odds have possibly gotten worse lately.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on August 26, 2024, 05:47:25 PMAgree with Bombf the hits on recievers are becoming excessively violent,
I reiterate there needs to be an excessive force penalty, it borders on intent to injure when a player isnt in position to brace or defend himself and a tackler hits him full speed.
  The game has changed with the added athletiscm, the emphasis of safety and this also needs adjusted

This is the key discussion, I think.  Are Rs getting injured more than they used to?  If so, why is this?

Is it increased beef/talent/hostility of DBs/LBs?  Is it increased fragility of Rs?  Both?  Neither?

I suspect you may be correct that D players are "improving" at a faster pace than Rs.  And recent review guideline changes aren't helping to keep them "clean" and "honest".
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 26, 2024, 06:11:57 PMOne solution is to find more receivers like Manny, Nic Lewis and Bailey who can give back more than they receive.

Or Cottoy.  Did you see how many DBs had to hit and tear at him to bring him down?  Good stuff.  And to a lesser extent, McInnis.

Maybe Clercius can be like our Cottoy.  Not quite as big, but lots of beef and sinew.  Even with Woli back, unless the ratio allows it to be Lucky, I expect Clercius becomes our dressed backup R.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 26, 2024, 08:22:08 PMTrue enough but the CFL has to protect their assets, nobody buys a ticket to watch a DB play.

I do!   :D  :D  :D  :D

But I'm strange.  8)

Some of my favorite Bomber memories are DBs: Moe, Fogg, Heath, Randle, Taylor, Alford, Nichols, Houston.  We finally started winning under Mafia once our DB talent improved, not before.
Never go full Rider!