Brown receives max fine for hit on Streveler.....Hurrah!

Started by Throw Long Bannatyne, September 17, 2024, 01:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBURGESS

Quote from: Waffler on September 18, 2024, 02:49:14 PMEVERY high hit or low hit with force should be automatic ejection. MOS is on record as saying coaching and players will adjust.

Punishment has to fit the crime and protecting QB's is #1. More than fighting, which already is  an automatic ejection. It seems Brown and Ssk in general feel they can head hunt with impunity. That has to stop.
Brown's hit was neither high (The Collaros one was), late (The Collaros one was) or low (Contact point was above the knees).

Hitting with force is a basic part of football. They're not playing touch.

If Brown releases Strev's legs, then he runs the risk of Strev running away from the hit. 

I think what you are actually looking for is in the NFL rules: 
QuoteA rushing defender is prohibited from forcibly hitting in the knee area or below a passer who has one or both feet on the ground, even if the initial contact is above the knee. It is not a foul if the defender is blocked (or fouled) into the passer and has no opportunity to avoid him.

Penalty: For Roughing the Passer: Loss of 15 yards and an automatic first down; disqualification if flagrant

This could/should be incorporated into the CFL rules in the off season to make things clearer.

The problem I see is the definition of the term flagrant. I'm sure you see the Brown hit as flagrant and that Riders fans don't see it as flagrant. One man's flagrant is another man's mistake. The Refs would have to make the decision in real time with a single view from a single angle. No matter what decision they make, half the fans will be upset. 
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Cool Spot

Re: this:

QuoteWinnipeg running back Brady Oliveira said postgame that he didn't believe the hit was dirty, saying it was "probably hard (for Brown) to try and avoid" hitting Streveler. Veteran offensive lineman Patrick Neufeld, who has played against Brown many times since 2022, told 3DownNation that he's not a dirty player.

However, this was the second time Brown has received supplemental discipline for an illegal hit on a Winnipeg quarterback after he knocked Zach Collaros out of the Labour Day Classic with a high hit.

Brown denied being a dirty player when speaking to the media ahead of the annual rivalry rematch, though he has now been the cause of three quarterback injuries this season, also taking out Ottawa's Dru Brown with low contact in Week 10.

Everyone will swear up-and-down that Brown is not a dirty player. Fine. But as the article says, this is the third time this season. To say that he plays hard isn't a defense because literally everyone plays hard. But everyone is not injuring QBs 3x in a season.

A player may not be dirty, but when you hurt another team's QB 3x and get fined in all three of those cases, when no one else has, I would think that makes you reckless.

Waffler

Maybe he is not dirty with the line play but the three hits on QB's all were. It got max fined last time in case anyone is still arguing for some reason. I don't listen to the contrarians, I know a dirty hit when I see it and I want it out of the league. If Miller and MOS hold any sway whatsoever there will be changes in the offseason be that a rule or at Commissioner if he hasn't got the backbone.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 18, 2024, 03:48:46 PMIf they meet the Lions in Regina for the WSF then there is a chance we meet them in the WDF. I don't see the Stamps or Elks making the playoffs.

He was being coy!  Read it again

woosh!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: TBURGESS on September 18, 2024, 05:18:02 PMBrown's hit was neither high (The Collaros one was), late (The Collaros one was) or low (Contact point was above the knees).

Riderfans would tell you Brown was held/pushed (can one be both?) into Strev and it's all Dobson's fault.  So according to the NFL rule it wouldn't be a penalty?  (I'm not saying they are correct, I'm just saying that's what they say, and the OL was in the picture to some degree.)

The problem with auto-ejection is: do we want Willy ejected a couple of plays into the '21 GC for his tap to Evans' helmet (because he was ducking to escape) that tweaks his neck?  He got RTP for that.

It's a tough challenge and there's a lot of grey area.
Never go full Rider!

TBURGESS

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 18, 2024, 09:24:32 PMRiderfans would tell you Brown was held/pushed (can one be both?) into Strev and it's all Dobson's fault.  So according to the NFL rule it wouldn't be a penalty?  (I'm not saying they are correct, I'm just saying that's what they say, and the OL was in the picture to some degree.)

The problem with auto-ejection is: do we want Willy ejected a couple of plays into the '21 GC for his tap to Evans' helmet (because he was ducking to escape) that tweaks his neck?  He got RTP for that.

It's a tough challenge and there's a lot of grey area.
He was held and hit from behind. According the the CFL rules, that doesn't matter. 

If the CFL went to the NFL rules, then Willy's hit wouldn't be a 'flagrant' hit so it wouldn't be a DQ. 
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: TBURGESS on September 18, 2024, 09:33:14 PMHe was held and hit from behind. According the the CFL rules, that doesn't matter.

Right, I was referring to the NFL rules.  Even by the stricter NFL rule they may not have DQ'd Brown.  So in that sense adopting it wouldn't solve this particular situation.

As for defining "flagrant": Does the blow itself have to be flagrant, or is behavior after the main blow taken into account.  For example, the Marino/Masoli hit wasn't that big an initial blow, it was the wrapping up and followup that did the most damage... just like Brown/Strev.
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 18, 2024, 10:01:30 PMFor example, the Marino/Masoli hit wasn't that big an initial blow, it was the wrapping up and followup that did the most damage... just like Brown/Strev.
Correct. When I watch the play develop you can see where he intentionally applies the force that did enough damage to tear three knee tendons in a big, strong man in peak physical condition standing in a vulnerable position. There was nothing but intent to injure on that play and no one will convince me otherwise. It was as dirty a play as you can make and it ranks right up there with what Marino did to Masoli.

Don't think for a second that had that happened in Regina and Brown incited the Rider fans to cheer the way Marino did they wouldn't have all joined in howling their delight. They are a sick, disgusting organization with sick, disgusting fans that would cheer a dirty play like that.

You watch, Brown will get another one before this season is over. He can't help  himself just like Marino couldn't help himself. They are what they are -- Rider scumbags.
Go Bombers!