Bombers sign quarterbacks Dolegala, Scott & Others to practice roster

Started by ModAdmin, September 17, 2024, 04:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers sign quarterbacks Jake Dolegala and Bryan Scott to practice roster

WINNIPEG, MB., September 16, 2024 – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed quarterbacks Jake Dolegala and Bryan Scott. Both players have been added to the practice roster.

Dolegala (6-7, 242, Central Connecticut; born: October 7, 1996, in Hamburg, NY) signs with the Bombers after being released by the BC Lions earlier this season. The quarterback has spent the last three seasons in the CFL, two with the Roughriders (2022-2023), and this year with the BC Lions (2024).

Dolegala has appeared in 24 CFL games, starting in 11, and has thrown for 2,968 yards on 246 completions for 12 touchdowns, while rushing for 112 yards and one touchdown.

In 2019, Dolegala signed as an undrafted free agent with the Cincinnati Bengals, spending the year on the 53-man roster, but did not see any game action. The quarterback then landed the New England Patriots (2020-2021), Green Bay Packers (2021), and Miami Dolphins (2021).

Dolegala spent his four-year collegiate career (2015-2018) with Central Connecticut State University. Over that time, he would complete 654 passes for 8,129 yards and 48 touchdowns, finishing with a career passer rating of 126.5 while also rushing for 292 yards and 18 touchdowns.

Scott (6-2, 220, Occidental College; born: August 17, 1995, in Rolling Hills, CA) signs with the Bombers after several stints in the CFL and USFL. In 2023 and 2024, Scott was a member of the Toronto Argonauts, dressing for all 18 games in 2023 and all nine games in 2024 before his release. In 2024, Scott threw for 79 yards on five completions, one being a 40-yard touchdown pass.

Scott briefly spent time with the Edmonton Elks in 2019, but chose to opt-out of his contract after the 2020 CFL season was cancelled.

Prior to joining the Argonauts, Scott started three games for the Philadelphia Stars of the USFL (2022), throwing for 558 yards on 60 completions for five touchdowns.

In his collegiate career (2013-2016), Scott appeared in 32 games, throwing for 9,073 yards on 763 completions for 77 touchdowns, and rushed for 402 yards and 13 touchdowns.

The team has also released American receiver Josh Johnson.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers add to practice roster

WINNIPEG, MB., September 17, 2024 – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the team has added quarterback Darren Grainger, defensive end Brandon Wright, defensive back Russell Dandy, receiver Penny Hart. All players are Americans.

Grainger (6-4, 225, Georgia State; born: July 21, 2000, in Conway, SC.) returns to the Bombers after a late release from this year's training camp.  Grainger spent a five-year collegiate career with Furman (2018-2019) and Georgia State (2021-2023). With Furman, Grainger appeared in 17 games, starting 12, throwing for 1,403 yards on 161 attempts for five touchdowns, while rushing for 353 yards and five touchdowns.

Upon a transfer to Georgia State for the 2021 season, the next three seasons saw Grainger start 36 of 38 FBS games, completing 554 passes for 6,779 yards and 57 touchdowns, finishing his collegiate career with a passer rating of 142.4. Grainger also rushed 456 times for 2,153 yards and 19 touchdowns. Grainger appeared for the Bombers against the Calgary Stampeders at the end of training camp, completing one pass for 13 yards, but left the game due to injury.

Wright (6-2, 250, Michigan State; born: Aug. 13, 2000, in Euclid, OH.) comes to the Bombers after a five-year collegiate career (2019-2023) with Michigan State. During the 2019 and 2020 seasons as a running back, Wright appeared in 12 games, rushing 24 times for 61 yards.

For the 2021 season, Wright was converted to a defensive end to strengthen the pass rush. From 2021 to 2023, Wright would appear in 28 games, starting in seven of them, achieving 44 tackles, six tackle-for-losses, 5.5 sacks, two forced fumbles, and one knockdown.

Hart (5-8, 180, Georgia State; born: July 5, 1996, in Roswell, GA.) joins the Bombers after spending four seasons (2015-2018) with Georgia State, and three stints in the NFL (2019-2023).

Hart was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Indianapolis Colts in May 2019. After landing on the injured reserve, he was released and signed to the practice squad of the Seattle Seahawks in October 2019. Over the next three seasons (2020-2022), Hart appeared in 39 NFL games, catching 11 passes for 82 yards and rushing once for 19 yards. The receiver then signed with the Atlanta Falcons but was released in October 2023.

In college, Hart started 35 of 38 games, recording 203 receptions for 2,960 yards and 19 touchdowns, 16 punt returns for 200 yards and one touchdown, and 15 kick returns for 299 yards.

Dandy (6-0, 170, Eastern Illinois; born: April 28, 2000, in Hinesville, GA.) returns to the Bombers after a release at the end of this year's training camp.

Dandy started his collegiate career with Butte College (2018-2019), where he would make 25 tackles, one tackle-for-loss, three knockdowns, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery in 15 games.

Following a transfer to Eastern Illinois (2021-2023), Dandy achieved 61 solo tackles, 13 assists, 3.5 tackle-for-losses, three interceptions, 24 knockdowns, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries in 25 games (24 starts). In his final year (2023), Dandy was selected to the First Team All-Big South Conference and led the FCS in passes defended with 19 knockdowns and one interception.

Dandy recently attended the New York Jets rookie minicamp after being unselected in the 2024 NFL Draft.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

theaardvark

Wilson has been good on SY, so I don't think we need Dolegala for that. 

It will come down to who can best adapt to the playbook quickly and provide a solid #2 option.

I've made my preference known for Scott, but we will see how they do in practice this week.

The expanded PR moves for the rest, should help the scouts decide who comes to camp next year, can't see any of these players jumping to the AR without a slew of injuries. 

Wondering about Wright, RB converted to DE.  Is that a CFL FB?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

kkc60

Quote from: theaardvark on September 17, 2024, 04:27:44 PMWilson has been good on SY, so I don't think we need Dolegala for that. 

It will come down to who can best adapt to the playbook quickly and provide a solid #2 option.

I've made my preference known for Scott, but we will see how they do in practice this week.

The expanded PR moves for the rest, should help the scouts decide who comes to camp next year, can't see any of these players jumping to the AR without a slew of injuries. 

Wondering about Wright, RB converted to DE.  Is that a CFL FB?
I'd say DE, and since he's only listed as such I don't think they'll play him elsewhere. But never say never

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on September 17, 2024, 04:27:44 PMWilson has been good on SY, so I don't think we need Dolegala for that

Riderfans threads about Dolegala->WPG talking about how he wasn't a great SY fit.  I agree.  Skinny extra-tall guys are not ideal.  If they are that tall they have to be a muscle-mountain like Stevens.

Unless/until Wilson fails I'd keep rolling with him.  He's been here all season.

Dolegala the likely #2 (injury backup) guy.  How quick can he learn the book?  Zach took 3-4 weeks, right?
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Bomber Diehard