Blue Bombers' Depth Charts!

Started by Foxhound, June 06, 2024, 02:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 06, 2024, 06:53:23 PMCan you please pin it to the top and lock it from comments so it doesn't get buried in the game day thread?

This is the best idea ever!  But make sure we don't just get the stylized twatter version... we MUST have the "real" chart that ends up on game-tracker and the bb.com list.

Oh ya, if someone can get the above done on time, then surely bb.com can put it up in time too?!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 06, 2024, 06:21:51 PMIt will be handed out for free printed on nice paper when you arrive at the stadium. That will work right? You don't even need a computer screen or website at all. In the meantime, your problem can be solved with a 5 second Google search. I'll leave it up to you whether you believe that type of barrier is worth getting angry over.

It doesn't.  Search engines don't often pick up the newest chart for a few hours, and they are really bad with narrowing it to the game at hand, often showing ancient charts even if you try to limit to "last week" or "last 24 hours".

Before the cheeky response, did you actually try it?  I tried it on Jun 5 all day and into the wee hours of Jun 6, and while it eventually found the stylized chart, but it never did find the final chart!  The only way I got that chart early on Jun 5 was via Junkie's insider-scoop posting.  Ya, it probably finds it now, but that does nothing for us seeking out the real chart at the cutoff time the league says they must be submitted by.

It shouldn't have to be that way.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on June 06, 2024, 03:54:56 PMWell, I guess the are driving traffic to their socials. Something every business tries to do.  Take a product/feature, and make it only available on your scials to drive traffic there.

Not saying its good or right,m just saying it is normal business.

But it's not.  WFC is the only team that consistently does not have the real chart up on their web site by the cutoff time!  Let me repeat that: WFC is the only one!  Every other team gets them up at their same-all-season all-charts-here URL by the cutoff.  (There is one exception: HAM sometimes botches it as bad as WPG, but not consistently.)

I have every team's main depth-chart index page in a bookmark in FF and all it takes to get every other chart on time is for me to type: "depth <team-acroynm>" in my url bar and I'm instantly there.  Except WPG, because they don't link to the chart till like noon or something on gameday -- even though the league and the insiders have had the chart for 24-ish hours!

Normal business?!  Can you imagine an NFL team or nfl.com not having a chart up by the appointed hour?!  Can you imagine them saying "ya just guess which social fad site has our chart this week and go make an account there and click follow ya luddites!"?
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 07, 2024, 07:18:47 AMBut it's not.  WFC is the only team that consistently does not have the real chart up on their web site by the cutoff time!  Let me repeat that: WFC is the only one!  Every other team gets them up at their same-all-season all-charts-here URL by the cutoff.  (There is one exception: HAM sometimes botches it as bad as WPG, but not consistently.)

I have every team's main depth-chart index page in a bookmark in FF and all it takes to get every other chart on time is for me to type: "depth <team-acroynm>" in my url bar and I'm instantly there.  Except WPG, because they don't link to the chart till like noon or something on gameday -- even though the league and the insiders have had the chart for 24-ish hours!

Normal business?!  Can you imagine an NFL team or nfl.com not having a chart up by the appointed hour?!  Can you imagine them saying "ya just guess which social fad site has our chart this week and go make an account there and click follow ya luddites!"?

You're savvy enough to create your own browser macro things but you've spent 7 posts and probably an hour complaining about something that is as easy solved as going to Facebook, typing Blue Bombers and scrolling for 4 seconds. Okay. Who cares, man?

Foxhound

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 07, 2024, 07:18:47 AMBut it's not.  WFC is the only team that consistently does not have the real chart up on their web site by the cutoff time!  Let me repeat that: WFC is the only one!  Every other team gets them up at their same-all-season all-charts-here URL by the cutoff.  (There is one exception: HAM sometimes botches it as bad as WPG, but not consistently.)

Truth! It's only the Blue Bombers Depth Charts I've been having trouble finding the day before each game. That's why I'm complaining here.

:(
Radically Canadian!

Foxhound

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 07, 2024, 01:37:26 PMYou're savvy enough to create your own browser macro things but you've spent 7 posts and probably an hour complaining about something that is as easy solved as going to Facebook, typing Blue Bombers and scrolling for 4 seconds. Okay. Who cares, man?

Huh? What is this "Facebook" thingie of which you speak? Why do I need to go there all of a sudden to follow Canadian football which I've been doing since 1959?

There's been a place on the Blue Bombers website for the Depth Charts for the last ten to twenty years. Facebook and all these other "social media" sites are no substitute. Quite simply someone at the Blue Bombers' office has been dropping the ball here.

Radically Canadian!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Foxhound on June 07, 2024, 04:49:39 PMHuh? What is this "Facebook" thingie of which you speak? Why do I need to go there all of a sudden to follow Canadian football which I've been doing since 1959?

There's been a place on the Blue Bombers website for the Depth Charts for the last ten to twenty years. Facebook and all these other "social media" sites are no substitute. Quite simply someone at the Blue Bombers' office has been dropping the ball here.

You don't need to go there. Alternatives appear to be to get the information on this forum which is posted basically at the same time as social media or to wait for the website or get it for free printed at the game. If you've been following the CFL since 1959 you've clearly had to adapt. Maybe if it's a real issue and they get enough complaints they'll change it but there are easy solutions to your problem which take almost no time to do.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 07, 2024, 07:38:21 PMYou don't need to go there. Alternatives appear to be to get the information on this forum which is posted basically at the same time as social media or to wait for the website or get it for free printed at the game. If you've been following the CFL since 1959 you've clearly had to adapt. Maybe if it's a real issue and they get enough complaints they'll change it but there are easy solutions to your problem which take almost no time to do.

You're totally missing the point, repeatedly doing things in the same way improves both efficiency and organization.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 07, 2024, 07:52:49 PMYou're totally missing the point, repeatedly doing things in the same way improves both efficiency and organization.

I wish Costco wouldn't move around my stuff but I don't go complaining to the manager or spending more than 5 seconds worrying about it.

Foxhound

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 07, 2024, 07:38:21 PMYou don't need to go there. Alternatives appear to be to get the information on this forum which is posted basically at the same time as social media....

Yes, I'm happy to have learned that the Depth Chart can be found in the Game thread here on this forum the day before the game. But a Google search didn't reveal it here. I didn't learn of the presence of the Depth Chart here until I started this thread.

That though doesn't excuse the sloppiness of whoever at the Bombers office. The Depth Chart wasn't even on the team's website at kickoff time!

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 07, 2024, 07:38:21 PMIf you've been following the CFL since 1959 you've clearly had to adapt.

Yes, I've had to adapt. But keep in mind I've had to "adapt" to changes that haven't necessarily pleased me. Some of the changes almost seem to be designed to alienate me.

Radically Canadian!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 07, 2024, 07:38:21 PMMaybe if it's a real issue and they get enough complaints they'll change it but there are easy solutions to your problem which take almost no time to do.

Well, we've already identified one possible (half) solution that wouldn't require anyone in the Bomber or CFL offices to do anything: have the forum insiders post the stylized and "real" chart as soon as it's available into a sticky thread at the top of the thread list, and leave it up there until the next week rolls around.

It's the same amount of work as posting them to the GDT, but the fans don't have to wade around anywhere to find them.
Never go full Rider!

DM83

Bombers probably didn't know themselves.  I mean did OShea just ask who wants to play?  Players like the starting QB is so good he. Doesn't need to practice.just pretend he took mental reps. And see what it got you?  That guy was a noodle arm, and coast us the game.

When. Does that rourke. Kid come back from the NFL.
Or better yet, put Strev in.

TecnoGenius

Again, the non-fantasy players don't understand.  Us fantasy players put enough time as it is into doing the actual work to figure out the best player picks.  We don't need to add even 5 extra minutes to hunting down even one chart.  My wife is mad enough as it is with the time I spend!

And it's not meaningless or frivolous as both Foxhound and I often get in the top-10 country-wide in the games (out of 25,000 to 40,000 players), meaning we have a legit shot at winning the $5000-$10000 grand prizes.  (And mega bragging rights!)

Now, it's bad enough for us WPG fans who know the chart is somewhere in the GDT... picture yourself as an OTT fantasy player!  Or EDM!  I can only imagine how miffed they are.  They don't know about our forum and they wouldn't be able to find the chart on page 2 of some GDT!  Are they supposed to sign up for twatter and "follow" all 9 teams just to get charts?  What do they care about the rest of WPG's tweets?

And, like Foxhound, I'm not on Farcebook or Twatter, and I don't want to be.  I've programmed apps for FB and I see what kind of info they divulge to all and sundry, and what kind of outside-of-FB tracking they do.  I'm not going to take that punishment just to get a chart.  And Foxhound is correct: we shouldn't have to.

For those who say this is a non-issue, please address the point that this is only (for the most part) the WFC doing this.  That's ok with you?  The other teams get the "real" charts on their pages in a timely manner (most of the time).  And WFC used to do this on time also, like 2022 and earlier.  This new state of affairs is a regression.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on June 08, 2024, 02:42:58 AMBombers probably didn't know themselves.  I mean did OShea just ask who wants to play?  Players like the starting QB is so good he. Doesn't need to practice.just pretend he took mental reps. And see what it got you?  That guy was a noodle arm, and coast us the game.

Savage!  hahaa

But I will defend Zach's arm: we've seen true noodle arms, and that definitely is not Zach.  Think Nichols post-injury, or BLM in his last 2 years in CGY.

But Zach's issue may be harder to excuse then: he wasn't dialed in.  Because, as MOS said, he didn't really do much TC, or PS, or practice.  On the bright side, it's easily remedied as he can get dialed in pretty quickly now.
Never go full Rider!

Foxhound

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 08, 2024, 02:45:58 AMAnd it's not meaningless or frivolous as both Foxhound and I often get in the top-10 country-wide in the games (out of 25,000 to 40,000 players), meaning we have a legit shot at winning the $5000-$10000 grand prizes.  (And mega bragging rights!)

I don't think I've ever been in the top ten overall in any one week but about seven years ago I finished on top of the big Blue Bombers fan league (over 600 participants) one week and won tickets to the next game. These I had to turn down due to geographical reasons. But I was up to #13 or so for the season with a couple of weeks to go back in 2020(?) but I fell off to #23 with less than stellar results in the last two weeks.

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 08, 2024, 02:49:36 AMBut Zach's issue may be harder to excuse then: he wasn't dialed in.  Because, as MOS said, he didn't really do much TC, or PS, or practice.

Truth!

:-[
Radically Canadian!