Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at BC August 18, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, August 17, 2024, 05:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on August 20, 2024, 02:56:54 AMFor some reason I don't think I've ever been as locked-in and captivated by the potential of a Bomber team as I am about this one. Let's go blue!

I far preferred the mega-beatdowns we laid on the West in 2021 & 2022!  Less heart attacks and maalox.

However, the harder paths always lead to the greater stories of glory.  Nothing will top 2019 because it was so darn hard.  2024 may have a crack at beating it, but it will have to end in epic fashion!
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

This team and Bomber teams of recent years have genuine respect for each other and the coaching staff in particular.  Respect to them means treating their teammates and coaches as valued friends who work together to be successful. Respect is often confused with compliance and obedience. Rather, respect is each player supporting each other, working together and not for individual recognition or record although that may come their way through hard work and ability.

It is why players like LW13 and KL89 return to the Bombers after playing for other teams.  It is why players like WJ5 and AB4 settle in Winnipeg.  It is a culture that brings players together and although money/income certainly comes into play, the culture and the resulting winning records have convinced some players to accept less money just to play with the Bombers.

Maybe other teams are blessed with some degree of a similar culture but it seems clear the Bombers have something special in the locker room, the game and beyond the game.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 20, 2024, 01:46:02 AMIf past history is anything to go by, the Bighill temp will be in-house and vet, which basically means Gauthier now that Briggs is gone.

Only if Biggie seems set for a 6G or season-ender do we even think about a rookie/sophomore at MLB.

Intriguing possibility: if 6G+ might we finally get our dream of an airlifted (couch or trade) legit allstar MLB?  Should we start the "who's on the couch", "who's a possible trade" chatter?

We have a number of "Biggies in waiting" on the roster, and in game, its usually a Nat (Gauthier) because that is how the roster has to managed.

If Biggie goes to the IR, an American comes on to replace him.  And Gauthier backs him up.  Jones moves over, Ayers in for Jones. 

Gauthier may sub in for Biggie, but I think Jones is the better fit.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

dd

Jones looked very decent in the BC game, and its reassuring to know, that with Bighill out, the defense really didn't miss a beat in the BC game.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on August 20, 2024, 05:18:27 PMWe have a number of "Biggies in waiting" on the roster, and in game, its usually a Nat (Gauthier) because that is how the roster has to managed.

If Biggie goes to the IR, an American comes on to replace him.  And Gauthier backs him up.  Jones moves over, Ayers in for Jones. 

Gauthier may sub in for Biggie, but I think Jones is the better fit.

Wonder how long Kyrie is gone for?  No word on what his injury is or how serious, it's just another mystery.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 20, 2024, 05:48:29 PMWonder how long Kyrie is gone for?  No word on what his injury is or how serious, it's just another mystery.

He was placed on the six-game injured list with a shoulder injury: https://x.com/CFL_Headlines/status/1816852499476938859

I can't confirm the injury specifics but his being moved to the six-game injured list shows up on CFL Transactions:

#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

J5V

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on August 20, 2024, 06:35:37 PMHe was placed on the six-game injured list with a shoulder injury: https://x.com/CFL_Headlines/status/1816852499476938859

I can't confirm the injury specifics but his being moved to the six-game injured list shows up on CFL Transactions:

He'd still be two weeks away then.
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 20, 2024, 05:48:29 PMWonder how long Kyrie is gone for?  No word on what his injury is or how serious, it's just another mystery.

Jones is playing LIGHT OUT.  So no rush for Wilson.  You definitely put Wilson back in if he comes back, though.  Both of these guys are FAST and some of our best tacklers.

Did you see Jones getting in the hole on a Stanback-with-steam run and just womping him flat in his tracks?  Jones was the hammer!  I was astounded, and I think so was Stanback.

I'm still not convinced we start a never-started IMP MLB in place of Gauthier though... ready or not, none of those IMPs have ever started.  MLB is more than just stopping runs.  You have to direct the D, and with Wilson+Biggie out we'd have no WPG vet in LB corps to do that!!
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

At this point I wouldn't switch Jones for Wilson even if he's healthy. Great football player but hasn't played much over the last three years (only finished 39% of games over that time) and I can't imagine how he'll keep that spot going into next year.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 21, 2024, 02:43:57 PMAt this point I wouldn't switch Jones for Wilson even if he's healthy. Great football player but hasn't played much over the last three years (only finished 39% of games over that time) and I can't imagine how he'll keep that spot going into next year.

Why not Jones to Biggie's spot and Wilson at WILL to be the "QB of the D"?  Jones has a lot more beef and stopping power than I thought he did, based on the wood he was laying @BC.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 21, 2024, 11:22:29 PMWhy not Jones to Biggie's spot and Wilson at WILL to be the "QB of the D"?  Jones has a lot more beef and stopping power than I thought he did, based on the wood he was laying @BC.

Sure - definitely an option and makes the most sense if Bighill is out awhile (and assuming Wilson is able to play again). But in the context of Bighill in the lineup and Jones or Wilson? I'm going Jones.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 21, 2024, 11:22:29 PMWhy not Jones to Biggie's spot and Wilson at WILL to be the "QB of the D"?  Jones has a lot more beef and stopping power than I thought he did, based on the wood he was laying @BC.

Jones is 6'-2" 235 lbs. so he's the best replacement for Bighill, other LB's like Cole and Ayers are more suited to playing WIL. Very thin on LB's currently they need to stock the PR with at least one more in case of another injury.  I was hoping Charbonneau would make an impact but it looks like the team is going to limit him to ST and a future replacement for Gauthier.

TecnoGenius

Jones making a huge impact once again, vs HAM.  He doesn't just tackle, he often slams guys dead in their tracks forcing them short.  And he's crazy fast.  And he's stout.  And look at those eyes, he really means business.

He really may have stolen Wilson's spot for the time being.  Maybe there are some options there for MLB snaps and/or having Jones or Wilson as the backup WILL -- if we want to sacrifice a DI there.

I have no idea how Cole will get back on the AR those scenarios.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 24, 2024, 01:10:16 PMJones making a huge impact once again, vs HAM.  He doesn't just tackle, he often slams guys dead in their tracks forcing them short.  And he's crazy fast.  And he's stout.  And look at those eyes, he really means business.

He really may have stolen Wilson's spot for the time being.  Maybe there are some options there for MLB snaps and/or having Jones or Wilson as the backup WILL -- if we want to sacrifice a DI there.

I have no idea how Cole will get back on the AR those scenarios.

Said it before but I think Cole has been bypassed, if he hangs onto a job at all it's going to be as a ST player who can fill in at multiple locations when injuries occur. He had his chance to establish himself as the next in line when Clements was not re-signed and failed to do so, now others have stepped over him.

Pete

Ayers has taken Coles spot. Griffin is backup for Kramdl. Cole has shown flashes but lack consistency that OShea counts on