Bighill done

Started by DM83, June 23, 2024, 03:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Mike on June 25, 2024, 03:41:34 PMI'm always so torn on this, especially in this day and age. With the way they shove betting in your face non-stop, teams should be forced to be more transparent with injury reports but OTOH, I think you need to respect privacy if the player as well.

It wouldn't be all that surprising to discover O'Shea is against the gambling component and does all he can not to cooperate. The whole gaming industry seems super sleezy to me, backed by Russian oligarchs and shady off-shore financiers.

dd

The gaming industry has always been a greasy sleazy industry, but they're desparate for advertising revenue and since there's no more booze or cigarette ads, we re left With the gaming skeezebags. Sad testament of the times we live in

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on June 26, 2024, 12:19:14 AMThe gaming industry has always been a greasy sleazy industry, but they're desparate for advertising revenue and since there's no more booze or cigarette ads, we re left With the gaming skeezebags. Sad testament of the times we live in

Haha ya.  From one vice, to another, to another.  Is any of these vices better than the others?  Why is it only the vices have enough money to throw around at advertising?

I just realized that F1 pulled a fast one... for years/decades there was no booze/cig ads allowed.  Now it's mega ads for Heineken 0%!!  They found a back door!  Just make a 0% beer no one will buy and claim now it's ok to put your brand name back on F1 because you're advertising juice, not alcohol!!  Brilliant!!

Oh, you're selling more Heineken (real) beer now too?  Total coincidence, I'm sure!

P.S. I'm not a prude by any means: I preferred F1 with booze/cig money because then they didn't need a stupid spending cap and dumb homologations.  If booze/cig ads in CFL allowed us to have 5X the cap, I'd be all over that.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 25, 2024, 03:37:55 PMNo team is under any obligation to divulge injury details to the media.

Right, but John Lu basically has carte blanche to roam the sidelines sniffing out stories.  In fact, I'd say it's his obligation.  He should be poking around the WPG bench and checking out Schoen and even asking him questions (off-air) if he feels like talking.  And bugging trainers for details, etc.

Every other league does this.  That's what reporters do.

It's pretty sad that 1.5Q's went by and TSN didn't even mention Schoen's name or notice he was gone!!  If I hadn't told everyone here about him being dragged off the field by 2 players 5 mins after the game, no one would have known squat that evening.
Never go full Rider!

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 26, 2024, 03:00:51 AMHaha ya.  From one vice, to another, to another.  Is any of these vices better than the others?  Why is it only the vices have enough money to throw around at advertising?

I just realized that F1 pulled a fast one... for years/decades there was no booze/cig ads allowed.  Now it's mega ads for Heineken 0%!!  They found a back door!  Just make a 0% beer no one will buy and claim now it's ok to put your brand name back on F1 because you're advertising juice, not alcohol!!  Brilliant!!

Oh, you're selling more Heineken (real) beer now too?  Total coincidence, I'm sure!

P.S. I'm not a prude by any means: I preferred F1 with booze/cig money because then they didn't need a stupid spending cap and dumb homologations.  If booze/cig ads in CFL allowed us to have 5X the cap, I'd be all over that.
I think it's sad when we prey upon Addict to fund whatever sport/event. Cigarettes, booze and gambling continue to ruin people's lives yet we ll turn a blind eye for a few bucks. What a Morales's society we live in.   No one vice is better than the other, they all make me sick, and I couldn't give a rip about cap space. Seriously. People continue die from cigs, but let's keep making and selling em. People lose everything they own to gambling addictions but hey if it means our cap space goes up who cares!? That's just sad.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on June 26, 2024, 12:19:14 AMThe gaming industry has always been a greasy sleazy industry, but they're desparate for advertising revenue and since there's no more booze or cigarette ads, we re left With the gaming skeezebags. Sad testament of the times we live in

I'm pretty sure I've been seeing Coors Lite commercials lately promoting blue ice, maybe it's the US feed for the NHL playoffs, not sure.  The Bombers podcasts feature the same commercials.

Jesse

Quote from: dd on June 26, 2024, 03:44:29 AMI think it's sad when we prey upon Addict to fund whatever sport/event. Cigarettes, booze and gambling continue to ruin people's lives yet we ll turn a blind eye for a few bucks. What a Morales's society we live in.   No one vice is better than the other, they all make me sick, and I couldn't give a rip about cap space. Seriously. People continue die from cigs, but let's keep making and selling em. People lose everything they own to gambling addictions but hey if it means our cap space goes up who cares!? That's just sad.

Not everyone who uses these products are addicts. And you can probably find a percentage of the population who's addicted to any product you may want to advertise.

I'm not really sure there's a solution here.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 26, 2024, 03:03:48 AMEvery other league does this.

Every other league also publicly discloses salary and contract figures.

The CFL doesn't really seem to care about transparency or accountability.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

dd

Quote from: Jesse on June 26, 2024, 10:41:13 AMNot everyone who uses these products are addicts. And you can probably find a percentage of the population who's addicted to any product you may want to advertise.

I'm not really sure there's a solution here.
Ya, not sure there is either. It's strange how lawmakers said no to cig and booze, but gambling that's ok, when really all 3 are closely linked to one another. But whatever