Bombers re-sign NAT LB Cadwallader

Started by blue_gold_84, December 20, 2023, 01:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/12/20/bombers-extend-national-lb-tanner-cadwallader-through-2025/

WINNIPEG - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announced on Wednesday morning that they have agreed to terms on a two-year extension with National linebacker Tanner Cadwallader.

He was scheduled to become a free agent in February.

Cadwallader (five-foot-11, 214 pounds) returns in 2024 for his fourth CFL season - all of them with the Blue Bombers.

Selected in the seventh round, 64th overall in the 2020 CFL Draft, Cadwallader has grown into one of the club's top special teams players. Since being selected out of Wilfrid Laurier, Cadwallader has played in every game over his three seasons, recording 38 special teams tackles (including 16 in 2023), four defensive tackles and one forced fumble.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Pigskin

Solid teams player. Nice to have him back, and for 2 years. one of our top 4 on teams.

Hallett 21 ST, Exume 17 ST, in only 14 games. Cadwallader 16, Cole 14.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

bwiser

Three signings in three days, keep them coming. Good depth player, solid special teams player.

Blue In BC

It's probable that offers have been made to most players the team wants to return. Some will take a little longer to complete discussions at this time of the season for players that don't live in Canada etc.

I suspect some deals have also been completed but announcements will be spread out to allow some PR for each player.

Although the sequence of signings doesn't mean much, it's just interesting to watch.

Cadwallader has been an effective player with some upside. At some point I'd think he'll start seeing more reps on defence. Two years is good.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

Can he morph into a Miller like ST tackler perhaps?
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on December 20, 2023, 11:35:42 PM
Can he morph into a Miller like ST tackler perhaps?

I think his main role will be to replace Briggs on ST, he doesn't have the size or skill to play real LB or compete with Cole or Clements at WIL.  The guy that may make an impact at LB is Max Charbonneau, the 6'-3" 225 lbs. Natl. that looked  good at last years TC.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on December 20, 2023, 04:15:40 PM
Although the sequence of signings doesn't mean much, it's just interesting to watch.

Cadwallader has been an effective player with some upside. At some point I'd think he'll start seeing more reps on defence. Two years is good.

Cadwallader has stood out since the first week he took the field.  I could tell he wasn't just another short-lived throw-away NAT STer.  He has a nose and he makes big hits.  His D duty has been limited to garbage times / garbage season, but he didn't look too bad, and has plenty of time to grow.

He strikes me as a Rush, Briggs, Gauthier type who can be a solid STer for 6-9 seasons.  A lot more upside than Thomas Miles, who was on the team a long time and ended up with a decent rep count on D.  He's a great compliment to Hallett's speed and shiftiness (yes, I know, different positions, I'm talking on ST).

Cadwallader might even have more upside than we currently can foresee.  His body type strikes me as an Ian Wild type, with a similar play style.  A NAT Ian Wild could be very useful.  Actually, a not-hurt-as-much Ian Wild could be very useful, and Cadwall hasn't been injured once, IIRC.  And the kid has heart, which always helps.

As for re-signing order, I swear KW does the keys / leaders first if he can so they all talk the rest into taking the stay-with-Bombers discount.  I'm not sure anything is done at random in WFC.  Neufeld re-signing is one of those keys as a leader and voice of the OL unit.
Never go full Rider!