Lions at Elks GDT Sun 6pm CT

Started by gobombersgo, August 11, 2024, 04:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd

Quote from: J5V on August 12, 2024, 01:53:27 AMFair enough, but now they're suffering a lot of injuries and are really up against it.
Ya I don't see them being competitive u til Adams comes back. We beat them next week and Then the riders and the west is going to be a dog fight !!

markf

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 11, 2024, 01:34:57 PMI hope they get a decent crowd over in Victoria today.

GO ELKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless Edmonton moved time zones, the game was in Edmonton today!  ;)

The BC "home" game in Victoria is vs Ottawa on August 31, the labour day long weekend.

gobombersgo

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on August 12, 2024, 12:51:06 AMThere is the MBT we know and love

2 Edmonton recievers next to each other and picked.

I'm not sure I've ever seen reverse double-coverage.  2 R against 1 DB, and then the DB makes the pick!!

I must say that Geno Lewis cost me big time in fantasy this week with a big fat ZERO.  He is rotting away there.  Maybe we can entice Gino over if we shed Lawler in '25...
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

It would have been better for BC to win.  I'm not sure we can realistically end up #1 in the W.  Maybe, but a long shot.  So why not let BC run away with it?  Sure, we want to win against them, but we should probably root for other W teams to lose to BC?

The problem with EDM winning is they are now only 1 win behind us!!  We can get in even worse trouble if they get saved by Ford and start winning every game... especially because we haven't faced them yet.  It was better when EDM was in the toilet with no hope.

Finishing 5th in the W is now back on the table.  I think we finish #1, but we could just as easily finish #5.  This is one wacky season, and the W is open to anyone who can take it.

BC shows once again that their winningness is all in their head.  When they believe, they are near unstoppable.  When they have doubt, they are no better than EDM.  (Yes, even with VAJ.)
Never go full Rider!

gobombersgo

You dont want BC to run away with the division because that might result in them taking it easy at the end of the season.

They play the Riders in week 19 and the Bombers may need the Lions to win that one.

The Zipp

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 12, 2024, 08:00:28 AMIt would have been better for BC to win.  I'm not sure we can realistically end up #1 in the W.  Maybe, but a long shot.  So why not let BC run away with it?  Sure, we want to win against them, but we should probably root for other W teams to lose to BC?

The problem with EDM winning is they are now only 1 win behind us!!  We can get in even worse trouble if they get saved by Ford and start winning every game... especially because we haven't faced them yet.  It was better when EDM was in the toilet with no hope.

Finishing 5th in the W is now back on the table.  I think we finish #1, but we could just as easily finish #5.  This is one wacky season, and the W is open to anyone who can take it.

BC shows once again that their winningness is all in their head.  When they believe, they are near unstoppable.  When they have doubt, they are no better than EDM.  (Yes, even with VAJ.)

Just need to take care of business when we play Edmonton.  With our poor start we don't have the luxury of sleeping through games - win them all and we will be fine.  There is no reason to lose any more games this season.  We play Montreal (the only team that is legit better) late in the season and they may be resting players.  The LDC will be our biggest challenge, apart from that the games are all winnable

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 12, 2024, 08:00:28 AMThe problem with EDM winning is they are now only 1 win behind us!!  We can get in even worse trouble if they get saved by Ford and start winning every game... especially because we haven't faced them yet.  It was better when EDM was in the toilet with no hope.

Did you see the game? BC and the Elks don't scare me at all. Neither do Calgary and Sask.

The Elks have beaten an injured, questionable Sask team without their starting QB and an injury riddled BC team without their starting QB. 

If we can't beat the Elks we don't deserve a playoff spot, simple as that. Ford, like VA, is not a big guy. He didn't even last two full games without getting crushed.

BC is getting a taste of what we went through with the injuries. Thankfully we are starting to get healthy again.

The West is wide open and a healthy Bomber team is going to be trouble for the rest of the teams in the league. I can very easily see us and Montreal playing bully ball again in the Grey Cup.
Go Bombers!

TBURGESS

BC's lost to the 3 worst teams in the West in the last 3 weeks and they've looked terrible doing it. They aren't the top team that they looked like at the beginning of the season. 

The Elks have won 2 in a row against the top 2 teams in the west. They aren't the free play on the Bingo card any more.  
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 12, 2024, 02:37:54 PMBC's lost to the 3 worst teams in the West in the last 3 weeks and they've looked terrible doing it. They aren't the top team that they looked like at the beginning of the season.

The Elks have won 2 in a row against the top 2 teams in the west. They aren't the free play on the Bingo card any more. 

It looks like Mtl. is in a class by themselves this year, in the end there will be one winner and eight losers.  Doesn't matter how they get there, they'll have one game to pull off an upset and redeem their season and last year's GC loss. The odds are rather long they can achieve this but anything is possible.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on August 12, 2024, 01:25:22 PMDid you see the game? BC and the Elks don't scare me at all. Neither do Calgary and Sask.

EDM is getting better (slightly), but that's not the problem.  The problem is they are starting to believe.  They might now think they can win.  Before they knew they couldn't, so they didn't.  Belief/morale is probably around 30% of the game.

Just like when loser-crap-bottomfeeder-in-standings WPG beat BC and felt like the top of the world, so does EDM.  In their minds they just beat the best-in-W (back out poser SSK for a moment), so they feel unstoppable.  I purposely say it in such a provocative way because to EDM fans and players that is precisely how we look and how they feel.  It's all about perspective.

Of course, we know we're right and they're wrong  ;)  ;)  ;)

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 12, 2024, 02:37:54 PMThe Elks have won 2 in a row against the top 2 teams in the west. They aren't the free play on the Bingo card any more

No, they are not.  Our best hope is that teams rapidly figure out Ford and the blueprint is obvious for everyone to use.  Hey, it worked last season.  Ford is very one dimensional.  And at the rate he's going with his constant dancing, he'll likely be long-term injured by that time anyhow.

I think we would beat EDM if we played them tomorrow (with fully healthy Ford), but it's no longer a cakewalk that you can just overlook and assume a W for.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 12, 2024, 03:46:08 PMIt looks like Mtl. is in a class by themselves this year, in the end there will be one winner and eight losers.  Doesn't matter how they get there, they'll have one game to pull off an upset and redeem their season and last year's GC loss. The odds are rather long they can achieve this but anything is possible.

Nah, they are still kinda posers.  They are a world-class D with an average O talent level but superb genius O coordination and planning.

You neuter their D the way teams that have done well against them have done: go all run and very short game.  You make it so Dequoy and Ento have nothing to pick.  The games MTL did poorly in Dequoy was invisible.

You need to stay on the field and score the WPG bully-ball way.  We are actually built perfectly to fight MTL.  When we end up in the cup together I expect a different result.

MTL O can be shut down.  They are average.  Their Rs are not great, except for maybe Philpot.  Rambo is getting all the action from Alexander, but he's not Mack.  Find a way to beat those hitch screens and find some solutions to fluster Cody.  The new looks we were doing against BC might be effective.  You basically have to out-chess Calvillo.  Younger might crack the code where Hall did not...
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 13, 2024, 07:05:38 AMNah, they are still kinda posers.  They are a world-class D with an average O talent level but superb genius O coordination and planning.

You neuter their D the way teams that have done well against them have done: go all run and very short game.  You make it so Dequoy and Ento have nothing to pick.  The games MTL did poorly in Dequoy was invisible.

You need to stay on the field and score the WPG bully-ball way.  We are actually built perfectly to fight MTL.  When we end up in the cup together I expect a different result.

MTL O can be shut down.  They are average.  Their Rs are not great, except for maybe Philpot.  Rambo is getting all the action from Alexander, but he's not Mack.  Find a way to beat those hitch screens and find some solutions to fluster Cody.  The new looks we were doing against BC might be effective.  You basically have to out-chess Calvillo.  Younger might crack the code where Hall did not...

Philpot injured last game and it's bad enough that he's going for an MRI on his knee. They won't be the same team with him.
Go Bombers!