our offence ..changes needed

Started by Pete, July 21, 2024, 03:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on July 21, 2024, 03:49:24 PM4 Oline; we are weaker but better than i anticipated at beginning of year. Lofton and Dobson seen susceptable to stunts and losing their assignments on pass blockin, hopefully that improves, Last game Collaros had time but wouldn't make the quick decision

Our OL has been doing much better against simple stunts in the last 3 weeks compared to the first 4 (which were horrible).  There has been progression, and as long as they keep progressing we can possibly overlook their (still) overall (modest) weakness.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on July 21, 2024, 08:15:17 PMlucky is cute, unfortunately he can't catch.

He can't hand-catch.  He can numbers catch and bucket catch.  So you give Lucky short/mid-short zone-sits, or hitch screens, or even deep over-the-shoulder passes.

You can't give him any ladder-climbs, or diving catches, or short/mid man reads.

If you show opponents you can hit a still-fast(ish) Lucky in-stride over the shoulder on a 40Y pre-YAC pass, they will have to respect the threat.  I would try very hard to make that happen in Lucky's first 1-2 games.  Even if you "waste" 2-3 shots a game on it.  If you don't prove Lucky's a threat, he'll end up being as (in)effective as Johnson.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on July 22, 2024, 02:34:02 AMZach doesn't have time and while he says his arm isn't weaker - it is...proof is in the underthrows

Did he say that on film?  Can you link to it?  I hadn't heard that.

For another underthrow theory, see my "delay theory" on the other thread... because he's not just underthrowing 60Y passes, but short and mid passes...
http://forums.bluebombers.com/index.php?topic=55839.msg1629342#msg1629342
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 22, 2024, 03:12:43 AMZach needs a dose of Matt Nichols, play it conservative, protect the ball at all cost, get first downs and any yards gained past the opponents 45 yard line is bonus points with Sergio playing so well.  They'd win a lot of football games if they achieved those objectives consistently.

Great point.  From week 1 to mid-2019 when he got Lemonated, Nichols was lighting up the league and completely dominating (so many people forget this).  And he never had a 65Y arm.  You can get huge TDs and YAC with a 50Y arm.  And Zach has that.  Work on the delay problem, maybe Ricky Ray in the pocket a bit more, and he can maybe re-achieve greatness -- albeit in a slightly different way.
Never go full Rider!