Ontaria "Pokey" Wilson

Started by theaardvark, July 13, 2024, 09:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on July 17, 2024, 04:25:51 AMYes, I remember when the board went nuts for 1 week over Carlton Agudosi. I would be really surprised if Wilson went down that path.

Yup, I think he had 2 TDs that game.  Then... poof.  People are getting way ahead of their skis here.

However, Pokey has a couple of differences in his favor: 1) He's not a Rogers-style huge-body one-trick pony receiver; and 2) The praise coming out of PAS for Pokey has been pretty high: Agudosi never had that.  When WPG coaches and players are really touting a guy, not the normal platitudes, I (now) stop and listen.
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

As good as Wilson was in the game against Calgary, he needs to be able to continue his consistency, his skills and build on his opportunities to be a formidable player on this team. 

That means taking advantage of every opportunity and performing at a level that helps this team win games.  He doesn't need to get 200 yards or even 100 yards every game but he does need to show he can be relied on to make this offence a threat in every game. 

Certainly the Riders are going to have to pay close attention to him.  That in itself gives us an advantage.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Pigskin on July 17, 2024, 04:25:51 AMYes, I remember when the board went nuts for 1 week over Carlton Agudosi. I would be really surprised if Wilson went down that path. 

I think what stood out in Agudosi's performance were his two receptions for TDs. He didn't even crack 100 yards in that game IIRC. I also think he was more of a known commodity at the time, too.

I think Wilson has more potential.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

theaardvark

Carlton went 6-7 for 70 yards and 2 TD's in his first game in 2022.  And then 0-2 in his next and last game.

He went 9-12 in 4 games in 2023 for 120 yds and 0 TD's

Not sure the comparison to Wilson is apropos.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

J5V

Quote from: ModAdmin on July 17, 2024, 05:59:40 AMAs good as Wilson was in the game against Calgary, he needs to be able to continue his consistency, his skills and build on his opportunities to be a formidable player on this team

That means taking advantage of every opportunity and performing at a level that helps this team win games.  He doesn't need to get 200 yards or even 100 yards every game but he does need to show he can be relied on to make this offence a threat in every game

Certainly the Riders are going to have to pay close attention to him.  That in itself gives us an advantage.
I agree and believe this is the realistic approach to take. A young receiver should emulate a guy like Wolitarsky. Almost never drops a ball, consistent as they come, runs great routes, never gives up on a play, is a great teammate and is good in the locker room, leads by example, looks after his body, and looks to bail out his QB at every opportunity. Strive to be the consummate professional. You've got to respect a guy that has developed his craft and ticks all those boxes.
Go Bombers!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 17, 2024, 04:33:11 AMYup, I think he had 2 TDs that game.  Then... poof.  People are getting way ahead of their skis here.

However, Pokey has a couple of differences in his favor: 1) He's not a Rogers-style huge-body one-trick pony receiver; and 2) The praise coming out of PAS for Pokey has been pretty high: Agudosi never had that.  When WPG coaches and players are really touting a guy, not the normal platitudes, I (now) stop and listen.

Yeah Agudosi was like the second coming after his one HUGE game. Like a first overall draft pick going down the tubes since their first game as a pro! ;)