Top 50 Players

Started by TecnoGenius, June 05, 2024, 08:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

TSN aired a top-50-players show, as well as a couple other similar shows.  I had time to watch them just now.  Pretty good stuff!

WPG got 10 top-50 guys, the next highest teams had only 6.  Wow!

https://3downnation.com/2024/06/04/zach-collaros-tops-tsns-top-50-cfl-players-list-for-third-straight-year/

SPOILERS...

SPOILERS...

#48 Bighill
#47 Neufeld
#39 Bryant
#34 Nichols
#27 Demski
#15 Lawler
#9 Willie
#4 Schoen
#2 Brady
#1 Zach

Hard to beat that!  But we are down from 11 top-10 last year.  Losing Yoshi probably cost us that 11th.  Still, what a time to be a Bomber fan.  Enjoy it y'all!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

They are replaying these 3 shows throughout the day today (June 5) until 2pm, on TSN.
Never go full Rider!

BomberFan73

I'd have Demski higher.
I'll predict that Holm will make the list next year.

blue_gold_84

Five players in the top 15 and ten in the top 50 is crazy impressive.

The Canadian Mafia!
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Freebird

QuoteHard to beat that!  But we are down from 11 top-10 last year.  Losing Yoshi probably cost us that 11th.

Both Yoshi and Houston were in the Top 30, so that would have given us 12.

theaardvark

3 of the top 5 is even more inpressive...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 05, 2024, 04:47:38 PMFive players in the top 15 and ten in the top 50 is crazy impressive.

The Canadian Mafia!

At least we know where the majority of our SMS went, and why we don't have any money leftover for other important positions!   ;D  ;D  :P  :P
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: BomberFan73 on June 05, 2024, 02:43:52 PMI'd have Demski higher.
I'll predict that Holm will make the list next year.

Holm must have been right on the cusp.  But he didn't start acting all superstar until around mid-season.  I'm not sure if the list is to judge all of last season, or just what they did at the end, or what is predicted of them in 2024, or what...

A few that are out of whack to me:

Big Stan at 39?  No way.  Does that mean we kept the wrong IMP OT??  Crazy talk.

Lawler at 15 is clearly a result of him missing half the season, and not really living up to his salary once he was back in.

Schoen at 4 and Lawler at 15 is a disparity that does not represent reality.

Schoen at 4 after only 2 years vs every other superstar receiver in the league is quite insane.  That must mean most voters picked Schoen as their #1 receiver.  Keep in mind you have names like Eugene Lewis, Lawler, White, Begelton to pick from.

I wonder where Mack would have slotted in had he not bolted?
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 06, 2024, 06:59:35 AMHolm must have been right on the cusp.  But he didn't start acting all superstar until around mid-season.  I'm not sure if the list is to judge all of last season, or just what they did at the end, or what is predicted of them in 2024, or what...

A few that are out of whack to me:

Big Stan at 39?  No way.  Does that mean we kept the wrong IMP OT??  Crazy talk.

Lawler at 15 is clearly a result of him missing half the season, and not really living up to his salary once he was back in.

Schoen at 4 and Lawler at 15 is a disparity that does not represent reality.

Schoen at 4 after only 2 years vs every other superstar receiver in the league is quite insane.  That must mean most voters picked Schoen as their #1 receiver.  Keep in mind you have names like Eugene Lewis, Lawler, White, Begelton to pick from.

I wonder where Mack would have slotted in had he not bolted?

Just pointing out Schoen led the league in receiving in 2022 and was 3rd in 2023 after missing several game due to injury.  He deserves his #4 placement.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on June 06, 2024, 07:14:26 AMJust pointing out Schoen led the league in receiving in 2022 and was 3rd in 2023 after missing several game due to injury.  He deserves his #4 placement.

I can see it... but I can't.  Can't wrap my head around it.  I can glimpse what you are saying, but can't pull the trigger.

He's made zero circus catches.  Lawler does them every other game.  He's no gumby.  He's never laid out for a catch a la Dressler.  No diving.

He also makes less $ than Kenny... and White.  And...

He's very much an oddball as far as #1 superstar receivers go.  It would be interesting to pick apart precisely what makes him #4...
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: ModAdmin on June 06, 2024, 07:14:26 AMHe deserves his #4 placement.

Unequivocally so. I mean...

What does his third season have in store? I can't wait to find out. ;D
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 06, 2024, 07:21:11 AMI can see it... but I can't.  Can't wrap my head around it.  I can glimpse what you are saying, but can't pull the trigger.

He's made zero circus catches.  Lawler does them every other game.  He's no gumby.  He's never laid out for a catch a la Dressler.  No diving.

He also makes less $ than Kenny... and White.  And...

He's very much an oddball as far as #1 superstar receivers go.  It would be interesting to pick apart precisely what makes him #4...

So, because he's always in position, makes catching the ball look easy, he doesn't deserve credit?  Really?  He does nothing but get open, catch the ball and run with it.  I'll take 2000 boring yards any day of the week.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on June 06, 2024, 03:38:40 PMSo, because he's always in position, makes catching the ball look easy, he doesn't deserve credit?  Really?  He does nothing but get open, catch the ball and run with it.  I'll take 2000 boring yards any day of the week.

Watching that video Schoen takes a whole lot of punishment, if Zach wants him to be around at the end of the season he has to stop sacrificing him on middle routes, maybe another receiver like Clercius can handle the tougher routes. DB's seem to go out of their way to give Schoen the extra shot.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 06, 2024, 04:47:47 PMWatching that video Schoen takes a whole lot of punishment, if Zach wants him to be around at the end of the season he has to stop sacrificing him on middle routes, maybe another receiver like Clercius can handle the tougher routes. DB's seem to go out of their way to give Schoen the extra shot.

Holy smokes did Schoen take a massive hit while making an impossible-to-hold-onto grab in this week 1 game!  I saw the hit coming in and thought no way any player hangs on, or maybe he even turtle-whiffs like Duron Carter used to do.

But Schoen catches it, takes the mega-hit, driven straight to the turf, and comes up with the ball.  That is super impressive, and counted for a lot at that moment in the game.

But ya, hope his body can take that all season... maybe Dressler-diving would be easier on his body than those congested routes!!
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on June 06, 2024, 03:38:40 PMSo, because he's always in position, makes catching the ball look easy, he doesn't deserve credit?  Really?  He does nothing but get open, catch the ball and run with it.  I'll take 2000 boring yards any day of the week.

Not to mention all those TDs he scores. ;D
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず