Paging Stats Junkie...first downs

Started by The Zipp, August 02, 2024, 03:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Zipp

What is the lowest number of first downs allowed in a game ?

Sir Blue and Gold

What is the fewest number of first downs allowed when also making a 60+ yard field goal.

...We just set that record for sure, didn't we?  ;D

Blue In BC

Quote from: The Zipp on August 02, 2024, 03:07:32 AMWhat is the lowest number of first downs allowed in a game ?

Lions only had 4 IIRC. Can't get much lower than that. Could have set a record on that.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

They had 3 all game till about the 3min mark in the 4th quarter.  :D
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

That first half may have had a combined lowest first downs ever too.  I think it was mid-late 1st Q when a team got any first down.  Even though we got going the total for the half must have been low.
Never go full Rider!

Stats Junkie

The CFL record book doesn't mention fewest first downs in a regular season game.

It does list the fewest first down in a Grey Cup game - 6 by Winnipeg in 1965.

I did find this on TwiXter
Farhan Lalji @FarhanLaljiTSN - 57m
#BCLions 4 first downs matches lowest ever in any game in franchise history (1954). 102 net yards was the 7th lowest net offence in franchise history (now close to 1200 games). Most recent was 68 yds of net vs #Riders in 2019. Via @cfl stats guru Steve Daniel.

The 41:52 time of possession in the 3rd highest in the CFL since 1996
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Stats Junkie on August 02, 2024, 07:16:56 AMThe CFL record book doesn't mention fewest first downs in a regular season game.

Great stats, Junkie (and Farhan)!

It's great when you get to see history made in person.  Add in that Castillo 2nd 60-yarder and we had quite the night to remember!
Never go full Rider!

The Zipp

Quote from: Stats Junkie on August 02, 2024, 07:16:56 AMThe CFL record book doesn't mention fewest first downs in a regular season game.

It does list the fewest first down in a Grey Cup game - 6 by Winnipeg in 1965.

I did find this on TwiXter
#BCLions 4 first downs matches lowest ever in any game in franchise history (1954). 102 net yards was the 7th lowest net offence in franchise history (now close to 1200 games). Most recent was 68 yds of net vs #Riders in 2019. Via @cfl stats guru Steve Daniel.

The 41:52 time of possession in the 3rd highest in the CFL since 1996

Thanks so much, I knew you would have an answer.  I am going to call it a record low first downs..honestly I can't recall anything as low as 4 in a game. 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Stats Junkie on August 02, 2024, 07:16:56 AMI did find this on TwiXter

I think we can all agree on one thing: BC sucks. ;D
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

John T.

I haven't been able to find the lowest number of first downs in a game for the CFL, but both the Denver Broncos (1966) and New York Giants (1942) have had 0 first downs in a game.

ModAdmin

Quote from: John T. on August 02, 2024, 01:43:31 PMI haven't been able to find the lowest number of first downs in a game for the CFL, but both the Denver Broncos (1966) and New York Giants (1942) have had 0 first downs in a game.

In the professional ranks, you wonder how that is even possible!  Wow.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Stats Junkie

Quote from: The Zipp on August 02, 2024, 03:07:32 AMWhat is the lowest number of first downs allowed in a game ?
CFL records include WIFU & IRFU records.

A quick look through the dreadful 1949 season reveals that Winnipeg had a total of 13 first downs combined in 4 games vs Calgary (3,4,1,5). Winnipeg finished 1949 with a 2-12 record - good for 3 points in the standings.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that a team had 0 first downs at some point.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

The Zipp

Quote from: Stats Junkie on August 03, 2024, 07:09:47 AMCFL records include WIFU & IRFU records.

A quick look through the dreadful 1949 season reveals that Winnipeg had a total of 13 first downs combined in 4 games vs Calgary (3,4,1,5). Winnipeg finished 1949 with a 2-12 record - good for 3 points in the standings.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that a team had 0 first downs at some point.

Yah.  Those games were a lot more running than passing but that is a pretty inept team, thankfully I wasn't alive. 

I have been watching football since the mid the late 70's and don't recall many times a first down total that low.  The shutout games would likely be the candidate for low first downs.