Taquan Mizzell

Started by Blue In BC, May 31, 2024, 02:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on May 31, 2024, 08:57:07 PMAs I said, there may be players that our scouts were interested in because they fit our system but could not be recruited because they were on someone else's neg list that, if they get cut, our scouts will want to get them into camp to look at.

Back peddling much?  We only know they were brought to camp. Why that was done is only speculation.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: kkc60 on May 31, 2024, 03:00:48 PMEh, maybe but not really needed. I like Smith, but if he's not the guy or if Mizzell is an upgrade perhaps. Mizzell does offer a good bit as a receiver

I was just going to say the opposite.  I thought he stunk as a dump-pass and/or receiver guy.  I remember his hands being suspect.

However, I think he could be a decent gut-buster given a good OL and proper scheme/OC.  He would probably do much better here than in BC.  They used him on the edge way too much and he's not quite fast enough to make that work reliably.

To be honest, if we're going to dress someone, I'd rather have McCrae than Mizzell because he's much more balanced and provides a legit SB threat when dressed, as well as a RB backup.  I think any dressed IMP RB for us must be a legit receiving threat, otherwise why dress 3 RB?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on May 31, 2024, 06:36:48 PMI;m sorry.  I think any player cut from another team is not an answer for us.

It was hidden (and not so hidden) gems cut from other teams that propelled us to dominance in the '19 season and GC...

However, I think we do better either scalping the superstars (Willie, Biggie, etc) or scooping up the overlooked gems (Maston, Nick Taylor, Darvin, etc).  I would avoid the middle area of previous full-season starters like Mizzell.  They are cut because their production doesn't match their $$.
Never go full Rider!

pdirks67

Mizzell looked decent last year, but I'd keep Rosery on the PR and then pick up an American PR RB later if the need arises. So many American RBs around.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 31, 2024, 09:16:11 PMIt was hidden (and not so hidden) gems cut from other teams that propelled us to dominance in the '19 season and GC...

However, I think we do better either scalping the superstars (Willie, Biggie, etc) or scooping up the overlooked gems (Maston, Nick Taylor, Darvin, etc).  I would avoid the middle area of previous full-season starters like Mizzell.  They are cut because their production doesn't match their $$.

Not even close to accurate. He was cut because the Lions signed Stanback in free agency as their starter.

Also Mizzell was an ELC guy so $$$ matched to his production is out of context.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 31, 2024, 09:16:11 PMI would avoid the middle area of previous full-season starters like Mizzell.  They are cut because their production doesn't match their $$.

With one exception... potentially great players that are just being used completely wrong by inept coaches.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 31, 2024, 09:25:35 PMAlso Mizzell was an ELC guy so $$$ matched to his production is out of context.

Was he??  Was he still in year 1 or 2?  And they didn't renegotiate his contract when they made him their marquee starting RB??  Isn't that a bit odd?

And ya, clearly his $$ (no matter how much) still exceeded his production, otherwise he'd still be in BC!  They need someone to backup ageing Stanback!  Wouldn't an ELC with a full year of starting experience be ideal??
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 31, 2024, 09:27:57 PMWas he??  Was he still in year 1 or 2?  And they didn't renegotiate his contract when they made him their marquee starting RB??  Isn't that a bit odd?

And ya, clearly his $$ (no matter how much) still exceeded his production, otherwise he'd still be in BC!  They need someone to backup ageing Stanback!  Wouldn't an ELC with a full year of starting experience be ideal??

He may end up getting recalled and added to their PR after final cuts. It could be just a roster management issue.

We heard something similar in the past and more recently here with Case. He was cut because of an injury. He's not a veteran so no temporary IR for him. They release him and add another rookie to get a look at. In our case it was Vann that was added to our roster.

Now I'm just speculating that Mizzell might get added to the PR back in BC. I also suggested he may not accept a PR spot anywhere.  I haven't specifically heard he had any sort of injury but that's not unusual to not hear.

Teams seldom if ever re-negotiate rookie ELC deals when a rookie does well. Rookies start all the time.

Did the Bombers re-negotiate Schoen's deal when he became a star in his rookie deal? I don't recall that happening at all.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: pdirks67 on May 31, 2024, 09:19:06 PMMizzell looked decent last year, but I'd keep Rosery on the PR and then pick up an American PR RB later if the need arises. So many American RBs around.

That's not the worst idea but we also know that a RB needs time to know the playbook. He needs to work out his game  conditioning / readiness and timing. That's why they have a PR.

Smith may already be the import RB that heads to the PR. So then there would be less need for Mizzell or any newbie.

All bets are off until we see and understand the final roster decisions. At this point we can't even guarantee that Smith would accept a PR offer if that is the team choice.

I know a few posters think Smith could make the AR as the returner and back up RB.

That could happen but so could any of the other options.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 31, 2024, 09:27:57 PMWas he??  Was he still in year 1 or 2?  And they didn't renegotiate his contract when they made him their marquee starting RB??  Isn't that a bit odd?

He was going into year 2 so yes he was an ELC.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 31, 2024, 10:08:29 PMDid the Bombers re-negotiate Schoen's deal when he became a star in his rookie deal? I don't recall that happening at all.

True.  But Schoen is WR, so 1 of 5 starters.  Starting RB is a 1 of 1 and much more of a feature.  He's kind of like a QB.  That's really the only 2 positions where there is only one (P/K excluded).

You're probably right: if you can, why not keep them on ELC.

However, volunteering to give an ELC more $ in year 2 isn't unheard of.  Didn't Kelly get that after his GC performance?  And there's someone else, who's eluding my brain at the moment...
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 01, 2024, 07:16:21 AMTrue.  But Schoen is WR, so 1 of 5 starters.  Starting RB is a 1 of 1 and much more of a feature.  He's kind of like a QB.  That's really the only 2 positions where there is only one (P/K excluded).

You're probably right: if you can, why not keep them on ELC.

However, volunteering to give an ELC more $ in year 2 isn't unheard of.  Didn't Kelly get that after his GC performance?  And there's someone else, who's eluding my brain at the moment...

Kelly got a big new deal in year 2 but a starting QB is an exception. In general it is unheard of in the CFL.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Mizzell was cut because he was largely ineffective, especially in games against the Bombers. He's a small, quick, jitterbug RB, no CFL teams are currently having success with that style of RB, maybe the CFL is becoming more like the NFL in it's running style, only brawlers need apply.