Austin Mack joins the Als

Started by The Zipp, August 19, 2024, 05:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueforlife

TecnoGenius

2028??  Is that even a thing?  I don't think I've ever heard of that... 4.3 year contract??

Crazy!

So what's the $$ look like?  Wouldn't it have to be Kenny-level $$ to get Mack to commit like that?

Might this start a trend?
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Can they offer guaranteed money to a player returning after an NFL window?

If so, that's how you make a 4.3 year deal.

And, God forbid he gets injured, you hamstring your $SMS.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on August 28, 2024, 05:39:22 PMCan they offer guaranteed money to a player returning after an NFL window?

If so, that's how you make a 4.3 year deal.

And, God forbid he gets injured, you hamstring your $SMS.

Interesting question and I'm not sure there is anything preventing guaranteed money.

I just thought that the new deal provided a big jump in 2025 and beyond with a smaller jump for the balance of 2024?

I don't remember any 4 + year deals in the past. If there is no guarantee then in theory he could be cut in any season and he could leave via NFL option window as well.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Lots of questions.

Guaranteed money is only supposed to be for re-signing players, and there is a limited amount available, and a limit of what % of the deal it can be, IIRC.

If a player uses the NFL window, does the contract become void, or is it suspended?  If they return, is that contract still in place, or is he a FA, or does the team have a choice?

Cutting a player with future guarantees is not optimal, and even if a player is injured long term/career ending, pretty sure the guarantees are still in the $SMS IIRC.

Committing to a player long term is not an issue.  How you get a player to commit to you is the hard part.  Guessing Mack really, really likes it in Mtl, maybe has a GF there already?  And with the team trending hot, it should be a stable management structure for a while.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

His contract would be suspended. If he had not returned to the CFL until 2025 he'd have been a free agent. With the new deal, he could leave and not return for a year or two and still be under contract to the Als.

Whether they'd be still interested in 2026 or beyond is unknown. He could have injury issues etc etc.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on August 28, 2024, 06:08:15 PMLots of questions.

Guaranteed money is only supposed to be for re-signing players, and there is a limited amount available, and a limit of what % of the deal it can be, IIRC.

If a player uses the NFL window, does the contract become void, or is it suspended?  If they return, is that contract still in place, or is he a FA, or does the team have a choice?

Cutting a player with future guarantees is not optimal, and even if a player is injured long term/career ending, pretty sure the guarantees are still in the $SMS IIRC.

Committing to a player long term is not an issue.  How you get a player to commit to you is the hard part.  Guessing Mack really, really likes it in Mtl, maybe has a GF there already?  And with the team trending hot, it should be a stable management structure for a while.

I think Mack is essentially issuing a statement that he's committing to the CFL and is done riding the NFL roller-coaster.  I'd be very surprised if he changed his mind after signing on for 4 years, there's nothing accidental about his commitment.

TecnoGenius

MTL is going to be in cap h-e-double-hockeys this next FA.  So many #1-in-league players coming off ELCs.  Ento, Dequoy, LeStage, etc... and how about that QB Alexander?

How many will take steeeeep stay-here discounts to play for MTL?  How many will go seek double-pay on other teams?

Not that we'd ever have the money for it, but I'd pay top dollar for Ento.  That dude is an O's worst nightmare.

We should all be thankful, as MTL was getting waaaay too strong.  Any team will be hard pressed to beat them in EDF/GC this year.  (Though they do have weaknesses!)
Never go full Rider!