Washing a jersey

Started by TecnoGenius, August 27, 2024, 05:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

This may sound like a silly question...

But should you / how do you wash a Bomber jersey?  One of my favorites has 7 too many Shawarma Khan stains on it (cursed, but yummy, neon turnips!) after this last game.

The tricky part is: it has a signature on the white numbering, that I really wouldn't want to lose or blur or mess up.

Any tips from the laundry-capable in the crowd?
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

I'll leave the washing details to someone better informed, but generally if you want to save an autograph, you can't be wearing it and eating with it on.

You wear the jersey or you protect the autograph.
My wife is amazing!

bluengold204

You never wash a jersey on a winning streak

blue_gold_84

I'd probably just spot clean with a wet cloth and some dish soap. You could try an oxygen based cleaner but just be mindful to rinse it well.

I've used a Tide pen on both CFL and NHL jerseys and it's worked well enough on some pesky stains, too.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Blueforlife

Blue In BC

Battle worn ( in the stands ). Hang it proudly in your closet and go out and buy another 3 or 4 jerseys. You can never have too many.

:)
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on August 27, 2024, 12:09:46 PMI'll leave the washing details to someone better informed, but generally if you want to save an autograph, you can't be wearing it and eating with it on.

Now you tell me!!  Doh!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bluengold204 on August 27, 2024, 12:43:43 PMYou never wash a jersey on a winning streak

With all the spills shawarma causes, there are lots of "winning streaks" on this jersey!  That's the problem!   ;D  ;D

But I will take your advice and not clean it until we lose one... hopefully that won't occur until next PS!  :D  :D  :D
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on August 27, 2024, 01:52:36 PMI'd probably just spot clean with a wet cloth and some dish soap. You could try an oxygen based cleaner but just be mindful to rinse it well.

I've used a Tide pen on both CFL and NHL jerseys and it's worked well enough on some pesky stains, too.

I will try those things out.  Thanks!

The fact that no one is saying "chuck it in the washer on high temp" is finally making me realize why sometimes the crowd around me is a little stinky...
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 27, 2024, 05:44:07 PMBattle worn ( in the stands ). Hang it proudly in your closet and go out and buy another 3 or 4 jerseys. You can never have too many.

Between the kids and myself our house has plenty of jersyes now.  But I definitely have my favorite...

I do have plans to get another this year... but I'm having a really hard time deciding on the number.  I sense a lot of old-age and $$-FA turnover this next off-season...
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 27, 2024, 05:25:57 AMThis may sound like a silly question...

But should you / how do you wash a Bomber jersey?  One of my favorites has 7 too many Shawarma Khan stains on it (cursed, but yummy, neon turnips!) after this last game.

The tricky part is: it has a signature on the white numbering, that I really wouldn't want to lose or blur or mess up.

Any tips from the laundry-capable in the crowd?
I spot hand wash mine where stains are and arm pits are so to wash off signatures. Either that or, like very recently, have players resign my jerseys.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

bludan

You can also iron in the marker for the autograph.  Will still fade over time, but should help protect it

theaardvark

Quote from: bludan on August 28, 2024, 05:54:46 PMYou can also iron in the marker for the autograph.  Will still fade over time, but should help protect it

I wonder if "fixative" would make the marker more permanent.  Art supply stores sell products to make water based inks "permanent"...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.