Winnipeg @ Ottawa

Started by Pigskin, June 09, 2024, 04:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkc60

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 12, 2024, 01:35:58 AMIt's not like they're hiding a big secret. It's just a professional team following a best practice for obvious reasons.

Maybe they will play Johnson. But they didn't officially activate him a day early so Walters can have an easier day tomorrow. You follow?
Maybe Johnson for Wilson, Wheatfall for Lawler?

Blue In BC

Quote from: kkc60 on June 12, 2024, 12:15:55 PMMaybe Johnson for Wilson, Wheatfall for Lawler?

Anything is possible except for CFL.CA transaction pages being accurate. Johnson was shown on the AR all last week even though he had been moved to PR. Lawler still shows on AR although he's been moved to IR. I know movement to IR usually happens the day before but nothing seems in sync.  How hard can it be to have rosters, IR and PR matching to reality.

Johnson might be in for Wilson, but then you'd think they'd transact Wilson to PR at the same time.

Makes the new depth chart always interesting each week.  More interested to see what happens with Bighill and / or the new LB's signed this week. Even though it's a short week, changes to ST's can be done quickly.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: theaardvark on June 11, 2024, 06:13:10 PMCall is a greedy pleasure, but I love seeing our draft picks excel, and Canadians in general.  Wolitarsky and Demski start at WR as Nats.  Both of them broke into the starting lineup in their first year.  Not game 2, but still.

Clercius is such an intriguing player to me. I want to see more of him on the field. I know he will get plenty of reps on teams, but I really want to see what he can do in the offence.  Especially with so many other weapons opening up the field for him.

Reading his draft profile, he seems prime for doing the dirty work that Bailey did, which we do not have on the roster right now.  I wonder if Walters drafted him because he fits the O'Shea mould. 

https://3downnation.com/2024/04/07/2024-cfl-draft-profiles-uconn-rec-kevens-clercius-desire-for-dirty-work-sets-him-apart/

Not greedy at all.  As a Canadian it's great to see Canadians succeed in the CFL.

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: Jesse on June 11, 2024, 04:12:59 PMIf they are so good at evaluating talent, you should be able to find a guy who is better at this moment in time than a raw rookie.

You have to stop miss using the word raw.  Not every is raw.  How long has Clercius been playing football?

Blue In BC

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on June 12, 2024, 03:19:59 PMNot greedy at all.  As a Canadian it's great to see Canadians succeed in the CFL.

I think we all like to see rookie and or depth Canadians get game reps when situations allow. Clercius looks to have talent but reps in practice and in game are important in the development curve.

That said, I felt the same way about O'Leary-Orange and will continue to watch him develop out east.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on June 12, 2024, 03:21:59 PMYou have to stop miss using the word raw.  Not every is raw.  How long has Clercius been playing football?

How many professional football players has he played against in that time? When we scout players, they're coming in from NFL camps, and from universities that produce NFL and CFL players. They're often a few years older.

This is not a talent issue. I'm not taking shots at Clercius. He just at a different point in his career than the guy we need on the field right now.
My wife is amazing!

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: Jesse on June 12, 2024, 05:47:26 PMHow many professional football players has he played against in that time? When we scout players, they're coming in from NFL camps, and from universities that produce NFL and CFL players. They're often a few years older.

This is not a talent issue. I'm not taking shots at Clercius. He just at a different point in his career than the guy we need on the field right now.

Raw is for a person like Brubacher.  Only started playing football in University, has athletic talent but needs to work on technique.

If you played highschool football, you aren't.

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 12, 2024, 03:33:33 PMI think we all like to see rookie and or depth Canadians get game reps when situations allow. Clercius looks to have talent but reps in practice and in game are important in the development curve.

That said, I felt the same way about O'Leary-Orange and will continue to watch him develop out east.

So a an American rookie can come in here and start right away and yourself be fine with it?

Blue In BC

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on June 12, 2024, 06:54:24 PMSo a an American rookie can come in here and start right away and yourself be fine with it?

Absolutely. Simple matter of supply / demand with American college competition greater than in Canada.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on June 12, 2024, 06:54:24 PMSo a an American rookie can come in here and start right away and yourself be fine with it?

I would expect a 26 year old coming off 3 years of NFL experience to beat out a 22 year old out of CIS in most cases, yes.

If we can't find a guy that is more professionally ready at this point in Clercius' career, it is a failure of our scouting staff.
My wife is amazing!

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 12, 2024, 07:06:25 PMAbsolutely. Simple matter of supply / demand with American college competition greater than in Canada.

Even though Clercius went to a DIV 1 school and had a better career than most?

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: Jesse on June 12, 2024, 07:08:04 PMI would expect a 26 year old coming off 3 years of NFL experience to beat out a 22 year old out of CIS in most cases, yes.

If we can't find a guy that is more professionally ready at this point in Clercius' career, it is a failure of our scouting staff.

We're not talking about guys who toiled around the NFL.  Many Yanks come in fresh out of college.

Blue In BC

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on June 12, 2024, 08:38:47 PMEven though Clercius went to a DIV 1 school and had a better career than most?

Still yes.  Still supply and demand in that larger US pool of players.

I'll be happy if he gets a couple of passes, breaks 5 tackles and scores 2 long TD's. That said, I don't think that's his role yet.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 11, 2024, 03:58:53 PMRedblacks sing Winston Rose to their PR.

That is interesting... I thought he retired?  I guess he was still waiting for a phone call.  I might have started up the "OTT wants our D plan" schtick again, except a) 2 days isn't enough, and b) last year's plan is pretty useless now that Younger is da man.

I've always been a huge Rose fan, but it's clear he's reached the end.  2023 was a bad year for him, and even in the playoffs he didn't up his game.  It's not his fault, DBs just get old fast.  (Love ya Rose!)

This could be plan B for OTT if their weak cast of DBs poop the bed.

Hopefully Rose will be on the sidelines for Strevie and the guys to chat with.  They seemed to get really close in that 2019 season.
Never go full Rider!