Riders D. Williams suspended 1 game

Started by Blue In BC, October 03, 2024, 08:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 04, 2024, 12:41:20 AMI know that. However, the CFL has or should have rights as well. He appeared before the commish this week to state his case. It is not an arbitrary concept. I'm not sure I recall a suspension being over turned. At best it's reduced from 3 or more games.

I guess the question is about rights and my suggestion eliminates any loss of income in theory. I don't know that any player has a right to play per se.

Should a player ( Brown ) who takes out 3 QB's in about 9 weeks be allowed to appeal and delay a suspension if that had happened in his case.

Lemon was suspended permanently for violating the code of conduct. That's in the CBA too. It took 9 weeks but that was upheld again and applied. Either they had evidence which obviously they did, so there is no grounds for an actual appeal aside from " rights " in the CBA. That's just nuts.

Where do we draw the line. What about the rights of the player that may suffer long term or permanent injury.  Will Pimpleton play this week?

The CFL's rights and the "line" are the ability to suspend or fine the player.

I will agree that there should be a way to expediate the process in certain instances; but other than feelings, is there a reason that a suspension this week is better than a suspension next week after an appeal?
My wife is amazing!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 04, 2024, 01:04:03 AMFor complex off-field issues, sure.  However, for an in-whistle on-field infraction with 5 camera angles and 30k witnesses, perhaps there should be a different process.  They already interviewed/grilled Williams to get his side of the story before suspending him.  There is literally nothing more anyone can add nor any new epiphany that can be revealed... and as such, the appeals door should be shut.

It's like a fumble that command auto-reviews.  After they auto-review it, there is zero reason to challenge the fumble aspect.

As fans, it would be great if things were that simple.

As players, agents, and league officials, you can't suspend the rights of a player "sometimes". They either have the right to appeal or they don't.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on October 04, 2024, 12:02:23 PMThe CFL's rights and the "line" are the ability to suspend or fine the player.

I will agree that there should be a way to expediate the process in certain instances; but other than feelings, is there a reason that a suspension this week is better than a suspension next week after an appeal?

It's a question of whether an arbitration can even be held before the end of the season. As I pointed out it took 9 games before Lemon was finally not allowed to play. That was not the usual time it takes but it seldom happens by the 2nd week.

Also note that teams have suspended a player themselves without an appeal. IIRC, the Riders did that to Marino once?

Either way we'll see how this develops and whether the suspension is served before the season concludes.

EDIT: Williams shows as coming off the Rider AR this week. So that settle that issue of appealing.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

How could an appeal of this reqult in anything but an increased fine / suspension.  This was about as dangerous a play as happens in football.  Lifting a player up and dropping him on his neck?

Yes, CBA allows for an appeal.  The appeal should be made and adjudicated before the next game.  No reason it can't be in the days of ZOOM. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on October 04, 2024, 06:53:13 PMHow could an appeal of this reqult in anything but an increased fine / suspension.  This was about as dangerous a play as happens in football.  Lifting a player up and dropping him on his neck?

Yes, CBA allows for an appeal.  The appeal should be made and adjudicated before the next game.  No reason it can't be in the days of ZOOM. 

Things should absolutely be done faster than they are. But such is the way of the CFL.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on October 04, 2024, 06:53:13 PMHow could an appeal of this reqult in anything but an increased fine / suspension.  This was about as dangerous a play as happens in football.  Lifting a player up and dropping him on his neck?

As mentioned above, Mace has accepted the penalty and will not be appealing the suspension.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on October 04, 2024, 07:33:17 PMAs mentioned above, Mace has accepted the penalty and will not be appealing the suspension.

Point of clarification: it's not technically Mace's decision. The suspended player decides if he will appeal. It's his money and his choice under the CBA. Mace I'm sure has influence as his coach but if Williams was adamant he wanted to appeal he could and there's nothing Mace or anyone else could do about it.

GOLDMEMBER

At this point they should start fining the coach to get the message through.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on October 04, 2024, 09:19:56 PMAt this point they should start fining the coach to get the message through.

No one cares about OOP money unless it's also a SMS hit.  I would totally be fine with teams getting SMS hits after too many fines/suspensions... and/or lose DPs too.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 04, 2024, 09:11:24 PMPoint of clarification: it's not technically Mace's decision. The suspended player decides if he will appeal. It's his money and his choice under the CBA. Mace I'm sure has influence as his coach but if Williams was adamant he wanted to appeal he could and there's nothing Mace or anyone else could do about it.

And, if he appealed against Mace's wishes, you wanna bet he's off the roster for the next game?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on October 04, 2024, 09:11:24 PMPoint of clarification: it's not technically Mace's decision. The suspended player decides if he will appeal. It's his money and his choice under the CBA. Mace I'm sure has influence as his coach but if Williams was adamant he wanted to appeal he could and there's nothing Mace or anyone else could do about it.

If he's a smart player, he'll think and do whatever his coach tells him to. :D