WOW - Over 1 Million viewers for CFL

Started by boscoe, June 07, 2024, 03:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boscoe

What a great night for the CFL off the field and I think it shows the significance of the Quebec market. Forget Halifax They can't get anything together and seem incompetent about growing their community. Quebec nearly reaches 400k for a Alouettes game on both TSN/RDS? that is unbelievable and clearly the Als owner plans for expanding his network to the CFL will bring expansion to Quebec City.

iboxcandy.com/cflratings/

When I heard it on radio this morning that CFL hit over 1 million I am not surprised. Others seem to be. There seems to be a valid connection between expanding TSN coverage nationally on CTV. Should have been done years ago.

boscoe

I'd like to add that if the CFL with TSN/CTV signed on with a new rating company due to Nielson losing its accreditation for being a poor company what were the CFL numbers really the last decade? makes you wonder if the CFL was taken advantage of by TSN all these years.

Sir Blue and Gold

Is that company real? They are an actual technology company trying to disrupt the status quo with a website like that?

At least Nielson tells you how they come up with their numbers. How does iboxcandy?

And is this total viewership? Peak viewership? What? Across what platforms?

Also, your above post is very misleading. Nielson is accredited. They lost if for a year during the pandemic but regained it and remain the only accredited MRC company for both local and national tv ratings service.

boscoe

They lost their accreditation due to findings they were inaccurate.

Read the website of iboxcandy and their links to usa today articles forbes,etc talking about it. Nielsen isn't accredited for national anymore and they will never get it apparently as their system is flawed.

apparently this ibox just signed on with netflix and paramount is buying this company as they are almost to the point with ratings.

according to article there is no such thing as average,unique,total viewers, but they use invested time. So basically a rating number suggests thats how many people invest their time to the game. not channel surfers or people that watch 15 minutes of a program.

The article clearly states the rating is everyone in Canada that watches the event whether its at a bar, viewing party, at home, airport,etc. How they know? they talk about it but its beyond my comprehension. Ask the CJOB tech guy. He knows.

Sir Blue and Gold

Sure, maybe you're on to something. The website doesn't exactly scream organized, financed or trustworthy in the slightest though. And it's a technology company. It comes across as a start-up in someone's basement who spends too much time on 4chan. Happy to be wrong on this one, though.

boscoe

not sure. i heard it on radio this morning and saw it being posted around. i went to the website and read up on it. I don't understand it, but im fine with that. Basically i read forbes article earlier and it seems everyone in the usa refused to honor the numbers nielson was providing for various reasons and there has been occasions where blatant disregard to actual facts came about which is why nobody can trust nielsons. they don't even provide anything close to reality. This at least provides various viewing habits like streaming, watching at bars,etc.

How they do it? like i said i do not understand it lol

It is interesting that Montreal RDS spoke out that RDS numbers and english TSN likely leads the entire country in ratings. Which makes it a strong case for expansion in quebec.

TecnoGenius

To put the RDS numbers in context, what was the number for Manitoba?  Do we have that number?

One would think a MTL/WPG matchup would max out both provinces... though Quebec does have the massively bigger population advantage.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

I didn't know any of what you all are posting, so thanks for that useful info.

Maybe the new company factors in PVR viewing and Nielson didn't?  I PVR every game and watch most of them 1-12 hours later (except WPG games of course! Which I watch near-realtime but still on PVR).  In the past I wouldn't have counted, even though I'm a hardcore watches-every-minute CFL fan.

My friends (who only watch Bomber games) do the PVR / delayed watching.

Any new ratings company should also capture the legal (and illegal) streamers, if they can.  There's a ton of illegal streaming going on in all sports, and they aren't insignificant numbers; though they are useless from an advertiser standpoint since I'm told the streams black out the commercials.
Never go full Rider!