Couture

Started by LXTSN, September 02, 2022, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LXTSN

So Couture is looking like he will be coming back into the lineup (and if not this week it should be next week).

Kolankowski has done a great job filling in at centre for him. If you were MOS, would you give him a shot at playing guard and bumping Gray out of the starting 5?
I do think Gray has improved a lot this year, but he still comes up with one really dumb penalty per game, where as Kolankowski made a couple errors in his first game, but has been fairly steady since.

If I were MOS, I'd play Couture at center and Kolankowski at left guard.

Blue In BC

Quote from: LXTSN on September 02, 2022, 07:27:37 PM
So Couture is looking like he will be coming back into the lineup (and if not this week it should be next week).

Kolankowski has done a great job filling in at centre for him. If you were MOS, would you give him a shot at playing guard and bumping Gray out of the starting 5?
I do think Gray has improved a lot this year, but he still comes up with one really dumb penalty per game, where as Kolankowski made a couple errors in his first game, but has been fairly steady since.

If I were MOS, I'd play Couture at center and Kolankowski at left guard.

I was wondering the same thing. OTOH Couture could still be an upgrade at center ( not knocking Kolankowski ) but he was our #1 Center. That may have impacted both guards overall. Neufeld is a much more experienced guard and might have had less issue with a new center than Gray.

So I'm cutting Gray some slack but the team will grade players every game. They will have a much better idea of who is best fit where. Every OL gets rotation during practice to gain flexibility.

My general feeling is that Couture will start once he's is deemed fully ready but it might mean being eased back. Beyond that I'm not sure whether they make additional changes.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

It pretty simple, Kolankowski goes back to backing up Couture and playing on the jumbo package.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

blue_gold_84

Getting Couture back at C would be an immediate upgrade even if he needs to get back to game speed. Kolankowski has done an admirable job but Couture's better in all facets, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on September 02, 2022, 07:36:44 PM
It pretty simple, Kolankowski goes back to backing up Couture and playing on the jumbo package.

The real question is whether Kolankowski is a better guard than Gray once Couture is at 100% at center.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 02, 2022, 09:59:33 PM
The real question is whether Kolankowski is a better guard than Gray once Couture is at 100% at center.

Gray has been improving each game after a very weak season start.  I watch Ko-man and Gray closely and I still don't know who really is to blame for that A-gap problem (we've now solved somewhat).

What week did Couture go down?  Some of those early Gray problems were alongside Couture, not Ko-man.

It could be the combo Gray-Ko that's the problem, or it could just be Gray.  In any event, I think Gray is making good progress so I'm not convinced Ko-man would flat out replace him as starter.  Someone has to really stand out (like Desjar) to leap-frog the more-senior guy like that.  Gray also seems like a real positive team-spirit guy on the field.

The sack problem lately is more on the whole unit.  They aren't clicking 100%, maybe due to hidden OT injuries.  Or they just have not (or can not!) gel.  But we do need better come playoff time, or before.  Can't have Zach hit like that.
Never go full Rider!

DM83

Holy molly!
You are right! When you are at the bottom, the only  place you can go is up.

Jesse

Wow -  no.

He is only in because Couture is out.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 02, 2022, 10:25:38 PM
Gray has been improving each game after a very weak season start.  I watch Ko-man and Gray closely and I still don't know who really is to blame for that A-gap problem (we've now solved somewhat).

What week did Couture go down?  Some of those early Gray problems were alongside Couture, not Ko-man.

It could be the combo Gray-Ko that's the problem, or it could just be Gray.  In any event, I think Gray is making good progress so I'm not convinced Ko-man would flat out replace him as starter.  Someone has to really stand out (like Desjar) to leap-frog the more-senior guy like that.  Gray also seems like a real positive team-spirit guy on the field.

The sack problem lately is more on the whole unit.  They aren't clicking 100%, maybe due to hidden OT injuries.  Or they just have not (or can not!) gel.  But we do need better come playoff time, or before.  Can't have Zach hit like that.

Gray has improved and might still be our best bet at LG. We'll see how much the OL improves once Couture starts after a few games. Part of the problem has been some inconsistency at RB and Collaros taking a few risks looking to complete the deep ball.

I'm not sure about any of this so it's wait and see how we adjust.

Ok. Couture moved from 6 game IR to 1 game IR. Not entirely unexpected but progress made in his recovery.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Tiger

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 03, 2022, 01:52:53 PM
Gray has improved and might still be our best bet at LG. We'll see how much the OL improves once Couture starts after a few games. Part of the problem has been some inconsistency at RB and Collaros taking a few risks looking to complete the deep ball.

I'm not sure about any of this so it's wait and see how we adjust.

Ok. Couture moved from 6 game IR to 1 game IR. Not entirely unexpected but progress made in his recovery.

Exactly

I want couture back but no need to rush until he is healthy
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

the paw

When Couture is ready, I expect Kolankowski to go to the bench, and for us to dress 7 OL until Couture is game tested.  I would then anticipate they might rest Neufeld for a week to get him healthy and give Dobson or Kolankowski a start at RG.
grab grass 'n growl