Redblacks at Elks

Started by GOLDMEMBER, July 14, 2024, 02:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: markf on July 15, 2024, 02:27:30 AMPeople mentioned Reddit

Jones should have let the clock go to zero on prukop. T.d. At the end.

Nah, you want to play it normal because you might botch it on 3rd and OTT might be offside.  O/S on the 1 is very common.  If that happens you get a new set and you need time on the clock to try another 2-ish times.

No team should ever lose the game doing a deep KO with 6s left, unless it's a Stegall miracle TD or something.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on July 15, 2024, 06:34:45 AMYou called it....and they did.  Brown through an incredible last play strike to get them in range for a walk off FG 

Brown didn't even have to do that.  A 5Y run would have probably been enough for OTT to just kick or punt it through the EZ for a single.  A single would win it.  Get to the C or so and have your biggest leg hoof it as far as they can.

I knew EDM was doomed the instant they IKOOB'd.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

I thought Brown had an outstanding game. Glad he seems fully recovered.

It worked out in the end but I thought Ottawa should have gone for the TD on the 2 yard line. If they don't make it then Edmonton would have been starting at the 1 or 2 yard line instead of the 40 yard line.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: The Zipp on July 15, 2024, 04:06:40 AMHow many yards did he have when he got knocked out?

Just because a player plays well in a game doesn't translate into playing well in every game.  Dru was having a tough night against us  - doesnt mean he is trash. 

24 yards, in nearly a half.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 15, 2024, 09:39:26 AMTell you what I'd do, I'd look into the bank accounts of Bede, and his wife, and everyone in his family.  It wasn't just the KO...

Bede missed the chip shot 31Y FG earlier when EDM had a chance to tie.  Then he magically botches a KO.

Bede is a seasoned vet, been in the league a long time.  Maybe he can miss a 31Y, maybe.  But then to also screw up a KO in insane fashion at a critical point he was probably told to put straight down main street because there wasn't enough time for OTT to do anything?  Ya, I'm looking for incoming payoffs.

Problem with this theory is I don't think you could make any money on a bet that paid off if the Elks lose, it was the expected result, they always lose!

theaardvark

Jones has proven to be a master at engineering interesting ways to lose. 

The crowd was yelling for Tre, but he stuck to his guns with MBT and got the game tied up.

How he couldn't get the clock to zero on the TD (and the commentators were mentioning that its better if Prukop scores on the second try, to run time off the clock) I don't know.

How does a veteran with a huge leg like Bede manage to IKOOB (liking that acronym). And then how do they let Pimpleton catch that pass to set up the walk off?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on July 15, 2024, 04:06:40 PMJones has proven to be a master at engineering interesting ways to lose. 

The crowd was yelling for Tre, but he stuck to his guns with MBT and got the game tied up.

How he couldn't get the clock to zero on the TD (and the commentators were mentioning that its better if Prukop scores on the second try, to run time off the clock) I don't know.

How does a veteran with a huge leg like Bede manage to IKOOB (liking that acronym). And then how do they let Pimpleton catch that pass to set up the walk off?

I laughed, it set up another crazy victory celebration for the RB's!

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 15, 2024, 09:44:40 AMBrown didn't even have to do that.  A 5Y run would have probably been enough for OTT to just kick or punt it through the EZ for a single.  A single would win it.  Get to the C or so and have your biggest leg hoof it as far as they can.

I knew EDM was doomed the instant they IKOOB'd.

Kick it from the C? that's a 75 yard punt (counting end zone) or a 62 yard FG. Iffy at best.

Kudos to Brown on a perfectly thrown ball with the W on the line.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 15, 2024, 09:41:08 AMNah, you want to play it normal because you might botch it on 3rd and OTT might be offside.  O/S on the 1 is very common.  If that happens you get a new set and you need time on the clock to try another 2-ish times.

No team should ever lose the game doing a deep KO with 6s left, unless it's a Stegall miracle TD or something.
Should have run the clock to zero on third down, Ottawa offside, you get another down, you don't score the games over, you score you go into overtime. Pretty simple. Jones mismanaged the clock, and it cost him his job. Had bede done a proper kickoff maybe the elks win in overtime and jones keeps his Jon. But botching the clock I m sure cost him his job as that is the head coaches responsibility

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on July 15, 2024, 10:42:22 PMShould have run the clock to zero on third down, Ottawa offside, you get another down, you don't score the games over, you score you go into overtime.

Interesting, yes I guess a penalty gives them 1 more try even with 0:00?  But with 8s left you can squeeze in 2-3 more sneaks.  So if they go O/S you still want clock for that 2nd and maybe 3rd extra try.  It would suck if you bleed clock, get O/S with 0:00, miss, and then have no time for the 2nd try.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Waffler on July 15, 2024, 08:42:21 PMKick it from the C? that's a 75 yard punt (counting end zone) or a 62 yard FG. Iffy at best.

Earlier in the game a kicker kicked it from the 30 and it landed basically on the goal-line.  The same math would mean a kick from C could easily clear the EZ.

We've had this discussion before when Leggs cost us a game by not just going for a rouge.  Arguments over doing a punt vs "FG" attempt.

Whoever can kick the farthest, your P or K, from whatever formation you need (FG unit vs punting unit), that's who you put in to hoof it for a single.  If your FG unit is in, you don't even need to aim or care about the uprights: you just hoof that thing as far as humanly possible.

Dru got waaaay more yards than they needed to actually win.  Good for them.  Many HCs would just run it there because an INT could be disastrous and you already have guaranteed overtime in your pocket.

Too bad we didn't get to see this actually play out in reality.  I really would have liked to see an on-purpose rouge-for-the-win from the team B's 50-55YL.  I want to see how teams have gameplanned this out.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 15, 2024, 04:05:12 PMProblem with this theory is I don't think you could make any money on a bet that paid off if the Elks lose, it was the expected result, they always lose!

I was talking bribery/setup, not gambling.  However, even with gambling you can bet on the favorite to win and still make money: just risking more than you'll win (i.e. under 2.0 decimal odds; or like $100 gets you $80 profit).
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 16, 2024, 02:29:52 AMI was talking bribery/setup, not gambling.  However, even with gambling you can bet on the favorite to win and still make money: just risking more than you'll win (i.e. under 2.0 decimal odds; or like $100 gets you $80 profit).
I really don't think an investigation into Bede's bank account(s) would yield any results unless he was really feeling like taking a risk. Payment would have to be cash or some other non-traceable currency.
Go Bombers!

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 16, 2024, 02:28:24 AMEarlier in the game a kicker kicked it from the 30 and it landed basically on the goal-line.  The same math would mean a kick from C could easily clear the EZ.

We've had this discussion before when Leggs cost us a game by not just going for a rouge.  Arguments over doing a punt vs "FG" attempt.

We have to disagree on this. A field goal of that length is the record and it has stood for 23 years. Long, low percentage ones like that also tend to come back a long way which is a risk few coaches are willing to take. As far as the rouge that also would have to travel 75 yards to clear the back of the end zone, same as a punt.

A punt I feel would never travel 75 yards in the air unless a strong wind is carrying it. It likely lands short and gets returned out if need be. You are out kicking your coverage.

Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers