The Ford Brothers Discussion

Started by Throw Long Bannatyne, October 10, 2024, 05:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 10, 2024, 06:04:01 PMStarting an under-proven Ford over MBT is equally insane. They need to retain and get the best out of both talented QB's, Jarious Jackson has a Zach/Strev combo in his pocket but doesn't think to implement it.

It's more of a Great Value/Temu combo, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 11, 2024, 05:15:14 AMHas there been a single article or video yet that says T & T Ford give 2 poops whether they play together or not?  People talk like they've come out and said "we want to play together... or else!".

P.S. Does Tyrell have to pay the $500 for the ball he gave his dad?  Does he get to go to jail a la the jumbotron in BC Place  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

If you watch Ed Tait's long form interview with Tyrell the brothers are super close and in fact best friends, they vacation together and talk to each other almost every day, which is probably a crazy twins thing. They've also spent most of their playing careers on the same team right up through college at Waterloo, and according to Tyrell he'd love the opportunity to play with Tre again.

Kyle holds an advantage if he want to bring Tre to Wpg. especially if they win another GC, but it would require much juggling and a few painful decisions for it to ever happen. Zach would also have to promise to exit stage left after 2025.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 11, 2024, 04:57:08 PMIf you watch Ed Tait's long form interview with Tyrell the brothers are super close and in fact best friends, they vacation together and talk to each other almost every day, which is probably a crazy twins thing. They've also spent most of their playing careers on the same team right up through college at Waterloo, and according to Tyrell he'd love the opportunity to play with Tre again.

Kyle holds an advantage if he want to bring Tre to Wpg. especially if they win another GC, but it would require much juggling and a few painful decisions for it to ever happen. Zach would also have to promise to exit stage left after 2025.

Listening to the interview with Zach after he was traded here, he was ready to "find a real job" then.

I don't think it will be hard to sell Tre on coming here based on Zach "exiting stage left after 2025".  I think that writing is on the wall.  Especially if that season concludes successfully.

I think adding Tre in would go far to getting Zach through the 2025 season.  A offensive package that includes Zach's arm and timing, Tre's legs and a SY basher (Streveler/Wilson) would be amazing.  And well worth spending the money on.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 11, 2024, 04:57:08 PMIf you watch Ed Tait's long form interview with Tyrell the brothers are super close and in fact best friends, they vacation together and talk to each other almost every day, which is probably a crazy twins thing. They've also spent most of their playing careers on the same team right up through college at Waterloo, and according to Tyrell he'd love the opportunity to play with Tre again.

Breaking news: Twin brothers are close friends!

Both will go to the team that pays them the most. It may or may not be for the same team. Tre will have a limited number of options of teams who see him as a starting QB and want to give give a legit opportunity. Tyrell will probably have a pretty big market.

But neither will go to a team that pays them less or won't give them a starting opportunity just because that's where the brother is.
My wife is amazing!

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on October 11, 2024, 05:05:47 PMListening to the interview with Zach after he was traded here, he was ready to "find a real job" then.

I don't think it will be hard to sell Tre on coming here based on Zach "exiting stage left after 2015".  I think that writing is on the wall.  Especially if that season concludes successfully.

I think adding Tre in would go far to getting Zach through the 2025 season.  A offensive package that includes Zach's arm and timing, Tre's legs and a SY basher (Streveler/Wilson) would be amazing.  And well worth spending the money on.

I was listening to the CFL 110 podcast with Hustler and Jeff Hamilton, and Hamilton made this comment that Tre Ford was "unwilling" to run a short yardage package with the Elks (When MBT was the starter and Chris Jones was coach).

Then I looked back at the stats and he has zero rushing attempts the first 6 weeks.
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Jesse on October 11, 2024, 05:11:16 PMI was listening to the CFL 110 podcast with Hustler and Jeff Hamilton, and Hamilton made this comment that Tre Ford was "unwilling" to run a short yardage package with the Elks (When MBT was the starter and Chris Jones was coach).

Then I looked back at the stats and he has zero rushing attempts the first 6 weeks.

I get not wanting to be pigeonholed into that role but if it's true it's something O'Shea won't be willing to accept in a million years.

dd

Man, could we use Ford out there tonight....Collaros is struggling, what better way to get some momentum back than to put in Ford to run a change of pace offense. He's done it time and again in edmonton, yet they still go with MBT and the great interception machine.

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 11, 2024, 05:17:40 AMThey'd be insane to roll with Ford as their #1 in 2025.  Dude just isn't ready yet, if ever.  I'd be livid if KW announces Zach is out next year and Tre Ford is our #1!

EDM would be wise to QB shop in FA: one of the top-5 vets, or Alexander or Powell.  If they can't find anyone, MBT signed to a muuuuch cheaper deal so they can hire a better set of talent elsewhere could still spell success.

Dude is definitely ready.  Next year will be year four.  The team plays better with Ford at QB.  The touch on the touchdown to Tevin Jones,in the Rider's game says it all.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on October 12, 2024, 02:53:36 PMDude is definitely ready.  Next year will be year four.  The team plays better with Ford at QB.  The touch on the touchdown to Tevin Jones,in the Rider's game says it all.

Everyone in Edmonton is worried about their job next season, not sure anyone has the confidence to anoint Ford as their guy and live with the consequences.  Maybe it's up to Geroy to convince both QB's that it's in their best interest to remain with the Elks next season, if I was a new HC coming in that's the option I'd prefer to have available.

TecnoGenius

Thanks for that, I hadn't seen that interview.

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 11, 2024, 04:57:08 PMKyle holds an advantage if he want to bring Tre to Wpg. especially if they win another GC, but it would require much juggling and a few painful decisions for it to ever happen. Zach would also have to promise to exit stage left after 2025.

If Zach was magically gone in 2025, I would give up DB Ford to get Alexander from MTL before going after QB Ford just to have both brothers.

Gadget/running QBs don't win cups in the modern CFL.  Guys who know how to make reads from the pocket, maybe with some escapability, do.  Zach, Cody, MBT (or Kelly if you think he gets the credit for the GC win).

Maybe Ford finally "gets it" after another couple of years of dev.  Maybe.  In the meantime you'll be a .500 team... if you're lucky.

The problem for Ford is I think there's finally enough talent in the CFL that no team needs to gamble on Ford like OTT gambled on Dru.  And a huge gamble it would be.

To suggest WPG would be in such desperation-ville you'd have to be in to sign & start Ford as your #1 QB is truly bonkers.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 11, 2024, 09:01:24 PMI get not wanting to be pigeonholed into that role but if it's true it's something O'Shea won't be willing to accept in a million years.

You bet.  "Waaaaah I won't do SY duties waaaaaaaah".  MOS/KW: "bye!"

Since Ford has such athleticism, if he was the #2 or #3, I (and maybe MOS) would have him playing ST!!  ("waaaaaaaaaaaah!")
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 15, 2024, 01:32:22 AMYou bet.  "Waaaaah I won't do SY duties waaaaaaaah".  MOS/KW: "bye!"

Since Ford has such athleticism, if he was the #2 or #3, I (and maybe MOS) would have him playing ST!!  ("waaaaaaaaaaaah!")

If Ford refused to do what was asked, that news would be spread between CFL coaching staffs pretty quickly, and O'Shea may not be at all sympathetic to his reasoning.